F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Serious paint defects 4000 miles in.
GetBMWParts

05-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Serious paint defects 4000 miles in.

So my car hit the 4000 mile mark and unfortunately my five month inspection revealed some serious concerns with the paint.

I have two large parts of the bonnet edge closest to the wipers where paint is totally coming away.

There is damage also starting to show on two of the bits on the roof that I assume push in to take a bike carrier?

Also there are a few stone chips where the paint looks to have come away really more than I would expect.

Car is December 2018 and has been looked after very well including wax protection and two full valets by a very well regarded detailer in the winter and spring.

I know bmw must have a paint warranty... 36 months rings a bell. Does anybody have any experience with getting this rectified? I have BSM touch up paint but this clearly needs a proper look at by professionals?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
Looks like the bonnet damage is from lifting the wipers not in accordance with the manual?
Pequin230.00
1 AKY459.00
t5pilot977.50
SynTom48.00
      05-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethbridge View Post
Looks like the bonnet damage is from lifting the wipers not in accordance with the manual?
How can you lift wipers incorrectly? And how could they do that much damage.

It had a wheel replaced two weeks ago and was washed at bmw so if anyone did it, it was them.

Doesn't explain the same defects occurring elsewhere either.

Not arguing your point, just saying what I think i am seeing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Get the car back to them, they will take you seriously and hopefully sort it out.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
You need to turn ignition on, then off and then hold wiper stick down for about 5 seconds. This’ll put the wipers into a service (verticle) position so you can lift them away from the windscreen without damaging the bonnet
      05-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #6
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Quote:
You need to turn ignition on, then off and then hold wiper stick down for about 5 seconds. This'll put the wipers into a service (verticle) position so you can lift them away from the windscreen without damaging the bonnet
Thank you but why would they be in the incorrect position anyways? Its raining up here and they've been working fine unless I am misunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Quote:
You need to turn ignition on, then off and then hold wiper stick down for about 5 seconds. This'll put the wipers into a service (verticle) position so you can lift them away from the windscreen without damaging the bonnet
Thank you but why would they be in the incorrect position anyways? Its raining up here and they've been working fine unless I am misunderstanding.
To be able to lift the wipers you must first put them in the service position.

As above, ignition on, ignition off, hold the wiper control stalk until they stop in the vertices position. Then they can be safely lifted for cleaning or replacement.

It's a clart but you can only safely lift them in this position. Check out the online manual on you iDrive.
Pequin230.00
      05-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Watch this:
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

If this is the case then it's BMW who have f'd my paint. They were the last people to wash it and it wasn't there beforehand.

Its still concerning that there is paint damage in other areas as well. I'll take it to them and see what they say. I didn't want the bloody thing washed by them in the first place but they did it despite my request.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

The bonnet edge damage is 100% due the wipers being lifted to wipe/wash the windscreen. I've done this myself on my previous F30. It's very easy to damage. It's very annoying but the safest way is to put the wipers in the fold-up position as explained above. No carwash will do this obviously, they'll just pull the wipers away.

Stone chips are going to be debate-able. You can get stone chips the minute you drive away from the dealer in a new car. Unfortunately the only way to protect (to a certain extent obviously) is PPF.

Not sure about the roof rack mounting points area. Anyway, good luck with the dealer, I'm genuinely curious what their response will be.
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII

Last edited by N44RTT; 05-18-2019 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
      05-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I seem to recall them telling me there's only a 12 month warranty on paint, but they could be wrong
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

From what I can gather BMW are very difficult to deal with on paint warranty claims, I have an outstanding claim with them at the moment as some of my lacquer is cracking/crazing in two places.

Normally my dealer is great with warranty work, things get replaced and signed off there and then but it has been 4 weeks and it's still with BMW, generally the dealer will assess the broken part and give you an answer within minutes but with paint they have to send it on to Germany or perhaps UK BMW and it's a ball ache.

Good luck with yours as well.
      05-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nart View Post
The bonnet edge damage is 100% due the wipers being lifted to wipe/wash the windscreen. I've done this myself on my previous F30. It's very easy to damage. It's very annoying but the safest way is to put the wipers in the fold-up position as explained above. No carwash will do this obviously, they'll just pull the wipers away in their regular position.

Stone chips are going to be debate-able. You can get stone chips the minute you drive away from the dealer in a new car. Unfortunately the only way to protect (to a certain extent obviously) is PPF.

Not sure about the roof rack mounting points area. Anyway, good luck with the dealer, I'm genuinely curious what they're response will be.
Yup it's looking like it is from the wipers. They had the car two and a bit weeks ago to change a tyre and when I got to it they'd washed it.

As for the stone chips, the car was PPF'd but I was ib the Highlands and accept things can happen. The paint coming away on top at the mounting points is unacceptable. Never touched them and never mounted a thing
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #14
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Some parts of bonnet edge look like dried polish.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #15
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Have a good look at the wiper arms and see if they are scratched/marked as well where they would make contact with the bonnet if not raised correctly.
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
      05-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #16
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I'm with the BMW hired hands not knowing how to put the wipers into service mode and being the likely cause of the damage.

I had the paint start to flake on the roof rack plastic inserts on my F30 328i and the local dealer sorted it under warranty without any quibbles.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      05-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #17
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
I'm with the BMW hired hands not knowing how to put the wipers into service mode and being the likely cause of the damage.

I had the paint start to flake on the roof rack plastic inserts on my F30 328i and the local dealer sorted it under warranty without any quibbles.
I had precisely the same damage to my bonnet edge after mine went in for some work, this is why I tell them NOT TO WASH my cay, along with swirls, scratches and general destruction of the paintwork. They resolved mine with no argument.
      05-19-2019, 06:04 AM   #18
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

I had precisely the same damage to my bonnet edge after mine went in for some work, this is why I tell them NOT TO WASH my cay, along with swirls, scratches and general destruction of the paintwork. They resolved mine with no argument.
I've just noticed I've got some bad swirls on a patch of my bonnet. I'm raging.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #19
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
To quote the conversation that I had with the service advisor:

Me - "Please, please do not wash my car, I have a ceramic coating on there and it has had a stage 1 polish and therefore is scratch free"

Them - "It is hard to get the wash bay not to wash cars, I will do my best but I cannot promise anything"

Me - "I have printed off 2 DO NOT WASH signs in bold large font and in red"

Them - It probably won't make any difference, believe me"

Me - "Well, as it says on the GTecniq mirror tag that I have in the car - You may have to pay for rectification work"

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
      05-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #20
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Me - "Please, please do not wash my car, I have a ceramic coating on there and it has had a stage 1 polish and therefore is scratch free"

Them - "It is hard to get the wash bay not to wash cars, I will do my best but I cannot promise anything"

Me - "Well, as it says on the GTecniq mirror tag that I have in the car - You may have to pay for rectification work"

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
My car had a twelve month wax coating and a stage one polish recently. It looks like shit now that I've had a good look.

I'm convinced this is bmw but how the hell I prove it I don't know. They had the car two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #21
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
My car had a twelve month wax coating and a stage one polish recently. It looks like shit now that I've had a good look.

I'm convinced this is bmw but how the hell I prove it I don't know. They had the car two weeks ago.
Did you do it? If not, I'm sure your detailer would happily write a letter.
      05-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #22
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.

Did you do it? If not, I'm sure your retailer would happily write a letter.
No what I mean is the work was fine and a couple of months ago. It seems to be since bmw got hold of it they've caused issues.

I'm more bothered right now by the bonnet edge damage from blades but will show them it all tomorrow
Appreciate 0