F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
Studio RSR

07-21-2020, 08:44 PM   #89
Cobra Kai
Rep
Drives: 16 340i || 06 Audi A4 S-Line

I came across this thread after getting ready to pull the trigger on either Bilstein or H&R coilovers, only to learn what a pain this EDC business is. I just read the entire thread, and am I understanding right that folks here are successfully using the Dinan software, aftermarket lowering springs, and stock shocks with no issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #90
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post
I came across this thread after getting ready to pull the trigger on either Bilstein or H&R coilovers, only to learn what a pain this EDC business is. I just read the entire thread, and am I understanding right that folks here are successfully using the Dinan software, aftermarket lowering springs, and stock shocks with no issues?
No issues here. The car will be lower and that’s another consideration.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #91
CarolinaBavaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Kai View Post

While the Dinan setup is great. The EDC shocks do have limitations. I have a 2013 M sport with about 60k miles. I ran this setup for about 50k miles and the shocks are toast. My gripe about EDC is how expensive the shocks are vs the VW/Audi platform. Imo for what BMW shocks are bringing to the table is not worth it. You will always get better performance going passive and saving money. I'm going to install Koni Yellows and keep the Dinan Springs.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #92
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I've had mine installed for about 110k miles, I'm at 152k miles at the moment on the stock EDC suspension still. I think the test of time will be fine for you, or anyone for the matter. This shockware should have came with every EDC 3 series car IMO.
152k on the original shocks still? Those things have to be toast by now
      07-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #93
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
152k on the original shocks still? Those things have to be toast by now
Apparently they're not, they still work, I felt no changes in the suspension since the day I installed Dinan springs/shockware.
      08-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #94
Davy_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Mineral Grey

Am I safe in assuming the Dinan Shockware will not interfere with my Bootmod3 Tune? Also, is there any reason to avoid this if I am currently on H&R Super Sport springs? Thank you all. I've been contemplating this upgrade but had a few lingering questions.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #95
CarolinaBavaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy_D View Post
Am I safe in assuming the Dinan Shockware will not interfere with my Bootmod3 Tune? Also, is there any reason to avoid this if I am currently on H&R Super Sport springs? Thank you all. I've been contemplating this upgrade but had a few lingering questions.
You should be fine. Since it's separate Bootmod3 controls the DME vs Shockware ware is on the EDC which is separate in the trunk near the battery.
Appreciate 1
Davy_D1.50
      08-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #96
Davy_D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBavaro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy_D View Post
You should be fine. Since it's separate Bootmod3 controls the DME vs Shockware ware is on the EDC which is separate in the trunk near the battery.
Thank you - earlier posts indicated the car may get lower following the install. Is this correct? Again, I'm on H&R Super Sports (plenty low enough as it is).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #97
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got mine installed yesterday and definitely makes a big difference, $199.95 + $90 labor. This is how the car should have been set up from the factory.

Comfort mode is actually usable and doesn't float all over the place.

Sport mode is much more plush and not as jarring on bumps yet handles and feels way more planted
      08-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #98
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Yep +1. Add me to the Dinan Shockware converted.
Eco/Comfort is now Sport and eliminates all the weird diving about on the freeway after rolling bumps. Around town, a little stiffer, but marginally only noticeable.

The new Sport mode is pretty awesome, it's like you upgraded shocks. Easily 25% stiffer then sport, but it's usable for hard cornering.

I'm OCD picky about my mods and over-research like hell before install. For $199 and 30 min of whatever shop you choose for labor, it's pretty solid upgrade for adaptive suspensions.

