F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bootmod3 and Passing Inspection
proTUNING Freaks

08-04-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 335i

Bootmod3 and Passing Inspection

Hey everyone,

I was hoping that someone on the forums could provide me with some help. I have my inspetion coming up and was looking for advice. Currently, my 335i is stage 2 so everyhting that falls into that, mainly being a catless DP.

I have attempted numerous drive cycles to get everything into the "ready" state so I can pass NY emissions. I am aware that 1 monitor could be not ready, and currently, I only have two not ready. They are Evap and O2 sensor. Everything else is good including cats, heater, etc. Last year I was able to pass with the same setup running an o2 simulator, but this year it doesn't seem to be getting the job done. I have also tried defouler, but they throw a different code so they are no help.

Does anyone have a solution or workaround? Mainly, does anyone know if BM3 is keeping ether the 02 monitor or Evap monitor from getting ready? I have flashed back to stock and more monitors were un-ready then I could imagine. At this point, my closest and best bet is getting evap monitor ready, but I am not sure if it's doable or if bm3 suppresses that. If anyone has some insight or advice relating to anything like this please leave a comment. I appreciate it!
      08-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

This is just a hearsay from other on the forum and local southern California BMW with bm3 s1 and stock cat...that it passed the California smog( no more sniffer test) only obd2 check for smog.

So your only problem is that you have a catless dp.. . New York is no different that California or there is a difference
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #3
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This is just a hearsay from other on the forum and local southern California BMW with bm3 s1 and stock cat...that it passed the California smog( no more sniffer test) only obd2 check for smog.

So your only problem is that you have a catless dp.. . New York is no different that California or there is a difference

By s1 are you referring to stock tune or just the state 1 tune? I was trying to avoid switching to stock dp as that is time-consuming. There is no difference in that it is only obd2 test. All I really need is Evap to show ready, but not sure if tune prevents it from being ready. I have no pending codes ether.
      08-05-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I got bm3 stage 1 tune with stock dp... I use an obd2 diagnostic tool and it say everything is ready. So I will say it will pass the smog check through the obd2 port. I got 4 more years till I need to smog it tho as California decide to extend the smog on new car for 8 yrs in exchange for mandatory emission tax you pay during registration.

Sound like they just want the money....

It's always that catless downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep

Yea I hear you, it's all about the money. To be honest I would pay for the emissions tax myself. Do you mind telling me if your BM3 setting has catalytic monitors turned off or are they on the OEM settings? I am still trying to drive it to see if Evap will go ready. It doesn't make sense that BM3 would effect that monitor as not ready. The o2 being not ready makes sense though.
      08-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1941
Size:  117.4 KB
      08-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
Wiqidz
2 Time Vet
United_States
Rep

Hey thanks for the reply. I am aware of the drive cycle and have done it multiple times with clearing codes before and with not clearing them. I have prob driven close to a 100 miles with no luck. I am not sure if it takes multiple attempts or not. Everything else goes ready rather quickly, so I am not sure if it is a matter of time or what. Are you tuned or have passed inspection?
      08-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiqidz View Post
Yea I hear you, it's all about the money. To be honest I would pay for the emissions tax myself. Do you mind telling me if your BM3 setting has catalytic monitors turned off or are they on the OEM settings? I am still trying to drive it to see if Evap will go ready. It doesn't make sense that BM3 would effect that monitor as not ready. The o2 being not ready makes sense though.
I think catalytic monitor are on... that is why you get CEL when catless. What bootmod3 do is just suppress the CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

If you have a catless dp you will never pass that monitor. Bm3, MHD, JB4 just hide the light from showing in your dash cluster. The fault is still there, just no light.

If you want that monitor to pass you will have to swap in a dp with a catalyst.

Evap can take several drive cycles to complete. Make sure your tank is always greater than 1/4 full but not 100% topped off and you gas cap is tight. It will flip eventually. The sitting for 5 mins after a cold start and then again at then end of a trip for 5 mins should expedite things.

If you are not interested in swapping dp every year, I highly recommend a high quality catted dp. Active Autowerke and Fabspeed are both great options that will pass the emissions and flow near as well as catless.

Last edited by 435gc; 08-06-2020 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
ChadN55
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
If you have a catless dp you will never pass that monitor. Bm3, MHD, JB4 just hide the light from showing in your dash cluster. The fault is still there, just no light.

If you want that monitor to pass you will have to swap in a dp with a catalyst.

Evap can take several drive cycles to complete. Make sure your tank is always greater than 1/4 full but not 100% topped off and you gas cap is tight. It will flip eventually. The sitting for 5 mins after a cold start and then again at then end of a trip for 5 mins should expedite things.

If you are not interested in swapping dp every year, I highly recommend a high quality catted dp. Active Autowerke and Fabspeed are both great options that will pass the emissions and flow near as well as catless.
Bringing this back, new f30 owner. In Westchester NY and have a catted downpipe and bootmod3 but not showing readiness in my inspection currently. Anyone recommend a map?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #11
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I have a question, my car didnt have a CEL when I fitted a catted downpipe on for 3 months on stock MPPSK. After I flashed BM3 I started to get CEL for o2 sensor if I don't turn it off in the setting, if I flash back to stock tune the CEL disappear. If I flash back to stock without CEL will I pass emission inspection?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #12
ChadN55
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiqidz View Post
Hey thanks for the reply. I am aware of the drive cycle and have done it multiple times with clearing codes before and with not clearing them. I have prob driven close to a 100 miles with no luck. I am not sure if it takes multiple attempts or not. Everything else goes ready rather quickly, so I am not sure if it is a matter of time or what. Are you tuned or have passed inspection?

Did you get it to pass ever?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrizenashisland View Post
I have a question, my car didnt have a CEL when I fitted a catted downpipe on for 3 months on stock MPPSK. After I flashed BM3 I started to get CEL for o2 sensor if I don't turn it off in the setting, if I flash back to stock tune the CEL disappear. If I flash back to stock without CEL will I pass emission inspection?
The more aggressive the tune the more likely it is to throw a CEL as it makes the cat "work harder" - i.e., it has to treat more exhaust. You didn't specify your catted DP. Most of them do NOT pass emissions, meaning they will not get the monitor ready even if they do not throw a CEL (the two are different). Its possible to not get a CEL and also not get the monitor ready. Driving on the most conservative tune through the drive cycle is your highest chance of getting the monitor ready, but if the cat isnt "good enough", the car will pick up on that and the monitor will not get ready. The CEL doesnt come on immediately either, you have to drive enough for the car to detect catalyst efficiency is below the limit.
Appreciate 1
LA1Z24357.50
      05-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #14
dbldangertilt
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

I had to flash back to stock from bm3 91 stage 2 and complete the drive cycle before I could pass Oregon emissions test with my 435i and catted AA downpipe. Fyi
Appreciate 1
Fliplegend1471.00