F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How to Fit Guide - Manual Lumbar Support
GetBMWParts

01-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

How to Fit Guide - Manual Lumbar Support

So today I finally got round to fitting the manual lumbar support that I bought a while ago and had been planning and researching for a while. Now that my bad back has returned it seemed the right time.

I bought a hand inflated lumbar support bag, got some plastic card so that it doesn't inflate through the springs and actually pushes in the correct direction. Then needed some form of fixing to attach the bag to the card. Managed to find something on ebay with some rubber washers. I also bought some replacement 'fir tree' pegs in case I damaged the two that hold the back of the seat on, however the ones I had on my seat had removable centre pins so we're reusable.

It was fairly straight forward, had to release the two small side springs to get it behind the seat springs. Tried it out until I found the correct place to give lumbar support. Fixed in place by cutting tabs in the plastic card so it is not permenantly fixed and could easily be removed in case of warranty claims.

Photo''s are not as good as I would like but seems to show how I did it and it seems to work well. Hope this helps anyone else thinking of doing it.
Attached Images

Last edited by sensible; 01-04-2019 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 4
PJJD101.00
hilift72.50
Soul_Glo13346.00
      01-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Nice neat mod

I must get round to doing mine. I had an inflatable lumbar pad on order but eventually cancelled it as the supplier couldn't get stock for months.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Well done that man! Nice One
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

This is defo something i have missed since getting this beemer.

Even my Mk1 Focus RS had lumbar support!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
Excellent guide well done , where did you get the lumbar pad .
The fact that my all option f31 has no lumbar support has been a bit disappointing TBH .bit short sighted of BMW not to include it as part of the electric seat package .
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Looks great. I bought the pad 2 years ago and it’s still by my desk at work! Could you link to the extra fasteners you bought? Looks just the job...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilift View Post
Excellent guide well done , where did you get the lumbar pad .
The fact that my all option f31 has no lumbar support has been a bit disappointing TBH .bit short sighted of BMW not to include it as part of the electric seat package .
https://www.corbeau-seats.com/product/lumber-support/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Looks great. I bought the pad 2 years ago and it’s still by my desk at work! Could you link to the extra fasteners you bought? Looks just the job...
I bought mine about that long ago and only just got round to fitting it.

With regard to the fasteners, I bought them a long time ago too and can't find them online now. They didn't close enough to grip the pad and the plastic card that's why I had to pack them out with rubber washers. There might be something better or easier to use, even something like stationary clips or cardboard fasteners.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Driven to work and back today and the lumbar support was a bit too high, so easily took the back of the seat off again and slid it down one spring lower, which seems perfect now.

The amount of inflation is more than enough, and does not require it to be fully inflated, so this size inflatable pad is plenty big enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
graham8728
Rep
Drives: F30 335d x-drive

I've got a 335d msport and have the same issue - bad back, and find the seats terrible!

I did a very similar mod, but using a 3 cell inflatable pad:
https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/real-...prod_4245.html

I have absolutely zero mechanical ability (I'm really not kidding) and managed to do this myself. It literally does only take 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, this hasn't made the seat any better for me though - back issues are really individual, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

I've now got the following options:
1. Sell the car - I don't want to do this - it's the best car I've owned (seat comfort aside),

2. Retrofit OEM lumbar support - does anyone know of someone who does this in the UK?

3. Find an F30 seat with lumbar support at a scrap yard (very unlikely),

4. Fit a Recaro Ergomed - but don't know if this will be comfortable or will fit the car, and they're mega expensive,

5. Fit an Audi A4 / A5 seat (I find these seats comfortable). Does anyone know:
a. If the Audi seat will fit, and
b. Anyone in the UK who could do this mod?

Many thanks for any recommendations or suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham8728 View Post
I've got a 335d msport and have the same issue - bad back, and find the seats terrible!

I did a very similar mod, but using a 3 cell inflatable pad:
https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/real-...prod_4245.html

I have absolutely zero mechanical ability (I'm really not kidding) and managed to do this myself. It literally does only take 15 minutes.

