F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2021 feedback for the 340i
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

2021 feedback for the 340i

Hey all, so I'm sure this has been discussed a bit but it's been a while since the last post regarding this. I was interested in buying a 2017/2018 340i with the M Sport Package.

What mileage point is best to buy these things used? Some people said 40k because that's when differentials, transfer case, spark plugs, tires, brakes are all changed at.

Should I purchase after market warranty? If yeah, when does this start giving the most problems

How's insurance like on one of these? I'm still under 25 so I'm guessing it's pretty expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

I don't think many people are changing out their transfer cases or differentials. And if you're referring to the fluid that's not being done either as bmw states the fluids are "lifetime" so there is no maintenance for them. I would say the lower the mileage the better. In my experience with the car so far it seems the weak points are all in the suspension. I have 60k on mine and have some bearings that need replacing. My front EDC struts had to replaced under warranty at about 45k and it appears the rears now need to be done. The engine so far seems to be up to the task so I wouldn't worry about that.

Just understand the cost of owning a bmw is naturally going to be higher than say a Kia or Honda. And when it comes to insurance don't ever, EVER, buy a car you can't afford comp/collision with a $500 deductible. If you can't afford the proper insurance, you can't afford the car. Simple as that.
      03-06-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
mfran615
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I don't think many people are changing out their transfer cases or differentials. And if you're referring to the fluid that's not being done either as bmw states the fluids are "lifetime" so there is no maintenance for them. I would say the lower the mileage the better. In my experience with the car so far it seems the weak points are all in the suspension. I have 60k on mine and have some bearings that need replacing. My front EDC struts had to replaced under warranty at about 45k and it appears the rears now need to be done. The engine so far seems to be up to the task so I wouldn't worry about that.

Just understand the cost of owning a bmw is naturally going to be higher than say a Kia or Honda. And when it comes to insurance don't ever, EVER, buy a car you can't afford comp/collision with a $500 deductible. If you can't afford the proper insurance, you can't afford the car. Simple as that.
Horrible advice. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. People need to stop spewing this nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfran615 View Post
Quote:

Horrible advice. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. People need to stop spewing this nonsense.
I have a f10 528i and I took it in for an oil change and they said $3k for transfer case fluid, auto trans fluid, brake fluid, fuel injection service, and differential fluids all replaced. Which is all apparently the recommended maintenance at 40k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was stating that bmw won't change the fluids under maintenance because they call them lifetime fluids, not that he shouldn't. I 100% disagree with bmw and have changed all the fluids in my. Either way, not many people are changing those fluids at 40k.
Wires1636.50
      03-06-2021, 08:18 PM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have a f10 528i and I took it in for an oil change and they said $3k for transfer case fluid, auto trans fluid, brake fluid, fuel injection service, and differential fluids all replaced. Which is all apparently the recommended maintenance at 40k miles
Interesting. Service manual and maintenance schedule says otherwise. ZF, who manufactures the transmission, says 60k. Not a bad thing to have done but maybe a bit early unless you are really driving the hell out of that thing.
      03-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #7
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
176k on trans/diff and haven’t touched the fluid. Shifts fine for me.

OP, is the car from a BMW dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #8
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
176k on trans/diff and haven’t touched the fluid. Shifts fine for me.
Same here - 118k and no plans to change these fluids at any point. No performance issues whatsoever. Some people just don't seem to grasp that systems and fluids have come a long way since the 20th century.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #9
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmohammed View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Highway robbery. You would pay half that at an independent shop. The transmission is the priciest at around $750 for all ZF parts and lifeguard fluid.
Appreciate 1
Wires1636.50
      03-07-2021, 06:21 AM   #10
2017F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330iX AT

Quote:
Interesting. Service manual and maintenance schedule says otherwise. ZF, who manufactures the transmission, says 60k. Not a bad thing to have done but maybe a bit early unless you are really driving the hell out of that thing.
I’ve decided the 100,000KM mark (62,500 miles) will be when I replace the ATF, differential and gear oils. Given the age of the fluid, temp changes, shorter daily drives, etc. it will be a comfortable mark all around.
Appreciate 2
njdangelo430.50
cfm56d7b5853.50
      03-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

The one thing I'd say about the aftermarket warranty is its gonna limit the mods you do for your car. It sounds like you want a fun reliable car and you initially will be happy with the performance but the mod bug will bite. These cars are so damn easy to tune and the aftermarket scene is pretty big.

