F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Our Interview Detailing BMW M Performance Parts, from 2012 Geneva Launch
ARMA SPEED

03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Arrow Our Interview Detailing BMW M Performance Parts, from 2012 Geneva Launch

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Our Interview Detailing BMW M Performance Parts, from 2012 Geneva Launch
COMMENTS

Name:  MPerf_T.jpg
Views: 19510
Size:  63.3 KB

BMW launched and announced its initial M Performance Parts lineup officially at the 2012 Geneva Motorshow. While the now released M Performance Parts official catalog explains much, we took some time to find out some more details for you. Stefan Weiss of the M Performance Parts team was helpful in giving us some further insight.

Please give us a quick overview on the M Performance Parts. What's the motive for 'renaming' the Performance Parts program to M Performance Parts?
M Performance Parts are now available for the new 1 series, 3 series, and 5 series. There are many different product categories like exhaust systems, engine tuning, drivetrain, suspension, and interior/exterior. We develop these parts together with the engineers of M GmbH. We started this collaboration in 2010 for the M3 and for the X5M and X6M. The products were quite successful in the market, that's why we decided to go ahead with this cooperation and also develop for the regular series cars like the 1 and 3 series. That's why the parts being released now and into the future will be called "M Performance Parts." [See recent feature video]

Name:  MPerf_B_300.jpg
Views: 26226
Size:  25.5 KB
What are the differences between the M Sport Brakes and the M Performance Brakes (other than caliper color)?
The caliper colors (M Sport are blue, M Performance brakes come in orange, yellow, red). M Performance brakes have lightweight brake discs construction (slotted and drilled).

Any restrictions with the 370mm brake discs (wheel size, etc)?
It won't fit 17" wheels. Need to have 18" wheels and larger.

Are you considering to offer M Performance Brakes for the F10 as well?
Nothing to announce at the moment.

Popular question on our site: Will the M Performance Brakes fit the E9x M3?
No.

What's the weight / weight saving with the M Performance wheels? (20" for F10 and F30, 19" for F20)
They are forged wheels. Savings are approximately 1kg per wheel.

Is the M Performance suspension different from the M Sport Suspension? If so, what are the differences?
The M Performance suspension was developed with M engineers on racetracks. It will be 10mm lower than M Sport package suspension. It will be stiffer than M Sport for better handling.

Name:  MPerf_E_300.jpg
Views: 28162
Size:  14.1 KB
Please tell a bit more about the M Performance exhaust for 640i, 535i, 335i, and 125i. Is an M letter engraved on the exhaust tips like on the M Performance exhaust for the E9x M3?
It's a more free flowing exhaust with less restriction. There is a power gain, but not too large. We don't communicate the exact power gain figure. There will be M letters stamped on all M Performance exhausts.

The press release says that power kits for the petrol engines are in preparation. Which engines will you offer such a power kit for (28i, 35i)?
We are currently working on M Performance power kits for the 125i (uses a lower powered version of the N20 than the N20 version used in the F30 328i) and the F30 335i. These power kits are currently undergoing testing and should be available at end of this year. Power gains should be in the same range as the Performance Power Kits for the E9X models.

When will the M Performance parts be available in the US? Same for F30?
Parts are in stock and on shipment to the US. Will probably launch around May - for 3 series and 5 series.

Other notes/insights we found out:

High gloss carbon fiber is nice but very expensive due to the multiple clear coating process, so to keep prices lower for owners, the 1 and 3 series M Performance trims are in 'rough' carbon fiber finish, where you can still touch and feel the fibers pattern (it's real carbon fiber). The rough carbon fiber trims are clear coated twice (versus 10 times for the high gloss carbon fiber M Performance trim that the F10 5 series gets).

Name:  MPerf_W_300.jpg
Views: 28604
Size:  21.7 KB
M Performance steering wheel is available with or without electronics. The shape and size of the wheels are the same, but the non-electronic one gets a red tab in place of the electronic display.

M Performance exterior parts are designed to work with the M Sport package. They fit right into, on top of, or replace certain parts of the M Sport package exterior parts. For example, the air inlet inserts on the F20 1 series bolt right into the air inlets of the F20 M sport front bumper and the front spoiler lip right underneath the M sport front bumper. The F30's M Performance carbon fiber splitters attach to the F30 M Sport bumper. The rear diffuser of the F20 and F30 also simply replace the rear diffuser part of each model's rear bumper. This modular design prevents having to swap entire bumpers, which not only makes it easier to retrofit M Performance parts, but also lowers the costs of parts and retrofitting.

