F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Loss power and DSC light
GetBMWParts

10-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Brxzil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 330i xDrive

Loss power and DSC light

So today I got my tires rotated. They found a nail in my tire patched it up cool. Well after dinner with my brother and girlfriend I turned on the street and my car started sliding, DSC light came on and I lost power and couldn’t accelerate then it kept hesitating then finally came back on. I was in sport mode and I pulled over and smelt burning rubber and inspected tires and saw nothing. Well I saw that my wear sensor was snapped on my rear and I knew the light was on because I never replaced the sensor when I swapped new pads and forgot and couldn’t reset it. What could be the issue? I was told the wires being exposed to the elements could trick the system and think something is wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:03 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The brake pad sensor is a very simple device. A wire carries current out of one contact where the sensor plugs in, it passes through the sensor that's attached to the pad, a second wire carries the current back to the other contact where the sensor plugs in. Anything that causes a break either the sensor or the wires will cause the brake wear warning to be triggered. But it wouldn't trigger the DSC light. These items will:
https://mechanicbase.com/electric/ds...C_Light_Causes
Appreciate 1
Brxzil2.50
      10-15-2021, 02:07 AM   #3
Brxzil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The brake pad sensor is a very simple device. A wire carries current out of one contact where the sensor plugs in, it passes through the sensor that's attached to the pad, a second wire carries the current back to the other contact where the sensor plugs in. Anything that causes a break either the sensor or the wires will cause the brake wear warning to be triggered. But it wouldn't trigger the DSC light. These items will:
https://mechanicbase.com/electric/ds...C_Light_Causes
Thanks man I figured it was sensor related because I didn't happened until the sensor came off
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
MBake
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335iX

DSC fault

I was driving last night on a straight road when the DSC light came on and the brakes were definitely being applied. The temperature was about -1o degrees C. Would the potential faults in Billfitz's response apply in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'd say it was in some way related to the ABS, which can be triggered by a number of causes, including the ABS sensors, but not likely the pad wear sensor.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
MBake
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335iX

Thanks for responding. Will have it checked in the New Year. It seems pretty random so need to check again on a longer trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

OP, do you have a code scanner to retrieve and examine any stored fault codes?
Appreciate 0