So you really have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the car, it's gonna be a waste of money if you mod your car as they will most likely deny your claim once they find you've modded the car. The b58 has been fairly reliable, the only real known problem with them is the mysterious coolant losses. Most of these are due to coolant caps not sealing properly though.
      03-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #12
pakman340xi
Rep
Drives: 370z G37xS

I've never dealt with an aftermarket warranty company, but I wonder how thorough an aftermarket company would be to check if someone tuned their car?

If someone takes their car to a BMW dealer and the result is a blown turbo would the aftermarket company ask the BMW dealer to see if it's been tuned? Would the BMW dealer even share that information?

Last edited by pakman340xi; 03-07-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:50 PM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017F30 View Post
Quote:
I’ve decided the 100,000KM mark (62,500 miles) will be when I replace the ATF, differential and gear oils. Given the age of the fluid, temp changes, shorter daily drives, etc. it will be a comfortable mark all around.
ZF recommendation to change fluid at 60K is much more realistic, especially if the vehicle is driven frequently over short distances. Lifetime fluids? Well intentioned but unrealistic. If the owner had plans to keep their car for a long time, changing fluids is a an inexpensive insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #14
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

"Fuel injector service" is the technician putting a very expensive bottle of Techron into your fuel tank.

It's dealer service gravy money.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #15
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman340xi View Post
I've never dealt with an aftermarket warranty company, but I wonder how thorough an aftermarket company would be to check if someone tuned their car?

If someone takes their car to a BMW dealer and the result is a blown turbo would the aftermarket company ask the BMW dealer to see if it's been tuned? Would the BMW dealer even share that information?
I've had some experience with them with my old G37. The car had some kind of blown gasket and went into limp mode. Took it to the infiniti dealer who were approved by my warranty to do the work. It took a while for the dealer to get back to me, but I had a free loaner the entire time anyway so no biggie. Once they fixed the car the service advisor told me that the aftermarket warranty people had sent someone to the dealer to inspect the car because they suspected the gasket went out because of an oil starvation issue caused by chunked up oil due to not changing my oil often enough. They inspected the oil and did god knows what and they had no probable cause to think it was foul play. The experience kind of turned me off to aftermarket warranties, but at the same time that same situation saved me from an almost 3k bill. The warranty paid for itself and more just with that one claim.

FYI, The warranty for the Infiniti was a little over $1k through my credit union bank. I looked into one for the 340 I own and at the time they were asking for close to $5k....basically because it was a BMW...not worth it imo
      03-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
176k on trans/diff and haven't touched the fluid. Shifts fine for me.

OP, is the car from a BMW dealer?
Lol yep
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #17
khanmohammed
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Found a nice 340 with 40k miles on it, the factory warranty expires in March. If I get it, I'm definitely going to be doing a stage 2 BM3 FBO. I guess if I get the tune then the aftermarket warranty is useless right?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #18
trebec
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Same here - 118k and no plans to change these fluids at any point. No performance issues whatsoever. Some people just don't seem to grasp that systems and fluids have come a long way since the 20th century.
Yeah ZF doesn't know what they are talking about at all, they only built the transmission. I'll be sure to never ask you for advice, make sure you take your car to the dealer too, they also recommend that you don't change your oil yourself.
      03-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #19
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

ZF says 80-120,000km intervals for their 8HP transmission series.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebec View Post
Yeah ZF doesn't know what they are talking about at all, they only built the transmission. I'll be sure to never ask you for advice, make sure you take your car to the dealer too, they also recommend that you don't change your oil yourself.
Sure, knock yourself out. Your money, your car. I come here to learn and share my BMW ownership experiences along the way. If anyone wants to take that as "advice", it is up to them. Oh and I do go to the dealer for Value Service, it is excellent indeed

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)

Last edited by adhrp; 03-18-2021 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0