F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2017 340i Valuation
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

2017 340i Valuation

Didn't really think I would have to write this post as I loved my 2017 340i dearly. But I let my dad borrow the car a couple of weeks ago and he got into a major accident on the road. All parties including my dad are fine and nobody got hurt but the car is totaled due to major structural frame damage and damage to the engine. Doesn't look that bad in the picture but once the car was pulled apart at the body shop it was a mess

I just wanted to get a feel for what I should be aiming for in terms of the valuation of the car for the total loss payout. I am looking at current listings online for RWD 2017 340i in my area of similar mileage and options to get an idea of how much the actual valuation of the car should be. But I am in the northeast so we do not have many/any cars that are RWD that I can compare against. Any help/suggestions in what I should be aiming for here are greatly appreciated. I have put the mileage, color and options below for reference. This is a great community, thanks in advance for any suggestions

2017 RWD 340i
mileage: 40,871
Color/Interior: Mineral Grey Metallic, Venetian Beige Sensatec with Aluminum trim
Options: M Sport package, Adaptive M suspension, 400M wheels, Lighting package, Driver Assistance package, Technology package, Heated front seats
Attached Images

09-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Put your car’s specs in Vroom and Carvana to get a minimum baseline. Put the specs in as the car was before the wreck. Check BMW’s CPO site https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre....html#/results to get an idea of retail prices at BMW dealers. It’s probably a good idea to go ahead and compare to xDrive models.

Sorry about your loss. Glad everyone is okay.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
ashkanvafaee2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

kbb says 32-36k so that's my guess as well.

Keep in mind that insurance will pay a little more if you for example just replaced your tires or something like that (but you'll probably need proof/receipt). Also, double check that they correctly added all of your options when determining the amount. i.e. BMW's have a lot of options so I wouldn't be surprised if they forget to include things like a backup camera which would increase payout by a few hundred.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 11:37 PM   #4
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

it looks like the car has been swiped to the left by another vehicle, and the chassis / frame has shift to the left, similar accident on my car (not f30), from the outside it looked not as bad, but once you open the hood, you can tell the frame has shifted due to impact
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
it looks like the car has been swiped to the left by another vehicle, and the chassis / frame has shift to the left, similar accident on my car (not f30), from the outside it looked not as bad, but once you open the hood, you can tell the frame has shifted due to impact
Yup everything got squeezed and moved to the left. I would not get into the car again even if they offered to fix it Bc I see a lot of the frame and the crash support structure is completely bent and destroyed.
      09-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #6
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkanvafaee2 View Post
kbb says 32-36k so that's my guess as well.

Keep in mind that insurance will pay a little more if you for example just replaced your tires or something like that (but you'll probably need proof/receipt). Also, double check that they correctly added all of your options when determining the amount. i.e. BMW's have a lot of options so I wouldn't be surprised if they forget to include things like a backup camera which would increase payout by a few hundred.
That helps. I already found the original window sticker of the car and also receipts for the tires which were changed like 6 months ago. Just waiting for the insurance company to provide with the report they are using to make sure all options are captured
      09-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #7
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

it's a good time to get payback from insurance due to high price of used car, i hope you already have a second car so you don't have to buy in this ridiculously priced market, only sell.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #8
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
it's a good time to get payback from insurance due to high price of used car, i hope you already have a second car so you don't have to buy in this ridiculously priced market, only sell.
The irony is this happened 2 days before my dad picked up his new car. So I'm using that now and I don't have a commute to work. Probably going to wait it out and see if I can getting into MY19 or MY20 440i gran coupe
      09-16-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

If it's any help, I got my 2017 340 for 36k back in December from my local BMW dealer(not a CPO). I have a few more upgrades, but adjusting for higher prices now it would wash out. Someone above said 36-40k, and this is probably spot on — most likely on the higher side now.

-32k miles
-RWD
-M sport package including seats, wheels, steering wheel, brakes
-MPerformance Power and Sound Kit
-and all the upgrades you listed.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep

Insurance got back to me with a valuation of $31.5k before sales taxes and registration fee. Previously, they had the car valued at under 30K which was insanely inaccurate to me given the model year, mileage and options. I provided the original window sticker to the adjuster so they increased the valuation a little more.

I responded to these offers by sending a bunch of listings of similar cars selling for around $35k or more. I have liberty mutual if that matters, any help here in terms of how to get the valuation a little more accurate is appreciated.
      09-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooosh798 View Post
Insurance got back to me with a valuation of $31.5k before sales taxes and registration fee. Previously, they had the car valued at under 30K which was insanely inaccurate to me given the model year, mileage and options. I provided the original window sticker to the adjuster so they increased the valuation a little more.

I responded to these offers by sending a bunch of listings of similar cars selling for around $35k or more. I have liberty mutual if that matters, any help here in terms of how to get the valuation a little more accurate is appreciated.
Liberty Mutual is CHEAP. I did this process with them last year. I had to hire a valuation expert (cost $500) to get them to raise their offer. They raised the offer by $2,000, so we came out $1,500 ahead. This was on a very low mileage, ten year old car that belongs to my dad. The age of the car and the low mileage made it difficult to find comparable values. He has a lot of other insurance with Liberty Mutual. Otherwise we would have dropped them and moved to another insurer.

They should pay you a value so that you could buy a replacement vehicle at full retail price from a dealer.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #12
rooosh798
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for that advice, I am going to look into getting an appraiser because it feels like I am being low-balled on this. I don't think that these used cars selling for 3-4k less than the avg 34kish listed selling price.

LOL there's a couple 2018 340i's listed around me for 43k and thats with 30k+ miles and no options the used car scene is insane right now.