F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3 series sedan or 4 series GC?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #89
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Fix the wheel gap, the car will look significantly better.

Ze4eMCe's car looks amazing for example.
I can get 19's if I want to, would make the car look like his as we're sitting on identical suspensions.

My photos were taken on a grade sloping away from the camera with the sun pointing straight into the gap whereas his were taken on a driveway pointing downward with the sun shining straight down, it's creating a misperception of wheel gap which isn't bad on my car at all. When the weather turns and the grass is green I'll take some new shots at high noon on a flat surface, the gap won't look so unrealistic.

Stand next to a Gran Coupe and a Sedan and you won't notice the wheel gap; you'll be drooling over how low and wide and sporty the car looks. If the only downside, the only nit-pick between an F30 and an F36 is wheel gap, LOL, I'll take it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #90
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton View Post
I can get 19's if I want to, would make the car look like his as we're sitting on identical suspensions.

My photos were taken on a grade sloping away from the camera with the sun pointing straight into the gap whereas his were taken on a driveway pointing downward with the sun shining straight down, it's creating a misperception of wheel gap which isn't bad on my car at all. When the weather turns and the grass is green I'll take some new shots at high noon on a flat surface, the gap won't look so unrealistic.

Stand next to a Gran Coupe and a Sedan and you won't notice the wheel gap; you'll be drooling over how low and wide and sporty the car looks. If the only downside, the only nit-pick between an F30 and an F36 is wheel gap, LOL, I'll take it.
I can definitely notice it, it's one of the many reasons I personally didn't opt for xDrive in my F30 and went with the 19" wheels.

That said, not like the F36 looks awful with the small amount of wheel gap they can have right out of the factory, just saying eliminating the gap enhances the appearance greatly and that's true of any car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #91
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:

I have 18s on my M-Sport GC (RWD non-DHP) and they look good, wheel gap looks fine to me. I do think the 19s look better on the GCs but on the ones I tested the ride became quite a bit harsher whereas on 18s it feels perfect to me.

I am wondering if the DHP increases the ride height slightly. Anybody know for sure?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #92
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
I can definitely notice it, it's one of the many reasons I personally didn't opt for xDrive in my F30 and went with the 19" wheels.

That said, not like the F36 looks awful with the small amount of wheel gap they can have right out of the factory, just saying eliminating the gap enhances the appearance greatly and that's true of any car.

I spot that a mile away too. GC would be great if lower by about an inch and wider. X drive are worse.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #93
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

I guess since I didnt like the wheel gap on my GC I have to chime in here.
There is NO DOUBT that the wheel gap LOOKS worse (and by measurement) is probably more than on the F30 and FOR SURE on the F32- and is even worse with the Xdrive version.
Lowering the GC by even .5" would make it even cooler- no doubt. My brother has F32 and it is lower by that .5" and it is totally noticeable over my F36.

So with that above said here is what I did-
1> Ordered the 442 O Grays cuz those wheels are just the Fn tits. Nothing again Joe Walton (I like some of his posts- operative word some- but he is right the 4er will be, if it is not already a runaway hit for BMW - that's a lock and I am sure the design team are cashing their bonus checks) but the GC isnt the "Ultimate Driving Machine" until it has these wheels- hands down any color you have chosen, these wheels will make it look better in the M Sport option- Not necessarily the luxury or sport. but the 19's help some with the gap and these 19's IMO are one of the best BMW has ever made. I'm a 6 time BMW owner including a Z4M.

2> I couldn't lower it, or didn't want to with all the adaptive suspension and bullshit so I put the spacers on 10mm front 13 rear- could have maybe gone 15 in the rear but while the change is subtle it is very noticeable and makes the car look even wider than it is vis a vis the F30. And the visual cue with the wheels sticking out farther again minimize the gap without lowering it.

3> I have the front splitter put on (LOVE it and transforms the car) and since it hits the street on banked curves, I dont want the car lowered for this reason. The visual cue from the splitter makes the car LOOK lower when its really not. So with the spacers, 19s and splitter the car not only looks lowered- but looks really really nice with these add-ons.

4> That said an F30 lowered looks very cool- I know a few in San Antonio/Austin who have and I really like their rides. But the 4 GC just has a longer, sleeker profile so when one buys their 4 with the LUXURY spec- this thing looks very sleek and luxurious- and my M Sport with Splitter etc... looks long, lean and kinda gangsta actually- the Mineral gray reflects the light perfectly- any light and since BMW has some "organic" sheet metal sloping "bulges" on the sides- unlike Audi and Lexus for example that are "straight" down from window to bottom of the car- the light just dances off this thing- Wunderbar!

5> BMW loves this sparring back and forth over their cars! Means we give a shit.

6> Id probably buy an M3 over the M4 (and have it lowered!)

7> My car is NOT better than yours, its just better for me. Yours is better to your design style, checkbook and purpose for the car.

