F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > steelerfan build thread - Glacier Silver 6MT Red MPE Brakes & Dinan parts & 437M
GetBMWParts

02-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

steelerfan build thread - Glacier Silver 6MT Red MPE Brakes & Dinan parts & 437M

Photobucket sucks & i'm not going to rehost all these photos... At the bottom of this post is most recent photos.

I have to give a little background. I had a heavily modded E46 SGM 330i that i loved dearly.. I have regretted selling that car for many years. I realize you didn't hop on this thread to see E46 photos but I believe it helps tell the story

I thought i was going to cry this day

A couple of years went by & then i purchased a B8 A4 and modded it up.. but truth be told i never missed the car after i sold it... handled amazing but was too slow...

So after i sold a daily driver 330i when we got close to having our 1st child, i knew i needed something bigger. I also knew, i had to have a 6MT. if you have ever searched for a 6MT F30, you know how hard they are to find. I booked a one way ticket to Atlanta one night & after my wife dropped me off at the airport, i realized i bought the ticket for the wrong damn day... So i rented a car & drove 4 hours to Atlanta. The day before our baby shower, & i was smoking a pork shoulder for the food.. That was one of the longest days of my life...

Fast forward & year & 1/2...

I've been modding my car for the last year & 1/2 but never really got around to posting a build thread. It started off with OEM retrofits (i.e. PDC, reverse camera etc...). It's been a slow start on the mods but lately, i've been hit by the mod bug really hard. .

I have a lot of MPE parts & have been receiving several request to see more photos of certain parts... And before i bought these parts, i remember searching for photos... so figured I would finally document the build & then i can point folks to this thread. Please do not quote this original thread.. there will be a ton of photos....

Here are a few photos of when i brought her home

Knowing i was going to be adding MPE parts, i just couldn't wait to add the side decals... i loved the way it change the car.. who knew this less than $50 decal would end up costing me a lot of money...

It drove me nuts that car that cost this much didn't come standard with Rear PDC & a reverse camera. If you have read they story, the car was just in to the dealership & didn't photos. I knew it was a M Sport, Silver, 6MT, NAV with HUD.. That was the bare minimum. And i retrofired so much on the E46, i wasn't worried at all about it not having some parts b/c i knew i could probably add it.. Boy was I wrong.. the E46, everything was pre-wired, you just had to buy the components.. Well, that's certainty not the case anymore

Adding Rear PDC & drilling holes in the bumper

Rear PDC complete & working

Reverse camera was next

Then front PDC & also added the M performance front grille

Then all coded up & working

That probably took me about $2K & 6 months later with buying parts off ebay, waiting for good deals. Not to mention having a new born, i couldn't go spend all day in the garage anymore on the weekends.

After that... i really started going a bit over board on mods... Sorry i didn't capture photos of them all

Some M Performance Exterior parts - I added the M performance Rear Spoiler but didn't photo that for some reason but it's in other shots. Everything is matte black btw

After the spoiler I added the M performance interior, 6MT shift knob & ebrake

Front Aero Lip - This is the photo that gets requested the most btw

Wish i had a better one of the Rear diffuser. This one made much more of a different in the rear of the car than i thought it would

Then I added Dinan Exhaust & CAI. Really loving the sound of the car now

Now onto my favorite mod so far that has really changed the look of the car completely. The OEM 437M M3 wheels

Oh I was getting giddy with excitement at this point:

So concave, this is front wheel

Rear wheel

The wheels finally on

Here you can kinda get a shot of the rear diffuser & spoiler

Here is the latest pic as of Feb 2017

I'm working on Surround & Top View and hopefully Blind Spot detection & basically driver assistance plus.. I really, really want the Speed limit in the HUD...

M Performance Brakes are on the way.. I got Pheonix Yellow b/c the deal was just too good to pass up on... I'm going to find a shop & get them powder coated Red if it's not too expensive..

going from HU_CIC to HU_NBT is definitely something I'm researching & keeping my eyes open for a good deal.

Looking at lowering the car in some capacity. Just now sure how i want to go yet.

I will add some other picks with the wheels as i take them.

Oh yeah, and someone please buy my 403M Rimes please!!!!

Stock photos

3 years later

Last edited by steelerfan; 09-24-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 11
///Cardia299.50
7iM3less2575.50
TBN54426.50
      02-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #2
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Congratulations on your 335i & New Born.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
RIDERDIE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 f30 n20

Looks great! Some pricey upgrades there. I'm envious of the PDC and camera retrofit. Just picked up a 14 w/o them and still have my fully flushed 12 in the driveway with them. Plan to add those and the heated steering wheel soon. Also intrigued with the most perf. Interior, what's your opinion of it?

