F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Interior rear view mirror compatibility - from G30 to F30
Studio RSR

11-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #23
SniPro
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Question to all of you who have the so called frameless mirror for F3x....

I received mine, but I notice a vertical line just left of the centreline...
On some photos I found online, the same line is recognisable.....
Could you please confirm whether this is a standard "feature"!? Looks odd!! t is more visible under particular angle and in bright conditions.

Here a photo of another unit from the internet:
I don't have such line on my mirror.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 09:28 AM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I got in touch with the author of the video above and he confirmed he has never seen that line on his....

Let's hope I get a better one now. Ordered a second one. Will report.
      11-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #25
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Got the new mirror today. Precisely the same as the first... can't tell which one is worse or better.

I suspected manufacturing batch may explain it, as both are dated 25/06/19, but so is the one from the video above, which does not seem to suffer and the author confirmed no visible or at least noticeable line...
      11-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
MSlv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit View Post
Something to note, if you car has the original KAFAS camera installed for high-beam assistant, it'll disable the system. Unfortunately there's no way to make it work because the first generation KAFAS camera has a printed circuit board soldered inside the your current mirror to make the system function. If you're ok with disabling the high-beam assistant, or if your car wasn't equipped with the camera, then it'll work.

If your car is equipped with the KAFAS2 camera system, the mirror should be plug and play with no coding required.
Damn, so this is the compatibility issue that the dealer told me needs to be checked. There goes any hope of installing this mirror. I have 2018 F30 and it has the HBA with KAFAS, no way I will give this up for a new mirror... So now it's decided, I will get the illuminated door sills instead.

edit: actually I don't think I have KAFAS, I have only HBA so it's actually FLA?

Last edited by MSlv; 11-10-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #27
SniPro
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSlv View Post
Damn, so this is the compatibility issue that the dealer told me needs to be checked. There goes any hope of installing this mirror. I have 2018 F30 and it has the HBA with KAFAS, no way I will give this up for a new mirror... So now it's decided, I will get the illuminated door sills instead.

edit: actually I don't think I have KAFAS, I have only HBA so it's actually FLA?
FLA (far light assistant) requires a rearview mirror to be equipped with a video camera. Do your current mirror has a built-in camera?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #28
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Got the new mirror today. Precisely the same as the first... can't tell which one is worse or better.

I suspected manufacturing batch may explain it, as both are dated 25/06/19, but so is the one from the video above, which does not seem to suffer and the author confirmed no visible or at least noticeable line...
Update:
Got a third mirror. Same as the 2 before. The dealer inspected the rest of the stock and found the same line. The matter got escalated up the chain all the way to the quality department in Munich.
Response: "The line in the glass is normal and the customer has to live with that. All such mirrors have this line"

That's it.... a take it or leave it deal. Thank you BMW. Great quality assurance on this.
      12-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #29
MSlv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniPro View Post
FLA (far light assistant) requires a rearview mirror to be equipped with a video camera. Do your current mirror has a built-in camera?
Yes, I have the rearview mirror with the integrated camera for FLA.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #30
pepe_luco
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrupix View Post
If you need much details on this, I can send you some pics to show you better what I mean.
I know its a while back, but are you still able to share details on the how and what on this matter?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #31
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniPro View Post
There is an original F30 mirror made in G20 style. They created it close to end of F30 generation production and it is an option - however you can buy and install it
Here is part number 51 16 2 471 107
Picture
Well, I bit the bullet and bought this, but unfortunately for us in the States it uses European Homelink frequencies. I stupidly tried to program it for about 5 minutes before looking in the book and reading the compatible frequencies. Shame as it's a beautiful looking mirror
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #32
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Update:
Got a third mirror. Same as the 2 before. The dealer inspected the rest of the stock and found the same line. The matter got escalated up the chain all the way to the quality department in Munich.
Response: "The line in the glass is normal and the customer has to live with that. All such mirrors have this line"

That's it.... a take it or leave it deal. Thank you BMW. Great quality assurance on this.
For what it's worth, I see the line in my new mirror as well. Same date code: 25/6/19. I'd gladly put up with it if it worked with US Homelink frequencies, though
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 04:27 AM   #33
Loki_Stormbringer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

So guys there is no North American version of 51 16 2 471 107 mirror that works with the North American Homelink frequencies? I must be missing something, how are the mirrors in the G30s sold in North America work from a Homelink perspective or are those a different part number and for some reason they don't fit the F30? I doubt the US Homelink frequencies would be different than the Canadian ones so I am not sure why the same part number would be available on the BMW Canada parts website (https://www.bmw.ca/en/topics/offers-...or-opener.html) if the Homelink component wouldn't work here, I must be missing something... Can somebody post how much they paid for it as I couldn't find a price for this in Canada yet? Is it missing the compass function the original F30 mirror has?

Last edited by Loki_Stormbringer; 03-06-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:51 AM   #34
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I ended up installing one of the 3 frameless mirrors that went through my hands (see story above).

