F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Help....... PLEASE, Carbon rear diffuser , installation ??
proTUNING Freaks

01-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #1
jakk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F34 335

Help....... PLEASE, Carbon rear diffuser , installation ??

Ok right I have a carbon rear diffuser arrived for my f34,
The garage that was going to fit this removed the original diffuser and tried to replace with this but when offering upto the car the carbon diffuser does not curve or bend like the original it's straighter and ridged, it would not line up and just kept popping out ! I've contacted the seller who says the bumper needs removal from the car then the diffuser can be secured to the bumper while off the car they said it would then fit?
the worry being will this presumably change the shape of the rear bumper to match the carbon diffuser curve ? as the bumper is more flexible, and on re fitting to the car will it now line up ? As the shape is altered by the diffuser?
Or would the diffuser just pop out?
This is a pain the seller is no help £350 diffuser I can't use.
Has anyone had experience with this sort of diffuser?
Please thanks for any help or advice?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #2
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

At the very least it seems it would be putting constant stress on the diffuser attachment points, even if attached to a removed bumper. As soon as the bumper goes back on properly the diffuser will be pulling against it. I would ask for a refund and purchase a different product.

Who made this one?
      01-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
jakk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32spaceship View Post
At the very least it seems it would be putting constant stress on the diffuser attachment points, even if attached to a removed bumper. As soon as the bumper goes back on properly the diffuser will be pulling against it. I would ask for a refund and purchase a different product.

Who made this one?
Company called CF modelling same as ssdd Motorsport, I've been looking and looks like some other BMWs that have carbon diffusers and they have same problems, but they have had to do the bumper off to fit and then back on the car ?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There's going to be some give to the CF, though not nearly as much as the bumper. I'd say the only way to find out if it will work is to pull the bumper to install it. I'd attach it starting in the middle, working out from there alternately left and right.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
jakk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
There's going to be some give to the CF, though not nearly as much as the bumper. I'd say the only way to find out if it will work is to pull the bumper to install it. I'd attach it starting in the middle, working out from there alternately left and right.
Thanks for your reply i think il have to try ? Hope someone who's had the same problems reads this and can help still too ?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
iluis7i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

When I installed the rear diffuser in my car, I did it without removing the bumper at first. I went from left to right and some of the clips did not fit in properly so I used a dermal tool to cut it down and it worked but the middle clips would pop out. As you can see in the first picture. Also the right side would not reach where the clips should insert and the holes underneath did not line up. I then removed the bumper after and clipped it in one by one from the middle to the edges and then everything clipped in and all the holes lined up as well. In the second picture it looks much better. As other's have said, removing the bumper and clipping it in is the best option. Hope this helps !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I saw a Kies installation video and he recommended getting double sided 3M type and remove one side of the tape. Get about a 2" long piece and fold that over each tab so 1" is on each side of the tab. This gives each tab more thickness. As you insert the carbon fiber tab into the bumper, it helps hold it in place all snug like. Dunno just an idea that may help.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #8
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Carbon Diffusers are more rigid and will not bend to the shape of the bumper. No matter who you get it from, you'll have the same issues.
You have to remove the bumper so the bumper flexes around the CB diffuser. Another issue with this you can come across is the tabs won't hold it in place. You can either drill some screws in between the tabs and bumper to act as a clip or maybe some zip ties. Either way you'll have to get creative, but you won't get far trying to install it with the bumper on.

Last edited by jv004; 01-06-2021 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
jakk
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all advice and help all fitted it went ok ish.... Il post updates asap thanks ��
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #10
BimmerBren
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i GT, 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakk View Post
Thanks for all advice and help all fitted it went ok ish.... Il post updates asap thanks ��
Hey man ik u have a f34. I just picked up an f34 cf diffuser today. I haven't started installing it yet but I wanted to see if u know how they transferred the parking sensors from the old diffuser to the new one. Thanks!
Appreciate 0