Last edited by ZilberGrau ZHP; 03-09-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #94
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Sure, less gap would be nice but I believe with DHP there's nothing I can do short of 19s and in the NYC area with the potholes and such it's probably not in the cards for me. I like the look of the 400M's too, so that comes into play as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #95
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Sure, less gap would be nice but I believe with DHP there's nothing I can do short of 19s and in the NYC area with the potholes and such it's probably not in the cards for me. I like the look of the 400M's too, so that comes into play as well.
FYI:
The road sucks in NY so that's the reason why you have DHP, DHP is a perfect option for those that lives in NY and wants to drop their car.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #96
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prissy View Post
FYI:
The road sucks in NY so that's the reason why you have DHP, DHP is a perfect option for those that lives in NY and wants to drop their car.
Understood, but I thought that 19s counter that effect and would not be a good idea here. I use my car for commuting 40 miles round trip from Northern NJ to Westchester and a few times a week through Manhattan too, was advised that 18s were the way to go. No?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #97
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Understood, but I thought that 19s counter that effect and would not be a good idea here. I use my car for commuting 40 miles round trip from Northern NJ to Westchester and a few times a week through Manhattan too, was advised that 18s were the way to go. No?
Roads aren't much better in DC either but the 19" ride fine, especially after ditching the run flats.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #98
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
I've been riding on 19s for 10+ years, of course I get bend wheels but you can also get bend wheels if you have 18s. Seems like you are all into the wide and low look, so in my opinion it's worth it to drop it and add some spacers.

19"s are considered small on F3X, to be perfect you'll need 20". 19"s are perfect for E9X tho.

Point is: 19"s on DHP cars are doable in NYC, because you have comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #99
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Roads aren't much better in DC either but the 19" ride fine, especially after ditching the run flats.
Quote:
I've been riding on 19s for 10+ years, of course I get bend wheels but you can also get bend wheels if you have 18s. Seems like you are all into the wide and low look, so in my opinion it's worth it to drop it and add some spacers.

19"s are considered small on F3X, to be perfect you'll need 20". 19"s are perfect for E9X tho.

Thanks gentlemen, I will consider this.

I use winter tires on 18s so running non-run flat summers on 19s the other 8 months is an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #100
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:

I use winter tires on 18s so running non-run flat summers on 19s the other 8 months is an option for me.
My 19's with summer tires, non run flat, rode equal or better than my 18" stock setup.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #101
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Quote:

It's what I plan to do. I'm in Manhattan/North NJ too.

I plan to wrap the Michelin PSS's around some 19" BBS wheels in a few weeks, and use my 400M 18" wheels with run flats as my winters.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #102
EBIINYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4GC

While were on the subject, can anyone find out how long the cargo area is in feet if you put the rear seats down on the F36?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:57 PM   #103
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
My 19's with summer tires, non run flat, rode equal or better than my 18" stock setup.
Thanks JV, I'm going to check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

I plan to wrap the Michelin PSS's around some 19" BBS wheels in a few weeks, and use my 400M 18" wheels with run flats as my winters.
Please report back when you get this done, I'd love to hear your POV. Do you have DHP?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:58 PM   #104
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_1080 View Post
While were on the subject, can anyone find out how long the cargo area is in feet if you put the rear seats down on the F36?
Sure, happy to help. You need me to measure from the back of the front seats to the end of the trunk, yes?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #105
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Thanks JV, I'm going to check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post

Please report back when you get this done, I'd love to hear your POV. Do you have DHP?
I do. I'll let you know how it goes.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:39 AM   #106
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:

Here is what the GC looks like with 18s and 19s
Attached Images

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #107
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Here is what the GC looks like with 18s and 19s
Thanks, CA

In those renderings the wheel gap looks the same, its just that the steel wheel fills up the well more with the 19s and the rubber tire fills up the well more with the 18s. Is that right?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #108
hawkerdriver
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjayenyce View Post
I sat in the 4 series for just a second and my head was hitting the tip of the car that disappointed me a little lol but I should have adjusted the seats to my height

I could care less about the trunk
for example the 3 gt I don't like the way it looks because of the hatch
the 4 series on the other hand,although it's a hatch it looks a whole lot sexier than the gt
I've been leaning toward the 4 series so far but would like some options before my final decision
I can assure you at 5'11" you are not too tall for the 4GC. Forum members well over six feet fit in it comfortably. The 4GC hatch was specifically designed to look like a traditional trunk lid. The 3GT was not designed to hide that it is a hatch.
I'm 6'2" and have no problems in the 4 GC.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #109
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Thanks, CA

In those renderings the wheel gap looks the same, its just that the steel wheel fills up the well more with the 19s and the rubber tire fills up the well more with the 18s. Is that right?
The wheel gap appears to be the same as I believe the outside diameter of the tires is the same for the 18s and 19s. The 19s have less sidewall which will equate to a harsher ride and being more prone to wheel and tire damage.

After my "Pothole Explosions" Odyssey I went for 18s on the M4.
Quite frankly I don't get this whole "Wheel Gap" obsession.
Attached Images

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #110
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The wheel gap appears to be the same as I believe the outside diameter of the tires is the same for the 18s and 19s. The 19s have less sidewall which will equate to a harsher ride and being more prone to wheel and tire damage.

After my "Pothole Explosions" Odyssey I went for 18s on the M4.
Quite frankly I don't get this whole "Wheel Gap" obsession.
Thought so.

The wheel gap doesn't bother me at all but the 335i peer pressure is enormous so I'm compelled to fix it anyway. Let me ask you, if I put several layers of plasti-dip on each tire, will that do the trick?
Appreciate 0