F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Cold starts (even if disabled) with BM3
Extreme Powerhouse

01-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #23
TheFanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
yes, that was the first thing I tried.
ah. I saw you put it to default, so I thought that's where you left it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #24
shovell242
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Same thing is happening to me, it seems to only occur when temps are below 30 degrees F.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:32 PM   #25
parch8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 340i xdrive alpine

Now that it is colder here (20F) the same hung is happening to me!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 05:23 PM   #26
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

I've reached back out to the PTF team to see what they think we should do clearly it is becoming an issue like you said now that it is cold out again
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
As much as I feel sorry for you guys, it's nice to see my issue isnt isolated. More people experiencing this issue means more effort put towards a solution.

So far, I tried everything they suggested and nothing gave any results.

Keep me posted if one of you finds a permanent solution.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 1
parch841.00
      01-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #28
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
As much as I feel sorry for you guys, it's nice to see my issue isnt isolated. More people experiencing this issue means more effort put towards a solution.

So far, I tried everything they suggested and nothing gave any results.

Keep me posted if one of you finds a permanent solution.
Completely get what you mean it's totally a pain to deal with especially if it's frequent this time of year. My cold start is pretty brutal when it's not off so I agree a fix is definitely needed here I'm gonna try what they ask and see how it goes but not super hopeful
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parch8 View Post
Completely get what you mean it's totally a pain to deal with especially if it's frequent this time of year. My cold start is pretty brutal when it's not off so I agree a fix is definitely needed here I'm gonna try what they ask and see how it goes but not super hopeful
I hear you. I kinda knew that things like setting a minimal speed for burbles, forcing the flap to closed or deactivating active sound wasnt going to solve the issue, but still tried it in case it was a triangulation process to isolate the issue.

They definitely know more about their own software than I do; so i'll trust them. But if they fail to fix it, there's no way i'm gonna keep using BM3, for the sake of my neighbors peaceful mornings ahah. But i'm still hoping that they do find the issue. Finger crossed.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #30
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Yea it's not enough for me to purchase another software personally because there's ways to quiet it down when it does it and it isn't very frequent for me but I completely get what you mean if it's frequent it could be super annoying for the neighbors and yourself. Hoping what they have my try works I'll report back if it does or doesn't
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #31
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea it's not enough for me to purchase another software personally because there's ways to quiet it down when it does it and it isn't very frequent for me but I completely get what you mean if it's frequent it could be super annoying for the neighbors and yourself. Hoping what they have my try works I'll report back if it does or doesn't
How do you manage to quiet it down? I saw someone posting something about giving it a blip of throttle but it didnt do anything for me except revving the RPM higher; thus making even more noise.

For me, it is an absolute deal breaker. If this issue isnt getting resolved, i'll switch software. The only negative thing is that I bought the license used. So I cant resell it.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #32
Duncan140i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i Shadow

Quote:
Quote:
How do you manage to quiet it down? I saw someone posting something about giving it a blip of throttle but it didnt do anything for me except revving the RPM higher; thus making even more noise.

For me, it is an absolute deal breaker. If this issue isnt getting resolved, i'll switch software. The only negative thing is that I bought the license used. So I cant resell it.
It was 23f here this morning and mine did a loud cold start. Only for a few seconds then dropped back down as normal. It is second time it has done it in last six weeks. Both times the car had been stood for few days and weather was exceptionally cold. As it is particular to those rare (for me) conditions I believe it is something in the stock dme coding that bm3 haven't adjusted, when temps get to a certain level. I don't think it is just a case of a bad flash as the car has always been faultless and too many having same issue with the common link of sub zero temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 07:09 PM   #33
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan140i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It was 23f here this morning and mine did a loud cold start. Only for a few seconds then dropped back down as normal. It is second time it has done it in last six weeks. Both times the car had been stood for few days and weather was exceptionally cold. As it is particular to those rare (for me) conditions I believe it is something in the stock dme coding that bm3 haven't adjusted, when temps get to a certain level. I don't think it is just a case of a bad flash as the car has always been faultless and too many having same issue with the common link of sub zero temps.
Agreed there's something more than just a bad flash of the dme at this point but I'm going to do as they ask to help them troubleshoot. In the meantime when it does it throwing it in drive right away usually shuts it up for me Gonna try other things too to see how it goes
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #34
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:

If you very lightly press the throttle it will shut the wastegate and it does make it shut up alot. Your not blipping it your holding the rpm ever so slightly above the cold start rpm.

I have noticed here in the UK when the temps are -1oC or colder the car does have a cold start again but its nothing like the stock cold start, it holds the rpm closer to 1000rpm vs the normal idle.

