F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > So I spun my steering wheel hub
Extreme Powerhouse

01-13-2021, 09:14 AM   #1
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

So I spun my steering wheel hub

I decided to change my steering wheel for a new look and realized while pulling out that it was angled 30 degrees off-center. I know everyone warns you to be careful when pulling the wheel off so it doesn't spin, but they don't tell you how to fix it. Is there a specific way to correct the problem or will I need to spend a couple minutes doing trial and error till it works?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Following
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
I decided to change my steering wheel for a new look and realized while pulling out that it was angled 30 degrees off-center. I know everyone warns you to be careful when pulling the wheel off so it doesn't spin, but they don't tell you how to fix it. Is there a specific way to correct the problem or will I need to spend a couple minutes doing trial and error till it works?
best way is to make sure your wheels are strait then get a rough mid point on the hub and put it on. you'll need enough to allow the steering wheel to turn 1 1/2 times in either direction off of center without binding. It doesn't have to be perfect. granted these cars may be slightly different but that's what I've seen on all the others that I've worked on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Same deal when you change out the steering rack. You can try to get the splines to line up but usually you have to pull the steering wheel and adjust it a bit unless you executed surgical precision marking the location.

Basically the same process TheFanatic described. Get the wheels straight then center the steering wheel on the post. There may be a little trial and error involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you TheFanatic and erickonphoenix!

I just gave it another shot now and might have found a worse problem...
Looking at the wheel cores the notch that fits into the steering column is different between the two wheels. My OEM wheel has the notch dead center and fits back on normally, but with the new wheel, it's off-centered to the right which causes it to not be straight. Below are some pictures of both wheel and a close up of the notches.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I believe the donor core is from an f80/82 so I don't know If that explains the different notch placement, or if it's just bad manufacturing. I'm also assuming there's no way to adjust the steering rack to make the wheel sit straight.

Last edited by SC435i; 01-13-2021 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

That wheel hub may not be compatible if the guide splines are off. This is the part where you abandon the project, source another hub, source another wheel, or break out a wheel grinder.
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8225.00
SC435i9.00
      01-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #7
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Thank you TheFanatic and erickonphoenix!

I just gave it another shot now and might have found a worse problem...
Looking at the wheel cores the notch that fits into the steering column is different between the two wheels. My OEM wheel has the notch dead center and fits back on normally, but with the new wheel, it's off-centered to the right which causes it to not be straight. Below are some pictures of both wheel and a close up of the notches.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I believe the donor core is from an f80/82 so I don't know If that explains the different notch placement, or if it's just bad manufacturing. I'm also assuming there's no way to adjust the steering rack to make the wheel sit straight.
Aren't f10 steering wheels not compatible with F3x/8x? Maybe the donor car is a f10 hence the weird spline notch placement.
      01-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If all the switches all plug in and they work then you could try removing the raised section on the wheel hub that's supposed to fit into the groove on the shaft.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Yeah, that wider alignment tooth in the wheel splines needs to be in the same position BDC as your stock wheel

The wheel will never be straight when the wheels are straight with the current position on the aftermarket wheel

It's gonna be real tough to remove that raised alignment section on the new wheel without buggering up all the adjoining splines - if that happens u be really screwed

Why don't you contact the vendor with your pics/explanation, tell them they sent you a wheel based on wrong core, return it & get the correct wheel?

Once you start messing with that wheel or trying anything that may not work the vendor will never take it back on return
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
SC435i9.00
      01-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #10
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Aren't f10 steering wheels not compatible with F3x/8x? Maybe the donor car is a f10 hence the weird spline notch placement.
I had no idea that was the case but it would definitely explain the notches not lining up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If all the switches all plug in and they work then you could try removing the raised section on the wheel hub that's supposed to fit into the groove on the shaft.
They do. I plugged everything in last night and it works normally. I'm going to take it to a good shop to see if it the realm of possibility to realign it without completely destroying the adjacent splines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Once you start messing with that wheel or trying anything that may not work the vendor will never take it back on return
I 100% agree. I already contacted the vendor to see what could be done, but it's from Alibaba (no surprise why this happened) so I'm hesitant to deal with their customer service/wait another 4 months for the wheel
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I'm going to take it to a good shop to see if it the realm of possibility to realign it without completely destroying the adjacent splines.
It would be a simple job with the right tool, for instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUJONH6...0a613fab617004
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #12
SC435i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hopefully, that's the case then. If I knew what I was doing I'd give it a shot, but I'm not ready to start learning on my wheel so I'll leave it to the pros lol
Appreciate 0