F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My Results for WMI injection sweet spot for OTS Maps
Studio RSR

10-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440xi

My Results for WMI injection sweet spot for OTS Maps

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share some info after a couple of weeks of tinkering and testing my WMI setup. I am currently running the BM3 OTS Stage 2 93 octane map. I do have E85 around but it's a hassle to go get it, and I don't want to rely on that if I am further away from the pump. The 93 oct. gas I have around here doesn't seem to great so I opted for the WMI path. I am NOT tuned for WMI, was just looking for octane bump and cooler/cleaner engine. I am only going to comment on timing and not EGT since I didn't log those when I started this.

I used the same gas station the whole time while I was testing. I used the same roads for the tests. I used boost juice on all of the testing. I tried difference combinations of min/max psi but settled on 8 start and 13 max.

This won't be super scientific, more anecdotal since I am just interpreting my results.

I tried different nozzle combinations:
1x 250cc
2x 250cc
1x 250cc + 1x 500cc
2x 500cc

If you don't care to read the wall of text, the winner for me was 2x 250cc. Adding 10% meth to boost juice via yellow heet (99% methanol) made the best result.

The 1x 250cc barely made a very minor difference on timing pulls; however, it just didn't seem worth it to maintain the system for something that small. The single nozzle did allow the tank to noticeably last longer than any other, it was somewhat expected. I just didn't expect it to be so noticeable.

The 2x 250cc made a difference on timing pulls. It seemed to improve the beginning of the pulls, but towards the end of the pulls I would see some corrections start at 3*.

Naturally, I though the 1x 250cc and 1x 500cc would be the sweet spot, but my logging just didn't show that. For some reason it looked about the same as 1x 250cc and 1x 500cc.

The 2x 500cc showed worse timing, and eventually caused quench and misfires on the highway if I floored it (sometimes not all the time). Messing with the min/max psi progression injection didn't seem to really help this. The quench and misfire happened at the top end of RPM. That was strange to see as I expected it at the lower level RPMs. I'll admit, the ECU does great work handling trims, but it's still very reactive. I bet if I was tuned the 250+500 or 2x 500 would be the sweet spot for this. Even with the 2x 500cc, my STFT was a little higher than the 2x 250cc, which to me meant the methyl didn't seem to be making it to the cyl like it should. Probably due to too much water. The richness of the AFRs was pretty steady most of the time, but I think the sensor could also be missing some things.

I went back to the 250cc nozzles and added 8 bottles of heet (99% methyl) to my 3 gallon tank. This made the mixture 61.5% methanol and rest water. I mixed by volume so I think that calculation is correct. This 10% addition was a tip from Bootmod3 helpdesk. I was initially very hesitant to exceed the 50/50 mark, but the results do speak for themselves. (https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=616b...0b432372476fa2)

The results above looked better than adding 2.5 gallons of E85. Only problem is when I did the E85 stuff, it was months ago so the temp and gas could've played a role there. I think I will stick with the 60% methyl and maybe even try 70% at some point. Even when I get a custom tune, I won't ask to tune for methyl. The goal is still to never rely on it if it runs out. I'll accept timing corrections but not huge afr increases if I run out.

Last edited by vektorprime; 10-17-2021 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

I'm looking to do something very similar.

What are you using to control the WMI system?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
I'm looking to do something very similar.

What are you using to control the WMI system?

Originally I had the JB4 as a WMI controller but it wasn't progressive and I wasn't using the features of it. Meaning I wasn't doing boost control + WMI from it, just activate WMI at a certain boost. Their feature-set is cool if you have MHD and want to try it out. I then switched to the AEM controller since I wanted to use it with bootmod3.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/sites...structions.pdf

I used a p3 boost tap which takes the boost pressure into the controller. It wasn't hard at all, cool learning experience.

I highly recommend the stealth tank from burger tuning, it's cool and saves all trunk space. If you don't care about trunk space AEM has a 5 gallon tank that sits on the trunk.

I also have the new bms chargepipe which works well, the nozzle position is further from the throttle body vs the bms chargepipe spacer. I recommend any chargepipe where the bungs are before the sensors and further away.

Last edited by vektorprime; 10-17-2021 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2021, 01:18 PM   #4
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Thanks.

I already have the stealth kit, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

I also have a JB4 laying around, but I'd rather use something that works directly with a flash tune to kick on at a certain boost level.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

What psi start and full spray worked the best for you?
      10-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #6
vektorprime
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _N54 View Post
What psi start and full spray worked the best for you?

8 starting to 12 or 13 max. Starting earlier is always better from what I can tell. As long as quench doesn't happen. I will probably switch to 6 min to 12 max.
Appreciate 0