One thing im looking forward to the switchable maps is turning of the GTS roar for them stealthy get aways when i could be doing with making as little noise as possible! MPPSK exhaust draw backs!
Appreciate 2
parch841.00
MaximusJ303.00
      01-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #35
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

There's 3 cold starts I've experienced:
1. Normal loud start (untuned, or tuned with COLD mornings)
2. Normal quiet start (tuned/didn't meet COLD morning condition)
3. Safety, low-rpm start (when the morning is EXTREMELY OMFG COLD)

Experiencing a #1 cold start when you were expecting #2 is annoying. However, I wonder if that #3 cold start is a temperature related safety mechanism. If so, I wanna keep it.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #36
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
There's 3 cold starts I've experienced:
1. Normal loud start (untuned, or tuned with COLD mornings)
2. Normal quiet start (tuned/didn't meet COLD morning condition)
3. Safety, low-rpm start (when the morning is EXTREMELY OMFG COLD)

Experiencing a #1 cold start when you were expecting #2 is annoying. However, I wonder if that #3 cold start is a temperature related safety mechanism. If so, I wanna keep it.
It's my first winter without a Cat; so I was thinking the setting would override the cold starts 100% of the time. Right now, it's not that cold (between 0 and minus 10 Celsius) and I experience some random cold starts. But it can get as cold as minus 30; so what's gonna happen then?

I don't see the cold starts as possible safety mechanism because there isn't any cat left to heat up before you hit the road; so I'm really puzzled right now.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #37
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
It's really not that cold today (-4 celcius), and i'm still running tests and every attempt lead to the same result; i.e. cold start.

And their suggestions are sometimes pointless. Today they wanted me to download a fresh stage 2 map; not change anything in the settings and flash. I would have bet a month's worth of salary that it would do a cold start (they werent disabled), but asked them what was the point, and they kept telling me the same thing.

On another hand, I tried revving the engine to bypass the cold start but it makes even more noise by doing so. But the more I waste time trying to follow PTF's troubleshooting, the more i'm trying to convince myself that I should try mastering this technique lolll At least this can lead me somewhere...

I hope my patience will be rewarded.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #38
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's my first winter without a Cat; so I was thinking the setting would override the cold starts 100% of the time. Right now, it's not that cold (between 0 and minus 10 Celsius) and I experience some random cold starts. But it can get as cold as minus 30; so what's gonna happen then?

I don't see the cold starts as possible safety mechanism because there isn't any cat left to heat up before you hit the road; so I'm really puzzled right now.
At -30 Celsius it'll do the safety, low-rpm start that I've experienced. It's quieter than a normal quiet start. Almost like it's protecting the engine from even idling at normal rpm because it's so cold. Only happened a few times.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
MaximusJ303.00
      01-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #39
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
At -30 Celsius it'll do the safety, low-rpm start that I've experienced. It's quieter than a normal quiet start. Almost like it's protecting the engine from even idling at normal rpm because it's so cold. Only happened a few times.
Good to know; last winter I had my OEM DP on so I wouldnt have noticed it.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #40
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

I also tried fresh maps and now that it's very cold here it continues, the way I mitigate it is to right after it cold starts very lightly pressed the throttle just enough and it will quiet the car down if you continue to do so for about 15 seconds. Also going straight into drive does something similar. Not ideal but it's what I'm doing until they fix this
Appreciate 1
MaximusJ303.00
      01-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #41
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also tried fresh maps and now that it's very cold here it continues, the way I mitigate it is to right after it cold starts very lightly pressed the throttle just enough and it will quiet the car down if you continue to do so for about 15 seconds. Also going straight into drive does something similar. Not ideal but it's what I'm doing until they fix this
Did you submit a ticket yet? I'm about to escalate mine.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #42
parch8
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you submit a ticket yet? I'm about to escalate mine.
Yup I did wait for response currently
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:15 AM   #43
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Support is stalling; to a point where it’s getting frustrating.
« I went over your map and coldstart is definitely disabled. If you start it up on a cold morning RPM will be slightly higher than usual but that’s it. You can flash to stock tune and watch the difference sir. »

Of course it’s disabled hence why I opened a ticket. I offered to send a video so we can start constructive troubleshooting. This is not going anywhere as it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #44
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Support is stalling; to a point where it’s getting frustrating.
« I went over your map and coldstart is definitely disabled. If you start it up on a cold morning RPM will be slightly higher than usual but that’s it. You can flash to stock tune and watch the difference sir. »

Of course it’s disabled hence why I opened a ticket. I offered to send a video so we can start constructive troubleshooting. This is not going anywhere as it is.
I think this confirms what we've all been thinking and have said: there's some BMW override that PTF doesn't have access to (currently). And to be quite honest, working in software, that could be a high complexity bug with little ROI since it seems to only happen to a subset of customers with certain conditions being met (cold). Probably explains their reluctance.
Appreciate 0