F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Akrapovic Downpipe B58
Extreme Powerhouse

11-26-2020, 03:10 PM   #45
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
I just checked on Amazon shopping. Looks like it's selling for around $1700 USD.

Unfortunately, it's not CARB (California Air Resources Board) approved, despite meeting the more stringent EURO-6 standard, so I might have trouble finding a vendor who will ship to me.
I'm in California, I got it from supreme power

Give them a call
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #46
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Got the Akro DP installed last week on my 2018 F30 340i.

Car is stock with the stock exhaust with both flaps open mod. My observations mirror other experiences here:
* Cold start is definitely louder with a metallic sound as others have mentioned
* In comfort car is as quite as before. Nothing really happening below 4k rpm
*Sport/Sport+, car is definitely louder with the Akro DP shinning over 4k rpm. Its hard to describe it inside the cabin but I find that its almost as loud as the ASD. Car was super quite inside the cabin after I turned off ASD but with the Akro DP and sport mode, its almost as loud as having the ASD back but its real sound which is great
*more gurgles in all modes for sure

I wanted something that would enhance the noise level inside the cabin while still sounding great on the outside without being disruptive. I also wanted the car to pass emissions and without causing CEL. I think the Akro DP accomplishes the mission. I would definitely do it again in a heart beat.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #47
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

@aardate
Thanks for sharing your experience as well! 👍🏼
Just one question - you write "stock exhaust with both flaps open mod" - however the stock exhaust has a single flap only....!?

And I guess when you refer to 4000rpm it is just a number you picked, as if you have the flap open all the time, there is nothing changing at 4000 rpm in comfort (which is otherwise when the flap opens)?

I find it interesting that you don't find it louder under 4000 rpm (in your case in any mode).
      12-09-2020, 06:42 AM   #48
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

A little video would be greatly appreciated if you have time !

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #49
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
@aardate
Thanks for sharing your experience as well! 👍🏼
Just one question - you write "stock exhaust with both flaps open mod" - however the stock exhaust has a single flap only....!?

And I guess when you refer to 4000rpm it is just a number you picked, as if you have the flap open all the time, there is nothing changing at 4000 rpm in comfort (which is otherwise when the flap opens)?

I find it interesting that you don't find it louder under 4000 rpm (in your case in any mode).
You are right, there is only one flap. I should have said, both "sides" of the exhaust open.

the 4k rpm is what my ears are picking up inside the cabin, and my wife will tell you I don't hear/listen very well Its not very scientific I know but that's how it feels to me.

I don't feel its louder under 4k rpm but I'm talking about just inside the cabin. I do hear more burbles and gurgles when I roll down windows though at all rpms and all modes.
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      12-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #50
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
A little video would be greatly appreciated if you have time !
As others have mentioned, its hard to capture the true impact on video but I am happy the way it has enhanced the driving experience inside the cabin.
I hope this helps.

Sport+ with flap open and revving the engine to 3k-4k.
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1879.00
vcx81.50
      12-09-2020, 11:11 AM   #51
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That is quite good with the standard exhaust! Stock software too!?

Congratulations and welcome in the Akra club
      12-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #52
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Thank you! yes everything is stock including software.
Appreciate 1
vcx81.50
      12-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #53
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/shorts/jZpuepadnFM

This is akro dp + mppsk
Appreciate 2
aardate193.50
vcx81.50
      12-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #54
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foriegnmonkey1 View Post
That sounds nice!!!
Appreciate 1
obzen188.00
      12-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #55
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
Got the Akro DP installed last week on my 2018 F30 340i.

Car is stock with the stock exhaust with both flaps open mod. My observations mirror other experiences here:
* Cold start is definitely louder with a metallic sound as others have mentioned
* In comfort car is as quite as before. Nothing really happening below 4k rpm
*Sport/Sport+, car is definitely louder with the Akro DP shinning over 4k rpm. Its hard to describe it inside the cabin but I find that its almost as loud as the ASD. Car was super quite inside the cabin after I turned off ASD but with the Akro DP and sport mode, its almost as loud as having the ASD back but its real sound which is great
*more gurgles in all modes for sure

I wanted something that would enhance the noise level inside the cabin while still sounding great on the outside without being disruptive. I also wanted the car to pass emissions and without causing CEL. I think the Akro DP accomplishes the mission. I would definitely do it again in a heart beat.
Akro DP accomplishes the mission. So well said!
Appreciate 1
aardate193.50
      01-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #56
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Anyone have any info on the HJS cat (in the Akrapovic DP)?

I recall hearing that the HJS cat they used was metal/steel which is more durable, provides better airflow, and needs less heat to warm up than the more common & traditional ceramic cats. Tried to find more info about this but came up empty.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #57
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Look at the photos in my review in this very thread. You can see it is metal, unlike the OEM ceramic.
      11-04-2023, 06:05 AM   #58
Higgins56
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by petripaa View Post
I have 440i with MPPSK and akrapovic downpipe. Sound check available here:

No CEL or other problems. Quality of the product is top notch, way better than OEM. Fits like a glove.

