F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Will Flash tune ever come for B58?
proTUNING Freaks

09-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #45
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMinLuv View Post
It's for sure good for 50 whp. This car won't safely go above 400hp with smooth acceleration and proper AFR. After meth I've seen 3 different cars dyno over 450 (Terry's included). It also makes drivability much better. I switched back to map 2 for the hell of it and couldn't believe how bad the ride was compared to map 7. I do agree with riskmaker76 you're still at the mercy of the DME. I would say less so with methanol but I can do a pull and the log looks amazing then an hour later same conditions I'll get throttle closures. With some tinkering I have gotten the car much more consistent though. I don't feel like I'm hitting a fuel cap wall anymore. Also it is my opinion based on looking at logs and how the car feels that E20 def helps the car run better and I have a dozen logs to back that vs just 93. I don't see any reduction in boost as stated on N54tech I hit targets dead on but timing is better and the car hits harder for sure.

I recently got the fuel_it Ethanol sensor so I know relatively close what my fuel content actually is. I tried doing a 70/30 blend of 100octane/pump gas and my car did not like it. With methanol it almost felt too rich. Once I added some ethanol to lean out the fuel mixture it ran great. So who knows

I am trying E98 in the methanol tank tomorrow I know that's what steve at fuel it and juan at big boost use because it's there's more fueling than methanol but I have a race pump station 20 min away that I can pump methanol for $2.80 a gallon 24 hours a day so I won't be making the permanent switch but may use it for events like NOFLYZone coming up in few weeks.

Finally, reached out to MHD and Bootmod3 they both said they're not even working on B58 much less close to cracking so we're screwed there but fuel it is working hard to get port out in the next 6 months I'm sure I'll be one of the first to get it because that should help the consistency considerably and then we can run more ethanol.
Interested to see how that e98 helps out. MHD said they know of a few firms working on it so we arent shit out of luck... I hope.
      09-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #46
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M-Sport track pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Quote:
It's for sure good for 50 whp. This car won't safely go above 400hp with smooth acceleration and proper AFR. After meth I've seen 3 different cars dyno over 450 (Terry's included). It also makes drivability much better. I switched back to map 2 for the hell of it and couldn't believe how bad the ride was compared to map 7. I do agree with riskmaker76 you're still at the mercy of the DME. I would say less so with methanol but I can do a pull and the log looks amazing then an hour later same conditions I'll get throttle closures. With some tinkering I have gotten the car much more consistent though. I don't feel like I'm hitting a fuel cap wall anymore. Also it is my opinion based on looking at logs and how the car feels that E20 def helps the car run better and I have a dozen logs to back that vs just 93. I don't see any reduction in boost as stated on N54tech I hit targets dead on but timing is better and the car hits harder for sure.

I recently got the fuel_it Ethanol sensor so I know relatively close what my fuel content actually is. I tried doing a 70/30 blend of 100octane/pump gas and my car did not like it. With methanol it almost felt too rich. Once I added some ethanol to lean out the fuel mixture it ran great. So who knows

I am trying E98 in the methanol tank tomorrow I know that's what steve at fuel it and juan at big boost use because it's there's more fueling than methanol but I have a race pump station 20 min away that I can pump methanol for $2.80 a gallon 24 hours a day so I won't be making the permanent switch but may use it for events like NOFLYZone coming up in few weeks.

Finally, reached out to MHD and Bootmod3 they both said they're not even working on B58 much less close to cracking so we're screwed there but fuel it is working hard to get port out in the next 6 months I'm sure I'll be one of the first to get it because that should help the consistency considerably and then we can run more ethanol.
Interested to see how that e98 helps out. MHD said they know of a few firms working on it so we arent shit out of luck... I hope.
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely love the X98! Car feels much happier
      09-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #47
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

It's really depressing to learn that neither MHD or bm3 are working on cracking the b58

I'd read that its much more securely encrypted than the N55 was, just wish there was some public discussion on this from groups looking at cracking it.

If there's still no sign of a flash in a year then Im eating the deprecation and selling my car to buy something with a V8, JB4 and DP are great but the overall driving experience is just too erratic and BMW crippling this platform is maddening. I know my car is a flash away from being a mid 11 seconds car
Appreciate 1
jalkster220.00
      09-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #48
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
It's really depressing to learn that neither MHD or bm3 are working on cracking the b58

I'd read that its much more securely encrypted than the N55 was, just wish there was some public discussion on this from groups looking at cracking it.

If there's still no sign of a flash in a year then Im eating the deprecation and selling my car to buy something with a V8, JB4 and DP are great but the overall driving experience is just too erratic and BMW crippling this platform is maddening. I know my car is a flash away from being a mid 11 seconds car
WMI helps huge
      09-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #49
Aset
Rep
Drives: 340ix

How long did it take to break the n54/55 dme?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #50
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aset View Post
How long did it take to break the n54/55 dme?
N55 almost 6 years.
      09-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #51
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

That's just terrible 6 damn years
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #52
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Quote:
WMI helps huge
I'm tempted but it's a big investment and at what point do you say fck it and buy a used c06, lol.

