F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Diagnostics and coding - cable or wifi/bluetooth or Carly - please bare with me :)

02-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #1
Salt101
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI 320d M Sport

Unhappy Diagnostics and coding - cable or wifi/bluetooth or Carly - please bare with me :)

Hi all,

I need some solid guidance here please - I've been searching the net and forums for a few days now so I have some understanding but I don't feel I've closed the case quite yet.

What I am looking for and need help on, is this - Overall ideally I'd like to get a cable or wifi/BT dongle that can do the following:

1. Work on multiple cars for diagnostics, live data and fault code clearing with apps like Torque Pro etc. The one car specifically is a Renault.
2. Will work for coding on BMW with Bimmercode and Bimmerlink. Current car is an F series. But ideally I'd like the cable or wifi/BT dongle to work on all or at least most series BMW cars, not limited to a single series.
3. Works with Android.
4. Can work with a PC.
5. Can possibly work with Carly. This will just be a bonus. I've seen multiple posts on this forum, local forum here and babybmw of guys that say they got Carly to work with other cables or dongles. I see the Carly app does give the option for a 'other Bluetooth adapter' and a Cable Adapter. This is not a showstopper though if Bimmercode and Bimmerlink works as they offer pretty much the same features as Cary from what I read.

Some of my ideas around my requirements or wish list based on what I've read all over, including this forum over the last few days:

1. The ENET cable is compatible with F and G series BMW according to Bimmercode - not compatible with E series.
2. The ENET cable comes with some software that can be used for coding on the F series BMW - this is according to the sales person at autotools.co.za.
3. The ENET cable is RJ45 so can work on the PC but I guess I'll need an RJ45 to USB converter to use it on my android phone as well.
4. If the ENET cable can be used with apps like Torque Pro I wonder if it will work for diagnostics on the Renault?
5. Carly possibility?
6. There are various places selling the cable locally with prices ranging from R900.00 / $60 (link to R900 option) to R180.00 / $12 (link to R180 option) Not sure if they are all equal?

1. The VEEPEAK dongle. This works with Bimmercode.
2. There are two on Bimmercode's website listed as compatible. BLE and BLE+ On Amazon's the BLE is noted as not compatible with G20 but for the BLE+ is doesn't say not compatible with G20 so not sure if the GLE+ works with the G20 series. Bimmercode however doesn't list the VEEPEAK at all for G20's. So guess the VEEPEAK is good for E90 and F30 for Bimmercode at least anyway. Unless someone can confirm it works with G20?
3. The VEAPEEK works with Torque Pro so hope it works with the Renault - I see there is a Renault plug in for the Torque app.
4. Carly possible?
5. This is a Bluetooth device so will work with Android and I guess a PC with Bluetooth as well.
6. Pricing on Amazon is $50.48 incl. shipping for the BLE and $56.36 incl. shipping for the BLE+. Locally they sell for $80.37

1. Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth. All Vgate info and user reviews says it works with Bimmercode - also says it works with E series ( plus pre 2007 Bimmercode support also being released now) and F series as well as support for G series. Although its not listed on Bimmercodes website as compatible?
2. Confirmed support for Torque Pro so hope it will work with the Renault.
3. This is a Bluetooth device so will work with Android and I guess a PC with Bluetooth as well.
4. Carly possible?
5. Pricing on Amazon is $63.56 incl. shipping. Can't find pricing on this exact model locally.

So...pricing in total:

ENET cable $60 or $12 including Bimmercode $42.86, Bimmerlink $42.86 and Torque Pro $3.59 = $149.31 once off or $101.31 for the cheaper cable once off.
VEEPEAK BLE+ dongle $56.36 including Bimmercode $42.86, Bimmerlink $42.86 and Torque Pro $3.59 = $145.67 once off.
Vgate vLinker MC Bluetooth dongle $63.56 including Bimmercode $42.86, Bimmerlink $42.86 and Torque Pro $3.59 = $152.87 once off.
Carly with all brand license and dongle - $172.79 plus yearly license renewal of $82.99

I have mostly zoned my track of thought towards a product being able to be used with multiple platforms, and if it works with Carly too its a bonus. I am a fan of Carly and I've seen it work on my current car - but what puts me off is the high cost for the adapter and the yearly subscription fee VS something like Bimmercode, Bimmerlink, Torque Lite/Pro etc.

Please feel free to share your input or advice and guidance. Please bare in mind I am a novice in this department but I have spent a few hours doing research - reading and more reading and some vides before I posted this thread. My gut feel is the Vgate vLinker is he best one out of the lot and pretty much complies with points 1 to 4 on my wish list and only Carly being the unknown here but I am open to suggestions from tried and tested experience to get a close to my wish list as possible.

Thanks for reading and any help!
Appreciate 0