F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY F30 Halogen Low Beam Replacement
Studio RSR

07-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
ARBMWGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 Sport Black on Coral Red

DIY F30 Halogen Low Beam Replacement

This was not described properly in the BMW computer manual so I'm going to give you guys a heads up on what was a more frustrating bulb swap than I expected.

1. Turn wheel to one side to expose panel on inner fender.
2. Remove panel by pulling tabs down to expose circular headlamp bulb panel
3. Turn counter-clockwise to remove circular panel
4. Move bulb housing up and down to loosen and remove

So far these steps are as described in the manual, however bulb removal is quite annoying. After cutting my hand up pretty good and searching for at least 15 minutes online, I finally found a solution. There are three metal brackets that lock in the actual low beam bulb.

5. These brackets must be bent slightly outward in order to remove the bulb
6. After bending the backets slightly, the bulb loosens and easily slides out
7. Before installing the new bulb, bend the brackets back to original position and the new bulb will fit tightly and lock in when installed
8. Repeat previous steps in reverse order to put everything back together

I hope this helps for those wanting to do a DIY bulb only upgrade. Once I figured out the solution with the brackets, the second bulb took me less than 5 minutes to change.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
josb0513
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i Xdrive

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

What bulb to use? Part number and brand please
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendroz View Post
55W??

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
NoHalosLee
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-sport Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendroz View Post
Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2, got them on Amazon. Works great!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #6
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Ordered mine from HIDS direct off eBay.

Same Mtec fogs as Nisfan ..

Low beam order also due today for Osram night breaker unlimited..(Auto express plus others awarded them best in class)

Just hope there easy to swap!!

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
tiburonarce1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #8
Linktolink
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHalosLee View Post
Philips H7 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2, got them on Amazon. Works great!
i had asked someone if the Philips H7 Xtreme-Visions bulbs were compatible with an 2013 BMW 328i and they said it wasn't. So I went ahead and spend more money to buy a hid kit.
Have you had any problems with the bulbs so far? and do you by chance have any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:41 AM   #9
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linktolink View Post
i had asked someone if the Philips H7 Xtreme-Visions bulbs were compatible with an 2013 BMW 328i and they said it wasn't. So I went ahead and spend more money to buy a hid kit.
Have you had any problems with the bulbs so far? and do you by chance have any pictures?

Not fitted mine as yet...I have the osram night breaker unlimited but I still need to buy a decent low profile trolley jack prior to fitting because I felt with the top cover removed I couldn't see sufficient and didn't want to rush and risk causing any damage...

Not sure how your friend can say there not compatible - if the voltage/wattage are the same and still a H7 fitment...

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
NoHalosLee
Rep

Quote:
They work, but my bulbs were H7 CrystalVision Ultra, NOT XtremeVision. I've had them in for over 3 months; no problems so far. Here are some pictures I took in September after switching out the left side first.

The Philips were noticeably "whiter" than the stock halogens. Amazon indicated that it was compatible.

On

Off
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
They work, but my bulbs were H7 CrystalVision Ultra, NOT XtremeVision. I've had them in for over 3 months; no problems so far. Here are some pictures I took in September after switching out the left side first.

The Philips were noticeably "whiter" than the stock halogens. Amazon indicated that it was compatible.

On

Off

Did you take the wheel off to change the bulbs?

The access cover is really small I found and difficult to get my eye line to see the lamp retaining clips?

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
I'm almost certain there's several threads in the lighting section with people that fit the xterme vision..

I also recall someone stating the OEM performance halogen upgrades were Phillips and potentially the xterme vision aswell.

The only reason I opted for the night breaker unlimited was they were the newer model from osram and scored higher in a recent review..

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
NoHalosLee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
Did you take the wheel off to change the bulbs?

The access cover is really small I found and difficult to get my eye line to see the lamp retaining clips?
I didn't need to take the wheels off, just turn them so I can access the lights. the key is steps 5 and 6 highlighted in the first post:

6. After bending the brackets slightly, the bulb loosens and easily slides out

I removed the bulbs without actually looking at them. Putting them back is a little trickier without sight, but fortunately there is only one way you can insert the bulb, align as best you can, then get a visual from the outside of the car. Good luck!