I've only driven out once since I did, but I must say - I don't regret it, despite the issue with the line.

- In real life (or at least my first trip), I could not notice the bright line. I suspect in most situations you will need to specifically look for it to see it. Not saying it is suddenly invisible, but I'd say difficult to notice. Maybe the very reason why many claim theirs don't have it - they just haven't looked closely enough

- The mirror is design-wise what it should have been from the start - much more modern and just opening up the interior. (I recently noticed that they use very, very similarly looking frameless mirrors on all newer Audis)

- The red LED is now much stronger and easier to see from the front. Despite not having the big thing sticking out underneath.

- I have not yet made any use of the garage opener, but I intend to do so too. Some modification needed first due to hopping frequencies.
      04-03-2021, 09:19 PM   #35
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I was not able to return this for less than the cost of the refund. Instead, I thought I'd spend that $ on a little research project. I purchased a used G20 mirror and took the two of them apart (a set of shim gauges work perfectly to separate the mirror from the housing). It would seem they use the same board and I was able to swap the G20 one into the F30 housing. Picture of the two of them attached, prior to the swap. Note that the "F30" mirror's board has a newer date code than the "G20"'s.

I'll hook it up tomorrow and hopefully homelink will work since the G20 this came from was a US car.

Side note...It appears the G20 mount would work on the F30, but don't quote me on that. I'll give it a shot and report back. If it does fit, retrofitting a G20 mirror into an F30 would just be a matter of de-pinning the G20 mirror's connector and putting on the correct connector for the F30. The G20 mirror doesn't look quite as nice imo though, having a black plastic border. It would clearly be a cheaper option however.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
orbE46106.00
J555568.50
      04-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #36
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep

Good news: the F30 euro homelink frameless mirror with US homelink G20 board installed in it works on my garage door.

Bad news: the G20 base looks to be too large for the trim to fit around, though it does slide on the windshield mount.

Mixed news: though it looks like there is space for a compass display in these newer style mirrors (both F30 frameless and G20), BMW has elected not to include that functionality. My old chunky mirror did have this, but I practically never used this function and the upgrade in look is a worthwhile tradeoff imo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #37
mysterio
Enlisted Member
Rep

For just a bit more poop and laughter I thought I'd disassemble my old mirror. Same process applies to the newer mirrors. Tab locations appear identical from old to new mirrors.

Also, upon examining the F30 and G20 mounting bases further, it looks like the G20 brings the mirror down a bit farther. Assuming that's not a big usability issue, it might be possible to cut away at the G20 base to make the F30 trim piece fit.

If you want plug and play though, you need the G20 mirror. It's not cheap, or easily found however. I believe I only found one on eBay at the time and it was about $200. With the original frameless mirror at $260, all in this was $560
Attached Images

Last edited by mysterio; 04-04-2021 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:42 AM   #38
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Is this mirror compatible with the FLA (Auto High Beam) camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:09 AM   #39
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
Which one?
Please note that several mirrors are being discussed in this thread in parallel.... (which is quite unfortunate).

I can confirm that the frameless one for the F-series is compatible with high beam assist. Same as the basic, non-frameless one from factory.
      04-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #40
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified! The frameless one with part #51162471107, and I am referring to the HBA camera that's built-in in the black plastic moulding and doesn't attach directly on the windscreen, similar to the setup below:
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #41
seirogan
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i LCI

I installed this interior mirror (51162471107) today on a 2018 F30 330i LCI. I believe my car has the KAFAS system as it says 'connected drive' on my windshield.

The installation process:
- The covers were easy to remove with some plastic tools.
- I found that the wiring on the original mirror was a bit more tricky to take out.
- I tried to slide the mirror off parallel to the windshield - HOWEVER, I found it easier to remove it by applying a small amount of force downwards and then sliding it off along the windshield.
- The new mirror just slides back on with ease.
- When I tried to start my car after installation, the engine didn't want to turn on and I had a 'check engine' light (I'm not sure if this is an issue related to coding/ computer trying to read the new mirror?). This only happened the first time, but the car started fine the second time without any warning lights.

If you guys have any inputs on my last point, please feel free to share your opinions appreciated!

Last edited by seirogan; 08-11-2021 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 01:53 AM   #42
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Unrelated issue.
The engine can start without a mirror in place. Must have been something else.
      02-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #43
EgorBr
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Quote:
Which one?
Please note that several mirrors are being discussed in this thread in parallel.... (which is quite unfortunate).

I can confirm that the frameless one for the F-series is compatible with high beam assist. Same as the basic, non-frameless one from factory.
So does this frameless mirror (51162471107) compatible to HBA camera? It seems that base has no options to attache HBA camera. Will add some photos later to show the difference between bases.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:21 PM   #44
EgorBr
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Sorry, maybe I should have clarified! The frameless one with part #51162471107, and I am referring to the HBA camera that's built-in in the black plastic moulding and doesn't attach directly on the windscreen, similar to the setup below:
Did you managed to find out this issue.
Appreciate 0