The ONLY caveat... it seems 2013 to 2016 cars -ish take the software right off the bat.
The tech said most of the newer F30s require a couple attempts. Thinking it's the initial software revision/version that may be causing that issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #99
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Any risk of BMW messing with the DME if I go get the shockware installed? I am running BM3. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:59 PM   #100
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra358 View Post
Any risk of BMW messing with the DME if I go get the shockware installed? I am running BM3. Thanks!
Only if BMW updates the EDC module which is not common. Then it would just need to be reflashed.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:33 PM   #101
Shred Sled
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328ixDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Only if BMW updates the EDC module which is not common. Then it would just need to be reflashed.
My car, before CPO'd, had Dinan Stage 1 and Shockware that were subsequently removed to CPO the car. I understand how the piggyback was physically removed, but is there a way to tell if the Shockware was actually removed?
      11-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #102
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
My car, before CPO'd, had Dinan Stage 1 and Shockware that were subsequently removed to CPO the car. I understand how the piggyback was physically removed, but is there a way to tell if the Shockware was actually removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Sled View Post
Short of plugging it back into a Dinan programming station for a read out, no. The only time we are notified of an uninstall is if it's uninstalled using our flashing software but in the case of a CPO it would have just been a full ISTA reflash and wouldn't have been done through Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #103
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Got mine installed yesterday and definitely makes a big difference, $199.95 + $90 labor. This is how the car should have been set up from the factory.

Comfort mode is actually usable and doesn't float all over the place.

Sport mode is much more plush and not as jarring on bumps yet handles and feels way more planted
Sorry, but the Sport mode is anything but plush. It's firm and road imperfections are very noticeable. I'm the OP - let's not spread disinformation.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #104
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Sorry, but the Sport mode is anything but plush. It's firm and road imperfections are very noticeable. I'm the OP - let's not spread disinformation.
Sorry, but compared to the stock "sport" yes it is.
      11-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #105
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

Dinan shockware with Run Flat Tires (RFTs)

anyone stating their experience with Shockware should specify if they are still using RFTs. My 2014 335 Xi does not take Shockware it seems since a communication link from my ECU was changed later in the build and Dinan only links to that. The point of my message is that with RFTs long since thrown away in favor of Michelin AS3+ the stock normal setting is both floaty and harsh, if that is possible. I have to use Sport setting always. Just wish I had shockware for even better setting options and have OEM sport engaged when choosing the "normal" setting in the cabin. The Michelins are SOOO much better, btw.
Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #106
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Sorry, but compared to the stock "sport" yes it is.
The dampers are tuned for more stiffness; yet the ride is plusher than the stock sport setting. Yeah, okay.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #107
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I finally pulled the trigger and had the Shockware installed on my '16 435 yesterday.

Put me down as one very happy customer. The car now rides like it should have from the factory. I noticed an improvement almost immediately when pulling away from the shop.

In both modes the car has far better body control, all of the float and bounce found in BMW's comfort mode is gone and even the new sport mode feels much more stable than BMW's version.

I know there has been endless debate about whether Dinan actually changed anything from BMW's sport mode when they made it their "normal" with this software. My butt dyno tells me it is different and not essentially a "copy and paste". The differences are very subtle, but I do think it is different, and for the better. I guess the best way to describe it is the car feels much more stable in Dinan's "normal" mode than it ever did in BMW's sport mode.

As for the new Dinan sport mode, I haven't had a chance to really give it a test. Between a drive home on fairly straight roads, and the fact I'm running my winter tire/wheel set up, safely pushing the car isn't really possible right now. In the little bit I could test out in the few transitions/turns I encountered, the car stayed much flatter and stable.

I give it a big thumbs up. I'll also give a shout-out to the guys at Bimmers R Us for a great experience at their shop.

Last edited by Desertnate; 01-20-2021 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #108
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Echoing what others have said. The handles beautiful now. Corners that were a bit on the edge at 50MPH are now at 58MPH.

Ride isn't that much worse than before, with comfort feeling a more like sport on stock form. Super happy and perfect "cherry" on the sundae of powertrain mods I did.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #109
RootCanal05
Clutch Rider
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport

I'm so jealous, I tried having this installed twice and the computer wouldn't take the program. My MPPK tune was deleted in the process and that had to be reinstalled.
      03-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #110
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

what year 335 Xi for RootCanal?

My 2014 was built in late 2013 and won't take Shockware either. When was your car built?
Charlie
Appreciate 0