It is not much louder in comfort mode, but with flaps open (in sport mode) difference is very noticeable.

Performance benefits without other mods are not very noticeable.

Moi, olen ajatellut hankkia downpipen katalysaattorilla ( 300) - esim HJS - autooni joka on 21 mallin M440i ( G22).
Koska sinulla on selvästikin kokemusta ko projektista niin kysyisin a) kannattaako harkita itse asennusta ( like velottaa 200-300 asennustarvikkeineen) b) tuleeko ongelmia lambda valon vilkuumisen kanssa b) miten katsastusviranomaiset suhtautuvat. Onko "katti" aina osa perussyynäystä vai katsovatko vain päästöarvoja ? G22 mallissa taitaa olla V-band kiinnitys molemmissa päissä ? c) onko jotakin erityistä huomioitava asennuksessa jos itse tekee ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 06:39 AM   #59
Higgins56
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Sorry guys, I was trying to reach one Finnish guy that has posted earlier here...that is why in Fnnish language - I can translate what I ask - maybe you others can answer these questions as well: car is 2021 M440i ( G22) with all standard and the exhaust will remain such as well except the downpipe which I am planning to replace either with a god decent price product ( HJS?) with catalysator

a)is it worth considering to do the installation by yourself and if yes what are the pitfalls ?
b) any problems with the lambda light after installation ?
c) any issues with the yearly inspection regarding emissions ( HJS has 300 cat but it is metal instead of the OEM ceramic)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #60
LRW70
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
It is probably the best quality DP on the market... and one of the most expensive.
2500 USD does sound a bit excessive though. The catalogue price in Europe is under €1800... and that is nowhere near $2500...

I wanted a quality product and after research I concluded I want a HJS cat-based DP. Narrowed down my choice to:
- HJS's own DP
- AC Schnitzer (who sell a rebranded HJS DP.... 1:1, just extra customer support and warranty in case BMW refuse a warranty case because of the DP, which at least in Europe they are less likely to do with AC Schnitzer)
- Akrapovic

You get best value for money with the HJS DP. I was leaning towards it, unless I find an AC Schnitzer one on discount, with a closer price to the HJS.

I eventually found the Akrapovic with a discount, for a price just under the price of AC Schnitzer .... Given the significantly better design and extra quality - it was a no-brainer, even if still more expensive than the HJS DP

There are many cheap(er) DPs out on the market. Some melt down, some through a CEL and some are simply ok. You need to decide what you are after and how much you want to spend. You get what you pay for
€1,800 please send me the link I’m looking to upgrade, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:58 AM   #61
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That was 3,5 years ago mate
Prices have increased massively since 2020 I am afraid… :-/
      11-09-2023, 04:57 AM   #62
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
That was 3,5 years ago mate
Prices have increased massively since 2020 I am afraid… :-/
Vendors/Akra have lost their minds listing their B58 DP at $2600-$2700!! I love Akra, but I refuse to pay those prices...

My $.02 - Better off with an Active Autowerke ($1500) or HJS ($1945). Both will not produce a CEL...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:06 AM   #63
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Well... hard to compare to AA, but since you compare to the HJS - both the HJS and Akra have the same HJS cat converter. The only difference is the Akra is much better designed and built, made of cast iron and has better gas-flow (e.g. full diameter inlet, vs reduced as most DPs, incl HJS)....
So the 30% extra cost of the Akra does not seem totally off if you ask me.
I can agree that either option is expensive. But costly and overpriced are 2 different things.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-09-2023 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #64
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Akrapovic's craftsmanship is exceptional; their products are a work of art.

However, when comparing the cost with Active Autowerke, i can't say Akrapovic brings double the value than AA to justify it being double the price.

It's not that Akrapovic's products are overpriced, but they cater to a niche where value for money isn't the primary concern. Their customers prioritize getting the best quality and exclusivity over cost.

Its just a different target audience

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      11-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #65
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I agree.
But that’s also how it always is - twice the price is never twice the quality. It is not a linear ratio. You do net get two VWs when you buy a BMW for twice the price. But you do get appreciably more.
      11-10-2023, 05:25 AM   #66
disintegrator66
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
Well... hard to compare to AA, but since you compare to the HJS - both the HJS and Akra have the same HJS cat converter. The only difference is the Akra is much better designed and built, made of cast iron and has better gas-flow (e.g. full diameter inlet, vs reduced as most DPs, incl HJS)....
So the 30% extra cost of the Akra does not seem totally off if you ask me.
I can agree that either option is expensive. But costly and overpriced are 2 different things.
We can agree to disagree concerning the build quality - The HJS is built like a tank and their quality is unquestionable. Additionally, the list price of the Akra has jumped ~$800-$900 USD over the past few years which equates to being overpriced especially compared to its competitors. Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0