I'm looking to upgrade to HIDs or LEDs (possible one day?) in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
I didn't need to take the wheels off, just turn them so I can access the lights. the key is steps 5 and 6 highlighted in the first post:

I removed the bulbs without actually looking at them. Putting them back is a little trickier without sight, but fortunately there is only one way you can insert the bulb, align as best you can, then get a visual from the outside of the car. Good luck!

Cheers ...me too.

Would be interested to see how linktolinks upgrade goes?

P.s ..nice tidy garage...oh and the double nipper 360 on the wall..

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Linktolink
Registered
Rep

Quote:

So far i've taken off the wheel well and the bulb cover. But in the process of installing the HID kit I came across a few obstacles. How did you manage to bend the brackets outward? Did you use any specific tools?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #16
NoHalosLee
Rep

Quote:
So far i've taken off the wheel well and the bulb cover. But in the process of installing the HID kit I came across a few obstacles. How did you manage to bend the brackets outward? Did you use any specific tools?
For the left headlights, I used my right thumb (vice versa for the other side) to apply gentle pressure (I think you can break it) to bend the brackets slightly. I guess I can describe it as one of those metal clasp that comes on top of a large vanilla envelope, bend to open and close.

I went mostly by feel. Only needed to bend 2 out of 3 brackets because one was blocked. That was enough to remove the bulb.

I know it's tight, and I did scratch my hands on the first attempt. I went back in the house and put bandages on the contact points (2 places). After that, no more injuries.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Linktolink
Registered
Rep

Quote:
For the left headlights, I used my right thumb (vice versa for the other side) to apply gentle pressure (I think you can break it) to bend the brackets slightly. I guess I can describe it as one of those metal clasp that comes on top of a large vanilla envelope, bend to open and close.

I went mostly by feel. Only needed to bend 2 out of 3 brackets because one was blocked. That was enough to remove the bulb.

I know it's tight, and I did scratch my hands on the first attempt. I went back in the house and put bandages on the contact points (2 places). After that, no more injuries.
Alright so I got my left side (driver side) HID installed :thump: and it looks very bright! and no errors have shown up on the car computer. But when I tried pushing the brackets back on the bulb to secure it in place it didn't hold very well so its a bit loose. Other than that the bulb is very bright, so bright that I'm a bit worried that it might blind people on the streets..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Thanks! Tried to change the bulbs before work, was thrown off by not being able to see what I was doing. Will try again, now that I know the wheel doesn't have to come off lol. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #19
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
I'm almost certain there's several threads in the lighting section with people that fit the xterme vision..

I also recall someone stating the OEM performance halogen upgrades were Phillips and potentially the xterme vision aswell.

The only reason I opted for the night breaker unlimited was they were the newer model from osram and scored higher in a recent review..
I replaced my Philips bulbs to the Extreme vision but did not notice much difference. Looking at the original packaging, Philips claims Extreme Vision is 100% brighter than stock bulbs while the factory equipped Philips bulb claimed 50% brighter than comparable bulbs.

On another note, as I wiggled the bulb out of the socket, I ended up scratching the glass on both of the original Philps bulbs to the little cap or visor looking thing that hangs over the low beam bulbs in the headlight housing so you might have to be careful with wiggling the bulbs out if you, for some reason, want to reuse the original bulb in the housing.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #20
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Did you have any trouble with fitting the new bulbs in? I got a free set of the 'performance' halogens, I'm nervous I will scratch them going in...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #21
K320
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: G01-X3 30i MSport

I have a set of PIAA for install.
Will comment on them and let you know guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #22
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZDestroyer View Post
Did you have any trouble with fitting the new bulbs in? I got a free set of the 'performance' halogens, I'm nervous I will scratch them going in...
Going in is easy. Just go straight in and the housing will hug the bulb.
Appreciate 0