F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Upgrading F30 headlights to laser
Extreme Powerhouse

11-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Upgrading F30 headlights to laser

Working with the Audi laser headlights I looked into the BMW laser ones. I'm incredibly impressed with them. Has anyone done any research into doing a retrofit? I obviously would loose some of the functionality with the road display features but adding the laser units into the existing adaptive led housings would be similar to what BMW has already done.

They're finally legal for use in the US and what an improvement over the already great LED headlights (once properly adjusted).

Would love some incite to anyone with more technical information than I have

videos for reference

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Just buy a g20.
      11-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #3
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Just buy a g20.
So buy a car that I don't like just for the headlights? your name suits you well lol
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

G20 headlights won't fit on an F30, so even discounting all the other issues that would arise it's not going to happen.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
G20 headlights won't fit on an F30, so even discounting all the other issues that would arise it's not going to happen.
I'm not saying a direct swap.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

The smoothest route would to be to retrofit the kit from retrofit source.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...SER?quantity=1
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
A direct swap is the only way it could work.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's sad, I guess I didn't realize the F30 community had no ingenuity in regards to retrofits.

I'll refer to the G05 forums. They think it can be done on their end.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...t=Laser+Lights
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
The smoothest route would to be to retrofit the kit from retrofit source.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...SER?quantity=1
Doesnt look like a bad price either. I was going to wait for a rear end totaled G20 to source parts from but I'll have to consider this as well. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's sad, I guess I didn't realize the F30 community had no ingenuity in regards to retrofits.
If you're so smart why haven't you figured out how to do it?

Quote:
I'll refer to the G05 forums. They think it can be done on their end.
They think that they can put G05 headlights onto a G05. That's completely different from putting G20 headlights onto an F30.
Appreciate 2
MaximusJ301.00
      11-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #11
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you're so smart why haven't you figured out how to do it?
Why do you think I started the thread? I wanted to bounce ideas off of people with the possibility of doing this when the time comes. You on the other hand seem to think that if someone wants to do something they're not allowed to get suggestions/ideas from others before they do so.

Not only that, there is no where have I claimed to be "so smart" that I didn't need help.

There is zero reason for your arrogance on this thread.

Quote:
They think that they can put G05 headlights onto a G05. That's completely different from putting G20 headlights onto an F30
They bring out details that the wiring for the adaptive LED and the LED+laser are the same and that for them it's more than likely a coding problem.

BMW adaptive LED wiring should be the similar if not the same across different body styles. Which means that it's more of a problem with getting the unit to fit into the F30 than it is to hook up electrically. At least that's what it seems like to me, I don't have wiring diagrams for either units to be able to check.

Now please, if you're going to be a jerk about me wanting to do something different than leave.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Bill can be abrasive, but if you read he is usually right.
If you want to do this you will be the innovator and you will have to figure out how to get it to work with out and coding etc required.

I’m happy with my HIDs amd the option to simply replace a capsule or ballast if one goes out which is why I wanted a preLCI over the LCI LED.

If you really want laser, then you will need to figure it out for yourself.
You might start with buying one of each and disassembling them.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Bill can be abrasive, but if you read he is usually right.
If you want to do this you will be the innovator and you will have to figure out how to get it to work with out and coding etc required.

I’m happy with my HIDs amd the option to simply replace a capsule or ballast if one goes out which is why I wanted a preLCI over the LCI LED.

If you really want laser, then you will need to figure it out for yourself.
You might start with buying one of each and disassembling them.
I've dealt with worse from different forums. Certainly didn't take anything personally but I dont want a thread to be jack by someone who refuses to even entertain the idea and gives up before even trying. I've been watching the web for a wrecked g20 to get them from. I've got the LCI LED so thats what I'm going to try and get them to fit in.

Coding is definitely something I'm going to have to work with others on. I dont know much of it. It will definitely be something where I would have to be diligent in making sure I dont blind someone because they will be tied into the highbeams and not its own separate circuit or I will wire in a new circuit and tie it in separate through the multi function switch.

From an electrical standpoint it can be done somewhat easily. From a fitment and function standpoint is where it will take time to get it right.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #14
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
That’s the point bill was making. There will be no coding because coding is only turning on or off preexisting options. Your solution will have to be standalone PnP. There is no coding possible because lasers don’t exist.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #15
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
That’s the point bill was making. There will be no coding because coding is only turning on or off preexisting options. Your solution will have to be standalone PnP. There is no coding possible because lasers don’t exist.
Saying they wont fit is different than there is no way to code. but PnP wouldn't be that bad. a fuse, a relay, and some wiring is easy to do.

By coding I thought you could change parameters for how much voltage it considered as a fault. I didn't want to have to deal with "headlight malfunction".

As I said before I don't know much about the coding aspect so thank you for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Working with the Audi laser headlights I looked into the BMW laser ones. I'm incredibly impressed with them. Has anyone done any research into doing a retrofit? I obviously would loose some of the functionality with the road display features but adding the laser units into the existing adaptive led housings would be similar to what BMW has already done.

They're finally legal for use in the US and what an improvement over the already great LED headlights (once properly adjusted).

Would love some incite to anyone with more technical information than I have

videos for reference

I know @ik6speed had talked about this concept with people for several years and was actually working on it when banned a year ago using F30 Adaptive LED casings from Europe as well as the Laser Components from European F Series Headlights. According to discussions several had with him at the time in private about this, the European Lasers are brighter than what is approved fir USA use in the G Series. He did not let the naysayers which you found in this thread influence him. He was the first to install a G series steering wheel in his F30 (2018) and I am not sure anyone else has been able to do it to this day! He also had night vision installed in his F30 along with retrofitting ATMs into a Pre-LCI vehicle with NBT EVO iDrive 6, CarPlay and a 10.2” Touchscreen. When banned a year ago, this forum lost access to the person who was able to do things like this unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #17
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
I know @ik6speed had talked about this concept with people for several years and was actually working on it when banned a year ago using F30 Adaptive LED casings from Europe as well as the Laser Components from European F Series Headlights. According to discussions several had with him at the time in private about this, the European Lasers are brighter than what is approved fir USA use in the G Series. He did not let the naysayers which you found in this thread influence him. He was the first to install a G series steering wheel in his F30 (2018) and I am not sure anyone else has been able to do it to this day! He also had night vision installed in his F30 along with retrofitting ATMs into a Pre-LCI vehicle with NBT EVO iDrive 6, CarPlay and a 10.2” Touchscreen. When banned a year ago, this forum lost access to the person who was able to do things like this unfortunately.
that's some pretty awesome fab work he was doing, shame he was banned. I didn't realize that the euro spec was brighter than what we get here, I will definitely be looking into that. Thanks for the insight!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #18
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I searched his name but didnt see any threads that indicated the retrofit, would you by chance know where it might be?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #19
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Does anybody have any info on these?

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #20
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I searched his name but didnt see any threads that indicated the retrofit, would you by chance know where it might be?
Forgot had these saved!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #21
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Quote:
Forgot had these saved!
I'm guessing these never went into production?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #22
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh really?
Appreciate 0