The dyno numbers are nice but do you have any 1/4 mile times for WMI vs jb4 map 2 ? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #53
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
N55 almost 6 years.
Close but no it was like 4 years when bench flashing became a possibility on the F series MEVD DME.
Those cars launched in 2011 as 2012MY and by 2015 we saw bench flashes. You cant count the 2011 E90 N55 it was a different DME.
PTF launched BM3 last year officially as a full flash platform via OBD.

I had an Enzo bench flash in 2015 on my current car until I went in a different direction.

But even 4 years is far too long
      09-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #54
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm tempted but it's a big investment and at what point do you say fck it and buy a used c06, lol.

The dyno numbers are nice but do you have any 1/4 mile times for WMI vs jb4 map 2 ? Thanks
I am to the point of sticking around as much as I can with my N55 but I am really setting my sights on an RS3 and toss APR 2k for a tune. Just wanna try something different at this point. Tuning my F30 has by far been the most complex and headache filled experience. BM3 has made my life MUCH easier and I do enjoy the car now but I wanna try something else in the future, so I am with ya.
      09-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #55
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadar View Post
Quote:
N55 almost 6 years.
Close but no it was like 4 years when bench flashing became a possibility on the F series MEVD DME.
Those cars launched in 2011 as 2012MY and by 2015 we saw bench flashes. You cant count the 2011 E90 N55 it was a different DME.

I had an Enzo bench flash in 2015 on my current car until I went in a different direction.

E90 = almost 6 years
      09-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #56
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
N55 almost 6 years.

E90 = almost 6 years
You have to emphasize and be realistic about the money in that case. A 1 year one off type of production variant and they switched to f chassis. If there was enough volume there they'd cracked it with the f30 MEVD.

It it's what it is in either case it's all far too long.
      09-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #57
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
WMI helps huge

I'm looking at the new ZL1 lol, it's tough call because when port comes out in the next few months this car will be a monster.

I base it off of cars that race often and who I can beat now that I couldn't.

I do half mile events I ran a 147 (no fly zone) from a dig pre stage 1 turbo and posted a video of the cars I beat. With meth and turbo I can walk a JB4 F80 fairly easily. Also my friends tuned C63 (2012).

I'm going to NFZ again on October 8th I'll post another video and my trap speed, I'm fairly confident I'll hit 150+ with turbo upgraded and x98 in the meth tank vs methanol.
      09-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #58
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
N55 almost 6 years.

E90 = almost 6 years
You have to emphasize and be realistic about the money in that case. A 1 year one off type of production variant and they switched to f chassis. If there was enough volume there they'd cracked it with the f30 MEVD.

I was just answering the question asked. Not a big enough deal to debate. I just know my friend has an E90 N55 that he has taken all the way. And it took him 5+ years for a flash. I complain about how slow stuff is and he keeps reminding me our platform is evolving much faster than his did
      09-18-2017, 01:04 PM   #59
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
N55 almost 6 years.

E90 = almost 6 years

I was just answering the question asked. Not a big enough deal to debate. I just know my friend has an E90 N55 that he has taken all the way. And it took him 5+ years for a flash. I complain about how slow stuff is and he keeps reminding me our platform is evolving much faster than his did
I totally agree w everything. My worry is that the b58 will be even longer . It's so high tech and encrypted bmw is working very hard to keep us out and force $3000 MPPSK ON us...
      09-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #60
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
I totally agree w everything. My worry is that the b58 will be even longer . It's so high tech and encrypted bmw is working very hard to keep us out and force $3000 MPPSK ON us...
yes, yes. hopefully. Ive heard this ECU is even more complex (3 core) than the n55 EWG ECU.
Jadar1752.50
      09-18-2017, 02:45 PM   #61
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
yes, yes. hopefully. Ive heard this ECU is even more complex (3 core) than the n55 EWG ECU.
Yes same thing I've heard. It's a shame because the b58 is seriously the best engine to come out with the potential that's greater than n54.
      09-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #62
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Quote:
And the MPPSK is overpriced and woefully underpowered

Its understandable that they need to keep the b58 far behind the s55 but its annoying to know that they could probably offer a tune that pushed close to 400 @ the wheels and still stay good for emissions and mpg and other government mandated nonsense numbers by only enabling it in sport+

Would port injection really add that much more?

At that point we need a transmission flash too I guess?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #63
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Its understandable that they need to keep the b58 far behind the s55 but its annoying to know that they could probably offer a tune that pushed close to 400 @ the wheels and still stay good for emissions and mpg and other government mandated nonsense numbers by only enabling it in sport+

I'm not even certain they have PI yet but not 100%. I know WMI is used and gets around the fuel cap and a jb4 + WMI car without even a down pipe wipes the floor with an S55. So ya bmw M division fear confirmed
      09-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #64
iMinLuv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not even certain they have PI yet but not 100%. I know WMI is used and gets around the fuel cap and a jb4 + WMI car without even a down pipe wipes the floor with an S55. So ya bmw M division fear confirmed
They'll have port in the next 3-4 months
      09-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #65
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They'll have port in the next 3-4 months
Very cool. Only a matter of time. The platform is just so good.
      09-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #66
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep

Port will be controlled by the JB4 as well? To get around the fuel limit?

Its a shame because isnt direct injection theoretically better since this engine was designed for it?
Appreciate 0