F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Organised Crime Case - anyone else involved?
proTUNING Freaks

09-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
HeyDuggee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i, BMW X3 M40i

Exclamation Organised Crime Case - anyone else involved?

So, my M135i was stolen in summer of 2020. I recently received a letter from BMW Group saying that they have been working with the Met Police, and have confirmed that my vehicle was stolen as part of an organised crime operation.

Apparently, criminals had gone in to a BMW Stratstone dealership with forged documents claiming that they had recently purchased my vehicle from an auction. The dealership then handed over a key for my car to the criminals. Unbelievable.

When I spoke to the police they seemed to indicate I was one of many victims from this operation. Does anyone know of anyone else that has had similar contact from BMW/the police?

I'm now waiting for the dealership to contact me with a compensation offer. Something tells me it isn't going to come close to covering the loss and hassle that came from the vehicle being stolen in the height of lockdown last year. Does anyone have any advice/experience on how to handle a matter like this? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would have thought that your insurance company would have compensated you for the loss of your BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
I agree on the insurance statement. If you decided to pursue action from the dealer for negligence, I recommend you retain an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Handle what exactly? Your vehicle was stolen. The police are/were looking for it. Your insurance is in place to replace or compensate you for the vehicle. Once these things are done, there is little to "handle" but purchase another vehicle. If you have not received a settlement from your insurance company - more than a year ago - you should have long ago contacted an attorney.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-19-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Sounds like an opportunity for a class action lawsuit
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I'm confused, OP's car was at the dealer for servicing and the criminals managed to convince them it was actually a car sold at an auction, and they didn't even bother to check w OP?

Anyway, sure, OP's insurer should be involved to act as liaison, but hopefully the actual compensation comes from dealer's insurance cuz they messed up.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      09-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm confused, OP's car was at the dealer for servicing and the criminals managed to convince them it was actually a car sold at an auction, and they didn't even bother to check w OP?...
I think you are confused. Where do you read that the vehicle was at a dealership?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #8
HeyDuggee
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i, BMW X3 M40i

The insurance payout does not even cover the full value of the vehicle at the time, never mind:

- Loss of no claims bonus and the rise in insurance premiums.
- Days of time lost sorting the theft, hire car and replacement vehicle, at a time when my business was on the brink.
- Sentimental value - I was planning on keeping that car indefinitely.
- Breach of data - the vehicle was stolen from outside my house.

A minor detail I forgot to mention - BMW accepted that the forged documents did not meet their minimal standards.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #9
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDuggee View Post
The insurance payout does not even cover the full value of the vehicle at the time, never mind:

- Loss of no claims bonus and the rise in insurance premiums.
- Days of time lost sorting the theft, hire car and replacement vehicle, at a time when my business was on the brink.
- Sentimental value - I was planning on keeping that car indefinitely.
- Breach of data - the vehicle was stolen from outside my house.

A minor detail I forgot to mention - BMW accepted that the forged documents did not meet their minimal standards.
Then about a year ago, my statement below applies. Unless you pay for full replacement value, you never get... full replacement value. You get depreciated value. The other things like sentimental value, breach of data, time lost are things your attorney will have to sue the dealership for. They're not covered under insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
.... If you have not received a settlement from your insurance company - more than a year ago - you should have long ago contacted an attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyDuggee View Post
The insurance payout does not even cover the full value of the vehicle at the time, never mind: ...
If you've received an insurance payout - you're done with the insurance company. If you accepted an insurance payout that didn't satisfy your losses, you shouldn't have settled. If you settled (I don't know UK law but it should apply) you will have to sue the dealership for your residual losses above what the insurance company covered. It's likely too late to sue the insurance company if you cashed a settlement/payout check.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 09-19-2021 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think you are confused. Where do you read that the vehicle was at a dealership?
Ya, you're right, so not as bad as stealing the car directly from the dealership, they fraudulently got a set of keys and then tracked down OP's car wherever.

Still, I don't see how OP's insurance should be affected, it wasn't his/her fault, dealer's insurance should be doing the payout.

OP>
What exactly did your insurer say about this whole mess? Not sure why it has taken so long w/o any progress.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

Sounds like you need an attorney more than the opinion of a forum! That totally sucks to hear - best of luck!
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00
      09-19-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, you're right, so not as bad as stealing the car directly from the dealership, they fraudulently got a set of keys and then tracked down OP's car wherever.

Still, I don't see how OP's insurance should be affected, it wasn't his/her fault, dealer's insurance should be doing the payout.

OP>
What exactly did your insurer say about this whole mess? Not sure why it has taken so long w/o any progress.
I agree that their rate shouldn't be effected since this wasn't negligence or malfeasance on his/her part. Based on the OP's last statement citing "the insurance payout" - there may have already been a settlement from the insurance company. If that's the case, the only remedy is to sue the dealership for their part in the theft.
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I agree that their rate shouldn't be effected since this wasn't negligence or malfeasance on his/her part. Based on the OP's last statement citing "the insurance payout" - there may have already been a settlement from the insurance company. If that's the case, the only remedy is to sue the dealership for their part in the theft.
Haha, my reading skills have gone to hell today, missed that too. That's what I get for skipping bfast.

Not sure if OP said that's what the insurer proposed or it was already accepted. Should've consulted w more ppl/lawyers before settling if it was the latter instead of bringing it up after-the-fact (hopefully it's the former).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep

Difficult to know what the consumer protection is in the UK. Likely somewhat different than either of our countries. However, since the theft was accomplished by the actions of the dealership, I would be suing for a new replacement vehicle AND having the local/national news do an expose on the dealership's action to apply more pressure on them to do the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
In the UK if there is a claim on your policy, even a 'no fault' claim, we get stung the next year with increased premiums.

Even if we protect our no claims discount, we still will get a rise in premium. Typically on the record for 3/5-years. (The, "have you made a claim in the last 5-years" question).

I read the OP is asking how to handle claiming back the "additional" losses from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #16
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I read the OP is asking how to handle claiming back the "additional" losses from the dealer.
The answer is to get a lawyer and have them sue the dealership.

Interesting that they've admitted the docs weren't up to snuff for a couple of reasons:
1. Green light for legal action against them.
2. Sounds like an inside job?
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00