Unfortunately, this hasn't made the seat any better for me though - back issues are really individual, what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

I've now got the following options:
1. Sell the car - I don't want to do this - it's the best car I've owned (seat comfort aside),

2. Retrofit OEM lumbar support - does anyone know of someone who does this in the UK?

3. Find an F30 seat with lumbar support at a scrap yard (very unlikely),

4. Fit a Recaro Ergomed - but don't know if this will be comfortable or will fit the car, and they're mega expensive,

5. Fit an Audi A4 / A5 seat (I find these seats comfortable). Does anyone know:
a. If the Audi seat will fit, and
b. Anyone in the UK who could do this mod?

Many thanks for any recommendations or suggestions.
When I first had my car I struggled with the seats but then found a comfortable adjustment. However, whenever I have back ache (not from the car) the seats don't help and magnify it. I am hoping that the lumbar support will just give me better posture in the car.

Your options aren't great and I don't think OEM lumbar support would do it for you. After all they are just inflatable bags too and nothing better than what you or I have.

An Audi seat in the car would look a bit odd. If I were you I would explore the Recaro Ergomed route, but if that doesn't fit.....dare I say it, change it for an A4.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
johnnybforbacon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Really tempted to do this. Pretty much the only thing I don't like about the car and is a pain (literally) on long journeys. I am tempted to be lazy and just buy a cushion type as people use in offices purely for long journeys....
      04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

What are all the transparent tubes for? Interesting mod - might look into this
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
What are all the transparent tubes for? Interesting mod - might look into this
I think they must be for the electrically operated bolster supports that inflate and deflate with a button on the side of the seat. This is fitted as standard to the M-Sport but lumbar support isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Ah yes, of course. Forget I had the powered bolsters, think I set them and forgot about it.

Thanks for the post though, may do the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #16
A15X
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d M sport Convertible

I really struggled with the seats in my 4 series m sport as the seat was tilted back and didn’t realise it could be adjusted flat. Since making the seat more flat so I wasn’t tilted into the seat with pressure on my back I find the car so much more comfortable. I do have the electric seats in my car tho...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A15X View Post
I really struggled with the seats in my 4 series m sport as the seat was tilted back and didn’t realise it could be adjusted flat. Since making the seat more flat so I wasn’t tilted into the seat with pressure on my back I find the car so much more comfortable. I do have the electric seats in my car tho...
Yes I did find that too. I initially set my seat tilting backwards and struggled with back pain, then set it flat so my weight was through my butt and not my back. This did improve things but still felt my posture was poor with a rounded back. This lumbar support mod make me sit up straight with that lower back arch.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 04:46 AM   #18
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
As a long-time back pain suffer, could I suggest getting some small cushions/pads and just put these behind you on a long drive, moving them around until you get a comfortable position. When you find something that works for you, then think about installing pads into the seat at that same position.

I find the inflatable pads are best for semi-permanent install because they do allow some adjustment, and often a change of position is what is needed.

For a lot of people, sitting closer to the steering wheel fixes the problem, sitting with the wheel a long way back encourages a poor posture as you need to reach forward to get to the wheel. The old trick of finding a position where your wrist comfortably reaches the top of the steering wheel is a useful start position.

Finally, when you are in an office chair or car seat that works for you, think about the characteristics of that position, is your leg/back at 90 degrees, or more? Is your back straight, concave, or convex?

F30/31 seats allow a lot of adjustment, so you should be able to get the seat into a position that gets you close to your ideal
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Great mod. Did exactly this to mine couple of years ago is is still working fine.

Like the idea of the rubber washers & clips to hold the plastic to the bag, very professional. I just used small cable ties but would adopt your fixing if did again.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #20
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Great mod. Did exactly this to mine couple of years ago is is still working fine.

Like the idea of the rubber washers & clips to hold the plastic to the bag, very professional. I just used small cable ties but would adopt your fixing if did again.
It took a while searching the Internet and ebay before I found something to attach the bag to the plastic card, but worth it.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2111.50
      06-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #21
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
It took a while searching the Internet and ebay before I found something to attach the bag to the plastic card, but worth it.
How’s the mod going? Regarding the heated seats. I assume heating element sits in front of the metal grid/support?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoss View Post
How’s the mod going? Regarding the heated seats. I assume heating element sits in front of the metal grid/support?
No problems with mine. The seat heating elements sit in front of the foam and the support frame is behind the foam. The lumbar bag sits between the foam and the support frame.

When you inflate, it simply pushes the foam toward you.
Appreciate 0