The 19" M Performance bi-color wheels are forged. They start off being coated in all black, and some of the spokes are then machined to achieve the contrasting colors look.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
asiansensation239
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

This is a good interview! Reading about all these parts and their visual and performance effects on the F30, it really gets me thinking about the F80 and its performance levels in comparison to a souped up M performance F30. From the camo shots of the F80, the front lights and hood design look very much like the F30. So far, the bitchin bumpers and fender flares are what make it look different...love the motorsport stance!...i kind of hope the lights are different than the F30..

Also, for some reason, I feel like the electronic display doesn't belong ON the M steering wheel. I'm guessing it's for lap timing, but they could have added that to the HUD as well, right by the speedometer. Oh well, thats my opinion anyway...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

major fail that there's no M performance brakes for the E9x M3's...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Can we purchase the performance exhaust for the F10 535i yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
paddyrx8
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 MSport, Estoril

Garage List
2013 320d M sport  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2006 E90 320D MSPORT  [0.00]
2005 E90 320i  [0.00]
5 wins it

I think now that the new shape 1,3 and 5 are all released and side by side in this picture, the 5 series is the best looking car this time around. Think a 530d M-Sport will be my next car. Bit off topic.
      03-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

The ability to modify and personalize a car BEFORE it comes off of the lot is an excellent idea; this was BMW's best year ever (2011), but my bet is that 2012-13 will blow 2011 out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Great interview, south. Some questions and observations:

1) Does that mean that M Performance exterior parts (splitters, etc) require the M Sport package in order to fit properly?

2) So this pretty much confirms that, color aside, the M Performance calipers and the M Sport calipers are the same. So if someone wanted to spend the money to retrofit, they can have any of the four colors they wanted.

3) Regarding your question about the differences between the M Performance suspension and the M Sport suspension, I thought the M Sport suspension was no different than the Sport Line suspension. Was your question excluding the F30?

4) I like that the F20 and F30 exterior parts won't have as much clear coat. Keeps the price down, and those who really want a glossy look to their CF can have the clear coat applied elsewhere. I rather like the matte CF coat that Porsche uses, actually.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Great interview, south. Some questions and observations:

1) Does that mean that M Performance exterior parts (splitters, etc) require the M Sport package in order to fit properly?
Thanks. Yes, that's right.

Quote:
2) So this pretty much confirms that, color aside, the M Performance calipers and the M Sport calipers are the same. So if someone wanted to spend the money to retrofit, they can have any of the four colors they wanted.
Yes, the calipers are technically the same while the brake discs are different.

Quote:
3) Regarding your question about the differences between the M Performance suspension and the M Sport suspension, I thought the M Sport suspension was no different than the Sport Line suspension. Was your question excluding the F30?
It's the other way round: In the US, the Sport Line gets the M Sport suspension.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Question: Can one buy a base F30 with M performance parts in US and when?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR///M3 View Post
major fail that there's no M performance brakes for the E9x M3's...
Believe me, it is a lost cause. Nobody is listening and besides a few (which will include me) nobody cares.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Alpine White/Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
e92mods
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Looking forward
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

2 questions:

1) will the M performance brakes perform any better than the M sport brakes? I assume less fade b/c cross drilled/slotted, but what about stopping distances or significant weight reduction?

2) If an M performance power pack is coming soon for the n55, then I'm confused about the supposed ///M335i. I mean what's the purpose of these little dealer-installed tunes when there's bigger factory fish on the horizon (///M335i or ///M3)?
      03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #13
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
2 questions:

1) will the M performance brakes perform any better than the M sport brakes? I assume less fade b/c cross drilled/slotted, but what about stopping distances or significant weight reduction?

2) If an M performance power pack is coming soon for the n55, then I'm confused about the supposed ///M335i. I mean what's the purpose of these little dealer-installed tunes when there's bigger factory fish on the horizon (///M335i or ///M3)?
Bigger brakes will almost never make the car stop in a shorter distance. The brake disc and caliper are primarily heatsinks to draw heat away from the pads which will fade if they get too hot. Bigger brakes mean more area for this heat to be drawn away and dissipated, but even the smallest single piston brakes could easily lock up your tires. Your tires are almost always the limiting factor when it comes to stopping distances.

