F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > is it totaled??
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi

is it totaled??

Welp my heart has officially broke today... This past Wednesday I was severely rear ended by a distracted driver and I'm pretty sure my 328 msport package is done for... man did I love this car. I've been in the process of converting it to look more lci model/M3ish but keeping it tame. I'm no poser and did not want a M3. I wanted my 328 sulev n26 with my personality and that's exactly what I created. Ive put so much $$, work and love into it to become my dream car and everyone noticed, I have gotten so many complements on her over the last 3 years and she was just so perfect to me.... very sad sad week

the lady claims that she sneezed and her eye glasses fell off her face from sneezing. I do not buy this excuse and I'm pretty sure she was texting and driving. I have video footage that is being posted and aftermath pics of the damage but need advice on if I should be shopping for a new car or planning to get my baby back.

Let me start this car show by showing the good then the ugly...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Tough to say from pictures. It's up to the insurance adjuster to see what they quote for the damage. Did you get their insurance information and take it to the body shop yet?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I have police reports and insurance claim numbers everything for info I need. but it's still at the tow yard since Wednesday. they said they can't release it until insurance or someone pays the fees which to me is bullsh**. I'm not coming out of pocket for any of this and want to get it resolved asap. I feel like the insurance companies are being lazy and dragging ass
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #4
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Tow yard? Was the car undrivable after?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Can't tell if it is totaled but doesn't look that bad. Obviously broken axels or other mechanical issues can't be seen. Just keep in mind that all the time, money and effort you put in won't be compensated for by the insurance and that is what really sucks about this. Good luck with this drama.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:52 PM   #6
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post
Tow yard? Was the car undrivable after?
yes car would not start afterwards. I'm guessing the bst sensor broke
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
Can't tell if it is totaled but doesn't look that bad. Obviously broken axels or other mechanical issues can't be seen. Just keep in mind that all the time, money and effort you put in won't be compensated for by the insurance and that is what really sucks about this. Good luck with this drama.
wow I hope that isn't so... I've put thousands of dollars in parts over the years and got all my receipts for them.. hopefully I can get compensated for them somehow by sueing or something? .. I've never been through a accident like this with this much money involved. I went and got a attorney but everyone is dragging ass until Monday and I'm just here waiting
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiEaterF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
wow I hope that isn't so... I've put thousands of dollars in parts over the years and got all my receipts for them.. hopefully I can get compensated for them somehow by sueing or something? .. I've never been through a accident like this with this much money involved. I went and got a attorney but everyone is dragging ass until Monday and I'm just here waiting
Unfortunately that's not how it works. Even your own insurance won't cover aftermarket mods or parts. If you want it covered you have to call them and tell them the price of it and have them add it to your coverage. Then they just bump up your cost so it ends up not making sense to cover the mods. An insurance isn't in business by losing money. From the pics you posted (albeit they are very grainy on my phone right now. It looks like they were taken with a calculator. Not sure what's causing that) I don't think they will total your car. It's old enough that they are allowed to use salvage body panels and parts so the cost won't be as high as you think. Additionally, I would pony up the cost of that tow yard and get it to a trusted body shop/mechanic to start assessing damage. You'll get your money back. You were rear ended, it's their fault. If her glasses fell off it, it's her fault she didn't invest in something to keep them in place while driving. That's her problem, not yours.
The "why" doesn't matter in this situation so don't worry about it.
      11-27-2021, 09:14 PM   #9
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ah man don't say that i hope the don't throw salvage yard parts at it and butcher it then give it back.... yicks. I'm deff going to make sure it's all new oem parts!

I'm bringing it to a bmw certified auto body shop that I work closely with and know the manager so that helps atleast. hopefully I'll find out more on Monday. it's just bull that I am still without a vehicle almost a week later seeing as this was my only running vehicle at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah man don't say that i hope the don't throw salvage yard parts at it and butcher it then give it back.... yicks. I'm deff going to make sure it's all new oem parts!

I'm bringing it to a bmw certified auto body shop that I work closely with and know the manager so that helps atleast. hopefully I'll find out more on Monday. it's just bull that I am still without a vehicle almost a week later seeing as this was my only running vehicle at the moment.
They're not going to throw salvage parts on your vehicle. You can pick which shop you'd like to have work on your car. I know some insurance will not pay for OE bumpers but will pay for other oe parts like tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #11
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

ok that makes me feel a little better.. I'm just feeling some mixed emotions about the whole thing... of course I would take her back if I could she's always been a good ride lol.. but at the same time once she's been smashed my another it's never the same
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Glad you’re ok OP. Maybe I missed it but year/miles of your car? How fast can you guesstimate she hit you? If anything you can buy the car back if they declare it a total loss.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Glad you're ok OP. Maybe I missed it but year/miles of your car? How fast can you guesstimate she hit you? If anything you can buy the car back if they declare it a total loss.
2015 328xi with roughly 85,000. she hit me going I'd say 35-40mph and I was stopped with my turn signal and brake lights on.