2007 e92 n54 - sold
2003 e46 M3 - sold
1999 e36 M3 - sold
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttomanTR16 View Post
Congratulations on your 335i & New Born.
Thanks!!! He's been the best blessing of them all.. The car is just a car at the end of the day... This little guy, makes me wanna get back home from my work trips... Sure I miss the car when I'm gone, driving a crappy rental car.. but this little guy, he's one of a kind... . I call him Mini-me...

Appreciate 11
      02-11-2016, 01:30 AM   #5
kemiksiz
Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great storyy Very nice car, just maybe needs some drop, little one

I'm also waiting my mini-me-lady in 3-4 months hopefully

I'm very interested in the front PDC indeed. I have OEM rear camera & PDC with my LCI. Do you think is it an easy mod ? And does not cost a fortune like 1K dollars?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
Thats a really cute baby

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
LeontiyZHP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90m3; F15x35i

Congrats on the car and the new born! He's very cute and handsome!

I remember your ZHP from when I had mine. Those cars were great. I'm driving my wife's 335i now, while she is in my f25 x3.

The 335i looks great! Great choice in mods. Did you use genuine M Performance parts, or another brand? Curious to know if its not M Performance on how happy you are with the fitment. It looks great in the pics.

How difficult was it to wire the PDC/Reverse Camera? I thought it was very convenient how the e46 was prewired. I thought f-models would be the same. I'm planning on eventually doing the same for the f25 x3. I'm glad to know I can drill holes and do not have to replace the bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Car's looking great.

I think NBT Navi should be in your future
      02-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
platty
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 VERT

Great story! Man that Audi does look good. I like the simple, clean lines; was looking at those before ending up with the F30.

How about painted reflectors? I think the orange is going to clash with the new brakes. Those are going to look awesome btw.

Cute baby! I didn't see any BMW power wheels in the garage though...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiksiz View Post
Great storyy Very nice car, just maybe needs some drop, little one

I'm also waiting my mini-me-lady in 3-4 months hopefully

I'm very interested in the front PDC indeed. I have OEM rear camera & PDC with my LCI. Do you think is it an easy mod ? And does not cost a fortune like 1K dollars?
Agree on the drop...... Adding front PDC wouldn't be bad at all b/c you have rear PDC. You just need the sensors & the wiring harness. Keep in mind I had to buy all the modules, all wiring harness, 8 sensors etc.. You should be able to get out for a $300-$400 or maybe less if you do it yourself. Find the front PDC retrofit, lots of good info there. Buy your sensors on ebay, get OEM but the color doesn't matter b/c you can sand them down & paint them. Unless you have a black car, then get the black OEM ones, they will be the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thats a really cute baby
Thanks Mike!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeontiyZHP View Post
Congrats on the car and the new born! He's very cute and handsome!

I remember your ZHP from when I had mine. Those cars were great. I'm driving my wife's 335i now, while she is in my f25 x3.

The 335i looks great! Great choice in mods. Did you use genuine M Performance parts, or another brand? Curious to know if its not M Performance on how happy you are with the fitment. It looks great in the pics.

How difficult was it to wire the PDC/Reverse Camera? I thought it was very convenient how the e46 was prewired. I thought f-models would be the same. I'm planning on eventually doing the same for the f25 x3. I'm glad to know I can drill holes and do not have to replace the bumpers.
Thanks man.. You remember my E46 from the e46fanatics forum? awesome... I loved that car

funny we have the same cars in the garage. My wife drives the M sport X3. It's the 35 engine in it & let's just say she doesn't baby it... . It sounds like it has after market exhaust the way she leaves out of here every morning

All OEM parts... I wanted no issues with fitment. Some of the parts are new, some I scored good deals on used here on the forum. The rear diffuser is a perfect example, saved a couple hundred on that one. Found the exhaust used on ebay, saved several hundred on that one too.

As for the PDC.. it wasn't easy but If your comfortable working on your cars, especially electronics it's totally doable. The DIY's on here make it possible. The bumpers already have the holes designated, you will see it marked on the inside of the bumper which makes that piece way easier. Just go slow with the step bit. I actually bought the OEM hole punch tool from a dude in UK for the front side cameras when i finally find time to do that one, we can't get that tool over here. Read both the Front & Rear PDC DIY on this forum for more details

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Car's looking great.

