F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i exhaust noise
Extreme Powerhouse

03-05-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
Hgill11
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

435i exhaust noise

Seems to be an issue with the exhaust making this screeching sound. First noticed with windows down in sport mode when letting off the gas and didn't figure out where it was coming from until today . I put it in sport mode while parked reved the car a bit so the flap opens up then put it in eco mode then the flap closes and same sound comes.so guessing it has something to do with the flap? same noise I heard while driving it is this whining noise kinda screechy very annoying . While driving it is a two phase squeel while parked once .car is completely stock 2014 435i

Didn't have this sound when I first got the car and have used Carly bmw app to manually open and close the flap before without this extra sound. So not sure if it's the flap or something else .

Has anyone else has this issue if so would it be under warranty?

Last edited by Hgill11; 03-05-2021 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Tooadvanced
Rep
Drives: BMW 428 xi

Thats the flap opening and closing. I usually ride in sport mode to avoid that flap from toggling from open/close. I ended up removing it. I think you can code it off with bimmercode.
      03-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Hgill11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooadvanced View Post
Thats the flap opening and closing. I usually ride in sport mode to avoid that flap from toggling from open/close. I ended up removing it. I think you can code it off with bimmercode.
I don't think that noise is the regular opening and closing sounds alittle extra?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #4
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgill11 View Post
I don't think that noise is the regular opening and closing sounds alittle extra?
Yes, that is much louder than normal valve operation and and sounds like metal scraping. Valve actuator could be scraping on something on the outside of your muffler or the flap itself scraping on inside the pipe.

Easiest fix would be to just keep the flap open and forget about it, there's really no downside.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #5
Hgill11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Quote:
Yes, that is much louder than normal valve operation and and sounds like metal scraping. Valve actuator could be scraping on something on the outside of your muffler or the flap itself scraping on inside the pipe.

Easiest fix would be to just keep the flap open and forget about it, there's really no downside.
yah that would be the best option but I still have my bmw extended warranty so wondering if they will fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
yah that would be the best option but I still have my bmw extended warranty so wondering if they will fix it under warranty.
Yeah, your warranty should cover it as a defective part. It's definitely not normal wear and tear.
Appreciate 0