F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > XPH M-Perf style lip broke off the car
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: yes please

XPH M-Perf style lip broke off the car

So I had an XPH M-Perf style FRP lip sitting around for a while and finally got a chance to have it installed yesterday, along with the diffuser. So today, finally got a chance to take her out on the highway and it felt great. I thought it was a cosmetic upgrade but it legitimately felt like my steering was tighter and felt more planted.

It felt like that for abt 3-4 miles and suddenly THUD in the front end, and I knew something happened with the lip. I pulled into a gas station to take a look. The two fang pieces are still there but the long flat lip was gone.

I ended up going back and picking up a bunch of pieces of it from the shoulder of the highway. Recovered abt 3/4s of the lip in abt 6 pieces.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Installer was a professional body shop, not sure what to make of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
So I had an XPH M-Perf style FRP lip sitting around for a while and finally got a chance to have it installed yesterday, along with the diffuser. So today, finally got a chance to take her out on the highway and it felt great. I thought it was a cosmetic upgrade but it legitimately felt like my steering was tighter and felt more planted.

It felt like that for abt 3-4 miles and suddenly THUD in the front end, and I knew something happened with the lip. I pulled into a gas station to take a look. The two fang pieces are still there but the long flat lip was gone.

I ended up going back and picking up a bunch of pieces of it from the shoulder of the highway. Recovered abt 3/4s of the lip in abt 6 pieces.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Installer was a professional body shop, not sure what to make of it.
Unless you were going crazy fast install most likely wasn't done correct they don't just fly off unless you're going like 140 what did they use to install it?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #3
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:

Unless you were going crazy fast install most likely wasn't done correct they don't just fly off unless you're going like 140 what did they use to install it?
Tape and like 10 screws. Screws tore out of the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to mention I was going 70-80 mph, max, on a relatively busy highway.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im sorry to hear, sounds like it was not installed correctly.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im sorry to hear, sounds like it was not installed correctly.
What type of install issue could it be that would cause the lip to tear off at 80mph despite tape and screws?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
What type of install issue could it be that would cause the lip to tear off at 80mph despite tape and screws?
Depends what kind of tape and what kind of screws and how they were installed.
      10-11-2021, 09:41 PM   #8
Genieman
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone know of a decent quality eBay store that sells a version in gloss black?
Appreciate 0