I was thinking about that too. buying it back to transfer my parts onto another f30. but at the same time I just had a baby 4 months ago and thinking bigger vehicle... idk I really don't want to deal with buying a new car and starting all over.. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something back from all this.. the car is valued at 17-18k on kbb and that's pretty much what I owe left on it so I'm worried I'll just brake even and get screwed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #14
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Glad you're ok OP. Maybe I missed it but year/miles of your car? How fast can you guesstimate she hit you? If anything you can buy the car back if they declare it a total loss.
2015 328xi with roughly 85,000. she hit me going I'd say 35-40mph and I was stopped with my turn signal and brake lights on.

I was thinking about that too. buying it back to transfer my parts onto another f30. but at the same time I just had a baby 4 months ago and thinking bigger vehicle... idk I really don't want to deal with buying a new car and starting all over.. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something back from all this.. the car is valued at 17-18k on kbb and that's pretty much what I owe left on it so I'm worried I'll just brake even and get screwed
This won't help you now but in the future, add OEM replacement to your insurance premiums. It's really only a few dollars extra but that way, you are guaranteed OEM parts.

And insurance adjusters are running really behind right now. If the shop is BMW certified, the insurance company may allow the shop adjuster to estimate a claim. Maybe see if that's possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:47 PM   #15
Emerson335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
FWIW- my '15 335xi was hit ~2 years ago only 3 months after buying it as a CPO. State Farm replaced everything with genuine BMW parts, and I chose to use an independent body shop instead of a BMW dealer/certified location.

I was surprised that mine was not totaled. In my case the car was valued at ~$28k at the time of the accident (only 30k miles), and State Farm put ~$18k into repairs (although the initial estimate was only $11-12k). My damage appears worse than yours (based on the pics you shared), if that helps you feel any better on the potential of repairing. I believe the general rule of thumb is insurance companies will put ~80% of the vehicle's value into repairs before they will total it. The current used car market should help the argument to repair yours.

Best of luck, I hope you get good news this week…not a fun situation to deal with.

P.S. I've included 2 pics of my car's damage if it helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:48 AM   #16
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

1. What did you take the pics with, a potato or an old Nokia brick phone?

2. Getting peoples opinions won't help your insurance company determine for value/scrap of your car, you won't be able to argue and say "well let me present random person xx's convincing forum post".

3. Spelling. Wow.
Appreciate 1
Wires1657.50
      11-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Short answer: It's totaled when your insurance company says it's totaled.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #18
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarium81 View Post
1. What did you take the pics with, a potato or an old Nokia brick phone?

2. Getting peoples opinions won't help your insurance company determine for value/scrap of your car, you won't be able to argue and say "well let me present random person xx's convincing forum post".

3. Spelling. Wow.
Why are you hating? Cut the man some slack, he just had his baby wrecked. No need to kick a man while he's down.

@OP That's some serious flame design on the rear. Totalled or not depends on many factors and it's difficult to judge just by these pics. Sorry for your loss man.
Appreciate 2
ajob462.00
BimR245.00
      11-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #19
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post
FWIW- my '15 335xi was hit ~2 years ago only 3 months after buying it as a CPO. State Farm replaced everything with genuine BMW parts, and I chose to use an independent body shop instead of a BMW dealer/certified location.

I was surprised that mine was not totaled. In my case the car was valued at ~$28k at the time of the accident (only 30k miles), and State Farm put ~$18k into repairs (although the initial estimate was only $11-12k). My damage appears worse than yours (based on the pics you shared), if that helps you feel any better on the potential of repairing. I believe the general rule of thumb is insurance companies will put ~80% of the vehicle's value into repairs before they will total it. The current used car market should help the argument to repair yours.

Best of luck, I hope you get good news this week…not a fun situation to deal with.

Daaayummmm somebody call the amber lamps!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:17 PM   #20
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson335 View Post

I am amazed that car was not a total loss. Sorry for your situation. Looked very bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #21
ctdriver320i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Welp my heart has officially broke today... This past Wednesday I was severely rear ended by a distracted driver and I'm pretty sure my 328 msport package is done for... man did I love this car.

Let me start this car show by showing the good then the ugly...
I was thinking it could be a total loss with 85k on a 15 due to the creased rear quarter and other parts. Sorry for your situation. I hope this can be resolved for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #22
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

I actually took them with last year's Motorola Moto g stylus. if u must know, I know it's a metro pcs phone but it boast a 64 mb camera... idk what happened with the picture quality. it must be from uploading them to this site. I was actually looking for ppl with similar wrecks to not use there word as testimony but to compare outcomes.... but I get some drunk dude that has too much time and can't read right. but go ahead and drink that hater-ade bro.

and 1 more thing do u need new glasses to? bc where do u see spelling errors in any of my posts?? --- stupid ass people these days
Appreciate 0