For the people hoping for a brake upgrade on the E9x M3, I see where you're coming from but you're barking up the wrong tree. The best thing you can do is get the M3 GT4 brake cooling ducts, the main reason the M3's brakes get hot so quickly is because it does not come standard with brake cooling ducts. Getting bigger brakes will barely make a difference without proper airflow.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
For the people hoping for a brake upgrade on the E9x M3, I see where you're coming from but you're barking up the wrong tree. The best thing you can do is get the M3 GT4 brake cooling ducts, the main reason the M3's brakes get hot so quickly is because it does not come standard with brake cooling ducts. Getting bigger brakes will barely make a difference without proper airflow.
Not to mention there are plenty of great aftermarket alternatives. I hardly see the reason for wanting rebranded Brembos unless you just have to have an M on your calipers...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake P View Post
Not to mention there are plenty of great aftermarket alternatives. I hardly see the reason for wanting rebranded Brembos unless you just have to have an M on your calipers...
If there is no reason why are all the non-M folk so ecstatic about all the M stuff being released? I guess it is just awesome to boast a bunch of M branded parts on the regular family sedan. At least on the M car it belongs. Just saying...

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
If there is no reason why are all the non-M folk so ecstatic about all the M stuff being released? I guess it is just awesome to boast a bunch of M branded parts on the regular family sedan. At least on the M car it belongs. Just saying...
I'm not sure I follow your logic, but here's my take: People are happy to have an alternative for upgraded OEM parts that will be installed by their trusted dealer techs. When it comes to brakes, they are R&D'd by Brembo and are likely no better than the BBK's that Brembo (or StopTech, AP, etc.) manufacture and sell aftermarket. I just don't see any reason for an M owner to long for a set of rebranded Brembos when they can buy brakes that are equal (or better, in many cases) quality, unless they just feel better about having an M on their calipers. When I order my F31 M Sport, I will be happy if the big blue brakes are included as part of the package, but would likely NOT opt for the M Performance brakes if the price is just as much as a set of quality aftermarket big brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow your logic, but here's my take: People are happy to have an alternative for upgraded OEM parts that will be installed by their trusted dealer techs. When it comes to brakes, they are R&D'd by Brembo and are likely no better than the BBK's that Brembo (or StopTech, AP, etc.) manufacture and sell aftermarket. I just don't see any reason for an M owner to long for a set of rebranded Brembos when they can buy brakes that are equal (or better, in many cases) quality, unless they just feel better about having an M on their calipers. When I order my F31 M Sport, I will be happy if the big blue brakes are included as part of the package, but would likely NOT opt for the M Performance brakes if the price is just as much as a set of quality aftermarket big brakes.
I see what you are saying in regards to all the aftermarket parts. I know there is a ton of options out there. I just can't figure out why they will not offer the M specific parts to the people that owns an M vehicle. Some might want parts sold by BMW and installed by the dealership. I would like to have these M brakes added to my car by the dealership as this will matter when it comes to my warranty. If I start adding these aftermarket performance parts the warranty is out the window, but maybe that's what they want?

2022 BMW X6M Competition

Last edited by Tobbep; 03-14-2012 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbep View Post
I see what you are saying in regards to all the aftermarket parts. I know there is a ton of options out there. I just can't figure out why they will not offer the M specific parts to the people that owns an M vehicle. Some might want parts sold by BMW and installed by the dealership. I would like to have these M brakes added to my car by the dealership as this will matter when it comes to my warranty.
I understand your point, but as I'm sure you realize, they have a finite amount of resources and have chosen to focus on new vehicles where there is a potential for growth. Like it or not, but you now have the "old 3 series" and BMW is obviously hard at work on the next M3, so they are not going to waste time and money developing new products for old models. Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
Tobbep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand your point, but as I'm sure you realize, they have a finite amount of resources and have chosen to focus on new vehicles where there is a potential for growth. Like it or not, but you now have the "old 3 series" and BMW is obviously hard at work on the next M3, so they are not going to waste time and money developing new products for old models. Simple as that.
You have a valid point. If they are already producing a new M3 why spend the money to create new parts for an old version. They need to move forward. I guess it is time for me to start looking at some of the aftermarket parts.

2022 BMW X6M Competition
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Seems many folks interested in M Performance parts haven't seen this interview/FAQ.

Bump for them.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
When I order my F31 M Sport, I will be happy if the big blue brakes are included as part of the package, but would likely NOT opt for the M Performance brakes if the price is just as much as a set of quality aftermarket big brakes.
YES. I'm with you 100%. I have a picture of the M Sport wheel with blue caliper on my screen saver right now. All I need is my F31 M Sport!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

People keep on wondering about the Difference between the M Perf Suspension and M Sport (see quote):

Is the M Performance suspension different from the M Sport Suspension? If so, what are the differences?
The M Performance suspension was developed with M engineers on racetracks. It will be 10mm lower than M Sport package suspension. It will be stiffer than M Sport for better handling.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0