F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i Recall - ECU software
GetBMWParts

01-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #23
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

From experience of BMW installing a software update without my permission and the problems that it caused (loss of power; reduced fuel economy) there's no way I'd be knowingly letting them apply an update unless they declared exactly what was going to be updated and precisely what effects it would have.

Daftasabrush's 340i was updated last year and he noticed a drop in power which was verified at the Surrey Rolling Road Dyno day - something like a 20bhp loss.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      01-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Updates are being performed automatically every time the vehicle is serviced...
No way to avoid it.
A description of the update is already provided (see link).
      01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #25
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
No way to avoid it.
There's a really easy way to avoid it - make it clear, including in writing, that you do not give consent to BMW carrying out any software updates. Unless refusal would be warranty-voiding or an official safety recall you are within your rights to not authorise BMW to access the software oil the car.

My dealer and I are very clear about this. It's my property, not theirs.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      01-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #26
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Wonder how that works on pcp'd cars, where by all accounts its not your property ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #27
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Wonder how that works on pcp'd cars, where by all accounts its not your property ?
Good question. Unless you are the legal owner I doubt you could object to these updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:20 AM   #28
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Just as a follow up.

Had this update done yesterday whilst the car was in for a service and there is no detectable impact on performance as a result.

It did however lose the usual random selection of some settings (presets buttons, seat memory positions) but not others (sound settings, HUD settings). Also seems to have cleared my Bimmercoding of ASS off etc so I'll have to redo those.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      02-06-2019, 02:44 AM   #29
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Is this a general B58 update? What's its purpose? What production date range does it apply to?
I've checked my reg number on the DVLA recall web page and it's -ve
      02-06-2019, 02:59 AM   #30
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Is this a general B58 update? What's its purpose? What production date range does it apply to?
I phoned BMW Assist up at the weekend for a none related issue and they said my car built feb 18 and that's not on the recall list so don't think it's every car.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2019, 04:10 AM   #31
CF-F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M-SPORT

i think its all to do with emisions
they are worried since VW got caught out.
had an update on mine then got less miles per gallon whats that about :
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Not a 340i but I've just had mine flashed to the latest ISTA level and the economy has suffered.
      02-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #33
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
No way to avoid it.
There's a really easy way to avoid it - make it clear, including in writing, that you do not give consent to BMW carrying out any software updates. Unless refusal would be warranty-voiding or an official safety recall you are within your rights to not authorise BMW to access the software oil the car.

I'd imagine BMW would say you've invalidated the warranty by not allowing them to carry out updates.

It's probably in the small print somewhere.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      02-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #34
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
Won’t be on the DVLA website as they only show safety recalls and this isn’t a safety recall
      02-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #35
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Just as a follow up.

Had this update done yesterday whilst the car was in for a service and there is no detectable impact on performance as a result.

It did however lose the usual random selection of some settings (presets buttons, seat memory positions) but not others (sound settings, HUD settings). Also seems to have cleared my Bimmercoding of ASS off etc so I'll have to redo those.
Thanks for the input - good to hear. I have been told by the service department that it will 100% have no detrimental effect on the performance and will not over-write the MPPSK remap.
I’ve been back and forth with BMW customer services - who are just useless and don’t appear to actually read the email you send - and they cannot provide any detailed information either - only that it’s a “quality enhancement” and that it isn’t compulsory.

I imagine it’s either done now, or they’ll just do it when it’s in for its service anyway. Just really bloody annoying that no one can/will tell you exactly what parameters are being changed, to what effect and why!!