I think NBT Navi should be in your future
hahaha... hmmm why you selling one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
Great story! Man that Audi does look good. I like the simple, clean lines; was looking at those before ending up with the F30.

How about painted reflectors? I think the orange is going to clash with the new brakes. Those are going to look awesome btw.

Cute baby! I didn't see any BMW power wheels in the garage though...
Thanks platty... that is the very condensed version with all the cars i've owned/sold over the years... it's got to be 20+. I really don't miss the Audi... not at all. It used to turn a lot of heads but I realized i'm a bimmer guy.

I agree on the painted reflectors... it never really bothered me until i started doing the mods. Can't wait to put those brakes on, they arrived today

Thanks, you will get to meet the little guy next Sat.. He's awesome. I started laughing about the power wheels.. I eyeball that every time i go in the dealership.. as soon as he's old enough..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #11
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh guess what arrived today....

No, not the cat.. What's insides those boxes!!!

These rotors are huge.. this is one of the rear ones. The Front one is almost 14 1/2"

Not very happy one of the calipers powercoating is chipped, i emailed bimmerworld about that tonight.. i will keep you updated on their response

As long as I could remember, I've wanted a BBK. Would have loved to have got a 6piston/4piston setup.. but wasn't willing to spend $6K+ for that setup.... not right now. maybe one day...

Last edited by steelerfan; 09-24-2017 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
PCR0303
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F32

Everything looks great! Especially the cat and the BBK. You're going to love the look of the BBK, I'd keep it that color and not powdercoat it red
      02-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #13
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
A very nice complicated mod car looks great.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:44 AM   #14
kemiksiz
Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW

Come on, mount them on ASAP!!!
Loved the 370mm rotors, awesome!
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 06:28 AM   #15
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Very nice setup! The M Performance brake kit will look great behind the 437M wheels.

Have you considered adding the M Performance side blades? Relatively cheap and adds depth to the side profile.

Great car!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
zman1237
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F12 M6, F32 428i M-Sport

Really nice and clean setup here. Well done!Can't wait to see the brakes installed!
      02-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #17
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR0303 View Post
Everything looks great! Especially the cat and the BBK. You're going to love the look of the BBK, I'd keep it that color and not powdercoat it red
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
A very nice complicated mod car looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiksiz View Post
Come on, mount them on ASAP!!!
Loved the 370mm rotors, awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleser View Post
Very nice setup! The M Performance brake kit will look great behind the 437M wheels.

Have you considered adding the M Performance side blades? Relatively cheap and adds depth to the side profile.

Great car!
You know i left that off the list but by accident.. definitely on the "to-do"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1237 View Post
Really nice and clean setup here. Well done!Can't wait to see the brakes installed!
Thanks everyone.. i can't wait to get the MPE brake kit on!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
oguz kuruca
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 BMW M4

How hard was it to do the rearview camera? I'm thinking about this too.. I dont care about the PDC but Camera would be nice.. and how much did that mod cost you? TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:51 PM   #19
MFerr30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive Msport

You make this fellow glacier silver 6mt owner very proud. Car is looking good! I understand the struggle of finding the right manual 335. I'm holding off on buying more modes on my car so the wife doesn't give me that look. But my first mod was buying some recaros...recaro baby seats

congrats on the kiddo and with the great progress with the car!
      02-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oguz kuruca View Post
How hard was it to do the rearview camera? I'm thinking about this too.. I dont care about the PDC but Camera would be nice.. and how much did that mod cost you? TIA
Rear PDC is a prerequisite unfortunately before you can add the OEM reverse camera... No way around that one. You might want to look at BMW retrofits website for aftermarket options

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFerr30 View Post
You make this fellow glacier silver 6mt owner very proud. Car is looking good! I understand the struggle of finding the right manual 335. I'm holding off on buying more modes on my car so the wife doesn't give me that look. But my first mod was buying some recaros...recaro baby seats

congrats on the kiddo and with the great progress with the car!
Hahaha on the recaros...love it
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #21
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

The yellow looks good. IMO better and stand out more than the popular red or blue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #22
Photoman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30, 2013 E70

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Excellent build... Love silver cars!
Where did you get the backup camera retrofit from?
Also what are the tire specs you're running on the 437s? I heard that the stock F80 sizes rub.
Appreciate 0