F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Towbar witter or westfalia
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #67
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
Hi, new to this forum so I hope this reply is correct!
Looking at Davetwilliams post I was wondering if Dave or anyone have the part number for the replacement heat shield.
I contacted my local BMW dealer, he didn’t know, contacted a previous London BMW dearer I ordered parts from, oh it’s company policy not to give out part number they replied.
So I have contacted BMW customer service, no reply as of yet. I hate BMW dealers and their rude arrogant staff that work there, all they want is sales, no after care what so ever. I had the pleasure of paying £200 for a car wash, as they failed to do this things I asked them to do, it was caught on my dash cam that was left on the windshield! Anyhow before my blood pressure goes up, back to the subject of this heat shield! If anyone could help please! Thanks
What car do you have? Need the part no used with a towbar or without?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #68
Millsie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.s. View Post
What car do you have? Need the part no used with a towbar or without?
Hi, 2018 320i saloon F30, process of ordering a Westfalia removable tow bar, the heat shield bracket was out of stock, so waiting for that to come back into stock before dispatch tow bar. Westfalia do not state the the item code, they do for the 1 series!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:20 AM   #69
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Hi, 2018 320i saloon F30, process of ordering a Westfalia removable tow bar, the heat shield bracket was out of stock, so waiting for that to come back into stock before dispatch tow bar. Westfalia do not state the the item code, they do for the 1 series!
The one I linked earlier

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=51487325309

says

Part 51487325309 was found on the following vehicles:
3' F30 LCI   (10/2014 — 10/2018)

so I believe it should fit your 2018 F30
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #70
Millsie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.s. View Post
The one I linked earlier

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...&q=51487325309

says

Part 51487325309 was found on the following vehicles:
3' F30 LCI   (10/2014 — 10/2018)

so I believe it should fit your 2018 F30
Hi, ok thanks, I see the two part numbers, one with hitch and one without hitch! I will see what the dealer says now!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 03:39 AM   #71
Davetwilliams
Rep
Drives: 340i touring

Hi - just found my original invoice. Sorry if this is a little late but I can confirm the part number I ordered and worked for my 340i touring with the Westfalia is B51487325309 description is 11567/INSU.MUFF. (for the heat shield that goes with the Towbar fitted).
Appreciate 1
j.s.48.50
      05-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #72
timallen
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Quote:
Hi, ok thanks, I see the two part numbers, one with hitch and one without hitch! I will see what the dealer says now!
I ordered part 51487325309 for my petrol F31. BMW dealer wasn't aware of part but independent and PF Jones helped me track it down.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #73
deindzis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xdrive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Have now fitted the Westfalia towbar, all the mechanical stuff fits perfectly, but the heatshield round the silencer had to be adjusted. It might only be the 340i that has this heatshield that goes over the top of the silencer and down to attach behind the bumper?

Electrics are a different subject, the PFJones car-specific wiring kit is absolutely horrible, am only halfway through fitting it, but its all 'snap lock' splicing and double sided stick tape.
Hi Do you have a picture with the Westfalia tow bar fitted on the M performance bumper? Thinking of purchasing one now...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 02:19 AM   #74
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Competition Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deindzis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Have now fitted the Westfalia towbar, all the mechanical stuff fits perfectly, but the heatshield round the silencer had to be adjusted. It might only be the 340i that has this heatshield that goes over the top of the silencer and down to attach behind the bumper?

Electrics are a different subject, the PFJones car-specific wiring kit is absolutely horrible, am only halfway through fitting it, but its all 'snap lock' splicing and double sided stick tape.
Hi Do you have a picture with the Westfalia tow bar fitted on the M performance bumper? Thinking of purchasing one now...
Hope this helps, my tow fitted With m performance exhaust and rear diffuser
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tengocity8566.00
      04-20-2020, 02:12 AM   #75
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_340i View Post
Hope this helps, my tow fitted With m performance exhaust and rear diffuser
Hi Chris, I've got a F31 340i with Rear diffuser and the MPPSK also, so very interested to understand exactly what your set up is?... lost track reading through the whole thread!

Westfalia? Who fitted and how much? Do the electrics work ok? I'd be using for carrying bikes, but possibly a small car trailer in future.

What did you eventually do about the heat shield?

Thanks
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #76
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Hi Chris, I've got a F31 340i with Rear diffuser and the MPPSK also, so very interested to understand exactly what your set up is?... lost track reading through the whole thread!

Westfalia? Who fitted and how much? Do the electrics work ok? I'd be using for carrying bikes, but possibly a small car trailer in future.

What did you eventually do about the heat shield?

Thanks
Hi, actually my tow bar is a witter. The tow bar was transferred off my dads F31 to mine. The electrics kit was from Trident Towing in Maidstone. My brother in law is a mechanic and fitted it all for me.

Re the heat shield, had to take the very last bit off at the back due there being very little space considering the MPPSK back box size and the space taken up by the tow bar crash bar unit. However that being said I have towed regularly my caravan last year and not had any problems with heat from the lack of back section of the heat shield. It is only a small bit that curves down to protect the bumper. Nothing has so far melted and I have checked temperature of the boot after a long tow and it wasn't even hot. So I am not bothered by the loss of the heat shield.
Appreciate 1
Tengocity8566.00
      04-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #77
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi, actually my tow bar is a witter. The tow bar was transferred off my dads F31 to mine. The electrics kit was from Trident Towing in Maidstone. My brother in law is a mechanic and fitted it all for me.

Re the heat shield, had to take the very last bit off at the back due there being very little space considering the MPPSK back box size and the space taken up by the tow bar crash bar unit. However that being said I have towed regularly my caravan last year and not had any problems with heat from the lack of back section of the heat shield. It is only a small bit that curves down to protect the bumper. Nothing has so far melted and I have checked temperature of the boot after a long tow and it wasn't even hot. So I am not bothered by the loss of the heat shield.
Ok thanks, got it noted.. .get a Witter, get this towing kit, and some professional fitting, and all should be good! What about the cars systems, does it adjust for it? Any coding required?

Any chance of a picture without the towbar in place?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #78
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Ok thanks, got it noted.. .get a Witter, get this towing kit, and some professional fitting, and all should be good! What about the cars systems, does it adjust for it? Any coding required?

No coding needed and all the car systems work as normal.

If you have an auto whilst towing it won't change up to 8th gear. Not quite sure why.

Here is a photo without tow bar:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Tengocity8566.00
      04-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #79
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you have an auto whilst towing it won't change up to 8th gear. Not quite sure why.

Awesome, thank you.

Car looks great! What colour is it... Tanzanite?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #80
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Awesome, thank you.

Car looks great! What colour is it... Tanzanite?
Yep Tanzanite Blue

Good luck with your tow bar.
Appreciate 0