I’m fully expecting a loss of the pops and bangs (or at least a reduction), as per the latter MPPSK maps - to be honest, that probably won’t be too bad a thing! - Now the car’s got a few miles on and some crap in the exhaust, it pops, bangs and explodes all over the place in sport mode, which is all fun, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I just want to be in sport mode for the throttle response and Exhaust note, without all the added drama!!
      02-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #36
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I contacted BMW UK customer services to check whether my car needed an update and they confirmed that it needs "one outstanding quality enhancement to program control units"

F**k knows what that means exactly. Ive written back and asked for details

In the meantime, I'll ask the head of service at one dealership who I trust and share if he comes back with anything useful. Definitely DONT want a reduction in power or exhaust sound
      02-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #37
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No way to avoid it.
Can you share the link - thx
      02-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #38
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

440xi software update https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1574409
      02-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #39
Pizzaeatingking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Thanks for the input - good to hear. I have been told by the service department that it will 100% have no detrimental effect on the performance and will not over-write the MPPSK remap.
I’ve been back and forth with BMW customer services - who are just useless and don’t appear to actually read the email you send - and they cannot provide any detailed information either - only that it’s a “quality enhancement” and that it isn’t compulsory.

I imagine it’s either done now, or they’ll just do it when it’s in for its service anyway. Just really bloody annoying that no one can/will tell you exactly what parameters are being changed, to what effect and why!!

I’m fully expecting a loss of the pops and bangs (or at least a reduction), as per the latter MPPSK maps - to be honest, that probably won’t be too bad a thing! - Now the car’s got a few miles on and some crap in the exhaust, it pops, bangs and explodes all over the place in sport mode, which is all fun, don’t get me wrong, but sometimes I just want to be in sport mode for the throttle response and Exhaust note, without all the added drama!!
My MPPSK wasn't fitted till November last year so I supposedly have the 'quieter' map and it still makes lots of noise, pops, bangs and gun shots if provoked so I wouldn't be too worried tbh.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #40
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Just as a follow up.

Mine went in for a replacement adaptive headlight a few weeks ago. The service guy said no mention about software updates but the headlight will need coding again.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:32 AM   #41
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

My local dealer (small outfit) doesn't think I need an update and BMK UK customer services tell me I do - wtf!?
My 440i was manufactured end Nov 17. MPPSK was installed June 18

I think I'll give Coopers Reading a call next week. They usually seem to know what they're talking about
      02-09-2019, 05:18 AM   #42
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBitz View Post
Quote:
Just as a follow up.

Mine went in for a replacement adaptive headlight a few weeks ago. The service guy said no mention about software updates but the headlight will need coding again.
Strange. I thought ours came around the same time (October 2017).
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:07 AM   #43
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Email response from my trusted service guy. I'll wait until my next service is due...

Your car is due the recall to programme the engine control unit (DME). I can't really provide much more info than that because there isn't much! Our guidelines state the following,
'This function (programme) should protect components in case the engine is run at high speed for too long when stationary'. It's not a safety recall so it's not an urgent thing.

EDIT: Just exchanged a few more emails and he confirmed that the update also contains code to reduce the sound of the MPPSK exhaust in Sport mode, if MPPSK is found to be installed on the car, following the introduction of new (EU? Germany?) regulations on sound pollution in Q3 last year. No change to sound level in Comfort and no impact on power. The reduction of sound in Sport mode is achieved via control of the valve flaps.

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 02-11-2019 at 04:47 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #44
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Email response from my trusted service guy. I'll wait until my next service is due...

Your car is due the recall to programme the engine control unit (DME). I can't really provide much more info than that because there isn't much! Our guidelines state the following,
'This function (programme) should protect components in case the engine is run at high speed for too long when stationary'. It's not a safety recall so it's not an urgent thing.

EDIT: Just exchanged a few more emails and he confirmed that the update also contains code to reduce the sound of the MPPSK exhaust in Sport mode, if MPPSK is found to be installed on the car, following the introduction of new (EU? Germany?) regulations on sound pollution in Q3 last year. No change to sound level in Comfort and no impact on power. The reduction of sound in Sport mode is achieved via control of the valve flaps.
So means the valves will probably stay closed until high revs, if at all, making it 'feel' like whats the point in having the MPPSK over the MPE
I know you get a remap, but in everyday life, that doesn't matter.