F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F3x brake rotor/disc & pad replacement guide
GetBMWParts

09-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #89
Nijenego
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2014 318d

Excellent guide! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #90
mode.grau
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17 340 M-Perf Ed. Fashion Grey

Retaining Pin Stuck!

Great write up and discussion here, thanks everyone.

I've run into a road block trying to do my brakes. My 2 fronts were absolutely no problem at all, everything went smooth. When it came to the first rear (rear right), the 2 pad retaining pins were absolutely impossible.

I did have a proper punch tool which worked just fine for the fronts, but on the rears I could not get them to budge. I tried everything I know/am capable of: hammering harder, WD40, hammering the pins directly, wiggling the pads so I know they're not binding to the pin, etc. I even removed the rotor by removing the caliper then bolted it back on for easier workability. I tried to clear up whatever gunk I could find on the pins. NO LUCK.

It got to a point where both my punch tool and the pins have now flattened out due to the amount of hammering I've done. The caliper's paint is completely f---ed as I stopped caring and decided I'll have to repaint it anyway. I had to abandon the project for this week as my body is aching and I've run out of the energy to figure it out.

I'm going to buy a replacement hardware kit and try to drill out these existing pins. If anyone has ANY feedback or tips to help out, it'd be much appreciated.

Aside: these are the original pads and the car has 67,000 kms on it. Still surprised that the fronts were no issue but the rears are causing me such a headache. Also, yes I had jack-stands as well.
Attached Images

2019 Golf R 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 06:10 PM   #91
CanadianHorseMan
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by mode.grau View Post
Great write up and discussion here, thanks everyone.

I've run into a road block trying to do my brakes. My 2 fronts were absolutely no problem at all, everything went smooth. When it came to the first rear (rear right), the 2 pad retaining pins were absolutely impossible.

I did have a proper punch tool which worked just fine for the fronts, but on the rears I could not get them to budge. I tried everything I know/am capable of: hammering harder, WD40, hammering the pins directly, wiggling the pads so I know they're not binding to the pin, etc. I even removed the rotor by removing the caliper then bolted it back on for easier workability. I tried to clear up whatever gunk I could find on the pins. NO LUCK.

It got to a point where both my punch tool and the pins have now flattened out due to the amount of hammering I've done. The caliper's paint is completely f---ed as I stopped caring and decided I'll have to repaint it anyway. I had to abandon the project for this week as my body is aching and I've run out of the energy to figure it out.

I'm going to buy a replacement hardware kit and try to drill out these existing pins. If anyone has ANY feedback or tips to help out, it'd be much appreciated.

Aside: these are the original pads and the car has 67,000 kms on it. Still surprised that the fronts were no issue but the rears are causing me such a headache. Also, yes I had jack-stands as well.
Oh shiiite. lol. Not pretty. I however had the same issue as you. Fronts prolly took me a max of 20 minutes. My rears calipers, pads, rotors (I did the whole job) took about 2 hours. Getting the caliper retaining bolts out took forever; I thought they were gonna snap off they were so hard to get out (due to the scotch lock crap on them). Pad retaining pins took A LOT of small/ and brisk taps to get out. I have 2 marks (one on each side) and I was quite sad

But yours are clearly depressing. I have no tips except maybe spray some wd on there or pbblaster and walk away for a day/night and try to tap them out the next day.

They’re stainless but I believe the spring/expanding washer thing is not very resistant to rust and that’s what’s stopping it from coming out.

I would recommend before you go back out there to work on it to go get some new pins.

I don’t get why we don’t slather on the brake grease or anti-seize on these pins, especially on the washer/spring part of the pin but the manual says not to do I didn’t do it.

Anyhow, good luck. Maybe it’ll buff out?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 10:39 AM   #92
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHorseMan View Post
Oh shiiite. lol. Not pretty. I however had the same issue as you. Fronts prolly took me a max of 20 minutes. My rears calipers, pads, rotors (I did the whole job) took about 2 hours. Getting the caliper retaining bolts out took forever; I thought they were gonna snap off they were so hard to get out (due to the scotch lock crap on them). Pad retaining pins took A LOT of small/ and brisk taps to get out. I have 2 marks (one on each side) and I was quite sad

But yours are clearly depressing. I have no tips except maybe spray some wd on there or pbblaster and walk away for a day/night and try to tap them out the next day.

They’re stainless but I believe the spring/expanding washer thing is not very resistant to rust and that’s what’s stopping it from coming out.

I would recommend before you go back out there to work on it to go get some new pins.

I don’t get why we don’t slather on the brake grease or anti-seize on these pins, especially on the washer/spring part of the pin but the manual says not to do I didn’t do it.

Anyhow, good luck. Maybe it’ll buff out?
I think most pads will come with new pins, my StopTechs did, at least.

I would also suggest trying to loosen/break free the retaining spring and try hitting the pins with some penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight. If they are seized due to rust (which it looks like is the case), I would also try consistent rapid taps on the punch/pins instead of single hard blows. The vibrations can help break the rust free
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #93
BeFitty8_F32
Melbourne Red F32 B58
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440ixm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
I think most pads will come with new pins, my StopTechs did, at least.

I would also suggest trying to loosen/break free the retaining spring and try hitting the pins with some penetrating oil and letting it sit overnight. If they are seized due to rust (which it looks like is the case), I would also try consistent rapid taps on the punch/pins instead of single hard blows. The vibrations can help break the rust free
Good to know about StopTechs. EBC Reds did not come with the pins.
      04-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #94
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeFitty8_F32 View Post
Good to know about StopTechs. EBC Reds did not come with the pins.
That is also good to know. Yeah the StopTechs (sports) came with both new pins and retaining springs
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #95
GeordieRacer84
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
My Zimmermann discs are currently suspect of some horrid noise. I feel the garage I used messed up during installation.

https://streamable.com/hr3ph

At first the brake shield was suspect but I've leveraged that away with full clearance, so now I'm thinking of refitting the disc. Last time I attempted (before getting the garage to do it for me) I couldn't shift the two bolts holding the caliper in.. what tool did you use? My breaker bar is around 2 1/2 ft long so it won't really clear the wheel arch
Hi There, what was the issue in the end? I think i have the same problem, First BMW, 2013 330d. Loving it but having some niggles!. Getting the rubbing noise as if the disc is not rotating true. gets worse when turning and goes away when apply bit of brake.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #96
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeordieRacer84 View Post
Hi There, what was the issue in the end? I think i have the same problem, First BMW, 2013 330d. Loving it but having some niggles!. Getting the rubbing noise as if the disc is not rotating true. gets worse when turning and goes away when apply bit of brake.

TIA
For me it was purely just the addition of slotted and dimpled rotors, the air gets trapped in them causing the sound. I believe fully drilled rotors aren't as bad but do have some what of a sound
      12-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #97
jrbeckie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 (435i with xdrive)

THANK YOU Daggers!! Will be doing this in the upcoming month and your guide is most helpful, even with little tips along the way
Appreciate 0