F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Ceramic coating
GetBMWParts

02-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 440I M sport

Ceramic coating

Guy's, i am picking up my new Sapphire Black 440i M sport on Monday and it is getting the full exterior and interior ceramic coatings etc, my question to you knowledgeable folks is, what is the best protector to use on it, silica based, polymer based or carnauba wax based as i know some work better than others, being black i am going to have my work cut out to keep it as i like my cars, CLEAN lol
Any information gratefully received.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Are you talking about what you would put on top of the ceramic coating after it's applied? My answer would be, "nothing".

Just for background, I've been applying coatings myself to all 3~4 of my family cars for around five years now. I have tried 2~3 different coatings and kept them on the vehicles for around two years before polishing them off and applying a new product.

When you apply anything on top of a coating, the surface will then take on the properties of that product. Coatings offer very specific attributes like amazing water beading/sheeting ability, durability, and what some call "self cleaning" which simply means they are very easy to clean and often only a brief rain shower will rinse off most light dirt/dust. Any type of topping will interfere with those properties either temporarily, or permanently.

Over the years of having my cars coated, I've never used any type of topping product and I was on the track to easily meet/exceed the manufacturers durability claims. I simply wash the cars on a frequent basis with a coating-friendly car soap without any gloss agents or wax. After the wash is done I'll do a wipe down with a coating friendly waterless wash or quick detailer after drying simply to get rid of any water spots that might have formed during the wash/dry process. Those products by design leave very little/no protective product behind and don't interfere with the properties of the coating.

If you really feel like you want to put something on top of your coating, make sure it's a product designed to be used on ceramic coatings. Many of the vendors who make/sell the coatings also sell topping, washing, and quick detail products which go along with their products. From what I've experienced, you don't have to use products from the same manufacturer as long as they all serve the same purpose. The most common offering tends to be a coating friendly spray topper which will increase the shine, make the surface feel slicker, and supposedly boost the protection. They probably don't hurt, but they really aren't needed.

I try to keep life simple and I've found I have a great experience with coatings by simply keeping them clean with a few very carefully chose products.
Pauloxxi339.00
      02-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you for your response, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
jdg54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Xdrive

CarPro Reload every 3 months after a good wash.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg54 View Post
I spoken with a couple detailers who mention Reload has a tendency to reduce the beading/sheeting properties of the coating a couple weeks after application. To the point the coating's durability is in question. Hopefully, your experience is better.

Since we're talking products, my favorite wipe down product I mention above is CarPro Ech2O mixed at 1:20 ratio. Since it comes as a concentrate designed to be diluted at different ratios for different uses, it's really economical as a quick detailer or waterless wash. A bottle will last a really long time.

I've also got a bottle of CarPro Elixr to try out. I've attempted to use it this winter, but I'm getting typical cold weather issues you see with many detailing products, so I'll wait for it to warm up before trying again and forming an opinion.

Last edited by Desertnate; 02-28-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks again guy's, great info, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

What Desertnate has described is spot-on. My current vehicle has Opti-Coat Pro+ ceramic. While not absolutely critical, I've been following my installer's recommendations, which includes final steps of Opti-Coat Hyper Seal. It's serves as a drying aid and adds some gloss.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I use Technicians Choice Ceramic Spray as my topper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #9
jdg54
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg54 View Post
I spoken with a couple detailers who mention Reload has a tendency to reduce the beading/sheeting properties of the coating a couple weeks after application. To the point the coating's durability is in question. Hopefully, your experience is better.

Since we're talking products, my favorite wipe down product I mention above is CarPro Ech2O mixed at 1:20 ratio. Since it comes as a concentrate designed to be diluted at different ratios for different uses, it's really economical as a quick detailer or waterless wash. A bottle will last a really long time.

I've also got a bottle of CarPro Elixr to try out. I've attempted to use it this winter, but I'm getting typical cold weather issues you see with many detailing products, so I'll wait for it to warm up before trying again and forming an opinion.
Hm, haven't heard that. Topping a ceramic coating with SiO2 should never have the effect. Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye out for similar experiences to which you describe.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have very limited experience with ceramic coatings for the time being, but am interested and actively involved in car detailing. I'll use extracts of the post below to share some thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Are you talking about what you would put on top of the ceramic coating after it's applied? My answer would be, "nothing".
This is a very disputed topic and different opinions keep circulating.

On one hand there is the question about whether what you put on top would not harm the coating underneath (chemical compatibility). It is rather unlikely but not impossible, depending on what comes on top.

One the other, it is a question about whether an additional coating can be of any advantage.

Quote:
When you apply anything on top of a coating, the surface will then take on the properties of that product.
True. I hear/see people often say that. But why is that necessarily a bad thing? There are amazing waxes out there with excellent properties. I'd think that a claim that the properties of any ceramic coating are unbeatable would be rather unreasoned...

Quote:
Coatings offer very specific attributes like amazing water beading/sheeting ability, durability, and what some call "self cleaning" which simply means they are very easy to clean and often only a brief rain shower will rinse off most light dirt/dust. Any type of topping will interfere with those properties either temporarily, or permanently.
Those attributes are typical for many waxes as well. See comment above.

Quote:
If you really feel like you want to put something on top of your coating, make sure it's a product designed to be used on ceramic coatings. Many of the vendors who make/sell the coatings also sell topping, washing, and quick detail products which go along with their products. From what I've experienced, you don't have to use products from the same manufacturer as long as they all serve the same purpose. The most common offering tends to be a coating friendly spray topper which will increase the shine, make the surface feel slicker, and supposedly boost the protection. They probably don't hurt, but they really aren't needed.
Given the unknowns, this is probably the best advice. A top-up product from the same manufacturer, based on the same chemical ingredients, designed specifically for the coating. The usual recommendation I have seen is to apply such product every 3 months or so. I see absolutely no harm in using such toppings. They are also not that expensive, in comparison to the ceramic coating.

All of this said, I would, like many others, want to understand the advantages and disadvantages of wax on top of coating (assuming it does not harm the coating)... One could say - the more protection - the better. Why would that not be true?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 03-04-2020 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guy's for all the input, great info

Must admit on collecting the car after it's ceramic coating it looks totally amazing, like it's still wet, richest blacks I have ever seen so for sure I want to look after the finish to keep it looking so damn good lol

Will take some photo's at the weekend and post them up.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

In my experience, adding a top layer of protection isn't hurting the coating. Its a sacrificial layer of protection on top of your protection...and if you have clear bra, thats another layer of protection.

I switch between a few products. I have had two M3s with ceramic coating. I typically switch between BeadMaker and CarPro Reload at this point. Reload being applied every 3rd wash or so. And when I do Reload, I usually do CarPro Reset shampoo first. Those go well together hand-in-hand. BeadMaker is a decent product but doesnt seem to last as long, and I have to use a lot more of it.
      03-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
bellguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Perfect, backed up my thoughts exactly, much appreciated
Appreciate 0