F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine death 2014 435i M Sport
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #23
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare.
I've seen it. Guy had his Pontiac towed into the shop, the mechanic dropped the pan, and there was some four or five inches of congealed goo in the pan. It turned out the car had over 100k on it, the oil and filter had never been changed, and this was back in the days of mineral oil. That's how badly a car must be treated for sludge to cause the engine to seize.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      07-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Dang that sucks. Only a 2014 to...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #25
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

With synthetic oil, the oil cannot break down to create what is commonly called engine sludge. I believe making sludge starts out by making an emulsion of an oil-type product and water-based things like condensation. (The process is similar to making mayonnaise.) The emulsion traps debris and creates the goo. Synthetic oil doesn't do that.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Something is seriously amiss in this diagnosis. If the normal oil and filters changes were done, there is absolutely no friggin way there was a "sludge" build up of any magnitude- probably none. I've got 101,290 when I pulled the pan recently- nada, zilch, zippo.

I wonder exactly what the service department is calling "sludge"? Is it full of metal filings, etc. You need to find out/get another opinion.
This smells.
Appreciate 1
BillD1953234.50
      07-21-2018, 09:14 PM   #27
turo329
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sportline

If you are in Atlanta and looking for a good independent then I recommend Harrison Motorsport in Alpharetta. Shop has been there 15+ years. The run the local BMWCCA and do a good bit of racing themselves. https://www.harrisonmotorsports.com
Sludge at 25k seems unusual. I would get a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 07:07 AM   #28
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
With synthetic oil, the oil cannot break down to create what is commonly called engine sludge. I believe making sludge starts out by making an emulsion of an oil-type product and water-based things like condensation. (The process is similar to making mayonnaise.) The emulsion traps debris and creates the goo. Synthetic oil doesn't do that.
This is factually incorrect. Synthetic oil breaks down and sludges too-be mindful of the fact that there are varying degrees of quality in synthetic oil. Also one thing to keep in mind is that mileage is merely a standard by which we track usage in a vehicle and isn't a true measure of use of said vehicle. Sitting in traffic for long periods of time in metro areas doesn't increase the mileage but the vehicle still is running for longer periods of time thus adding to the breakdown of oil at a different rate than traveling at highway speeds. Ive seen plenty of sludge in engines with less miles than anyone would think so I wouldn't rule out that it added to the internal engine issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #29
kikcaffine
Private
Rep
Drives: 1m

Wonder if you snapped a cam...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #30
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
This is factually incorrect. Synthetic oil breaks down and sludges too-be mindful of the fact that there are varying degrees of quality in synthetic oil. Also one thing to keep in mind is that mileage is merely a standard by which we track usage in a vehicle and isn't a true measure of use of said vehicle. Sitting in traffic for long periods of time in metro areas doesn't increase the mileage but the vehicle still is running for longer periods of time thus adding to the breakdown of oil at a different rate than traveling at highway speeds. Ive seen plenty of sludge in engines with less miles than anyone would think so I wouldn't rule out that it added to the internal engine issues.
That's why I think there should be engine run time counters as well as lifetime fuel consumption counters in all cars. Fuel consumption counters would show how hard the car was driven relative to the number of miles on the odometer. The engine run time would show if the car was idled excessively.

It is obviously easily implemented, but I suppose there is little reason for manufacturers to put in a feature that would contribute even more to depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:22 AM   #31
Jpaul435
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Coupe RWD 8 spee

N55 Locked up at 187k miles similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.draper View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I recently changed my oil cooler about a month ago due to a freak accident. Caused oil to leak. Changed the part out, took it to the nearest BMW to make sure it was ok. Had an oil change, car was fine. About a week and a half later. Driving on the highway. Did a short acceleration to get around a vehicle to exit the freeway. Soon as I come around, the RPMs shot up high, warning message comes on to say Drivetrain malfunction, car immediately goes into neutral. Had to coast it on the shoulder.. had the car towed to BMW and they say the engine locked up, 25k in repairs. Currently waiting on full diagnostic to come back so I can see what exactly is wrong.
Quote:
TBD. BMW said they don't know where or what caused it.. so I'm pushing them to really give me a detailed answer
Quote:
So BMW said that the engine seized due to sludge.. I'm no fool and I know a N55 engine doesn't develop sludge at 68k miles. Especially with routine oil changes
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare. Sludge takes quite a while to build up and even then, you'll probably have increased oil pressure over time which may trigger a fault.

What is the actual diagnosis? Have you looked for a 2nd opinion? If you believe the sludge diagnosis without a 2nd opinion, you probably deserve to pay $25k for a brand new engine.
I'll be a plum fool to believe these idiots.. I just moved back to Atlanta so I haven't had time to sniff out a legit BMW mechanic who knows what they are doing.. I'll do the work myself to fix but I need help diagnosing it.. BMW was just a start
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I recently changed my oil cooler about a month ago due to a freak accident. Caused oil to leak. Changed the part out, took it to the nearest BMW to make sure it was ok. Had an oil change, car was fine. About a week and a half later. Driving on the highway. Did a short acceleration to get around a vehicle to exit the freeway. Soon as I come around, the RPMs shot up high, warning message comes on to say Drivetrain malfunction, car immediately goes into neutral. Had to coast it on the shoulder.. had the car towed to BMW and they say the engine locked up, 25k in repairs. Currently waiting on full diagnostic to come back so I can see what exactly is wrong.
Quote:
TBD. BMW said they don't know where or what caused it.. so I'm pushing them to really give me a detailed answer
Quote:
So BMW said that the engine seized due to sludge.. I'm no fool and I know a N55 engine doesn't develop sludge at 68k miles. Especially with routine oil changes
The chances of an engine seizing due to "sludge" is rare. Sludge takes quite a while to build up and even then, you'll probably have increased oil pressure over time which may trigger a fault.

What is the actual diagnosis? Have you looked for a 2nd opinion? If you believe the sludge diagnosis without a 2nd opinion, you probably deserve to pay $25k for a brand new engine.
I'll be a plum fool to believe these idiots.. I just moved back to Atlanta so I haven't had time to sniff out a legit BMW mechanic who knows what they are doing.. I'll do the work myself to fix but I need help diagnosing it.. BMW was just a start

Well my 2014 435i with an N55 has locked up at 187,000 miles recently I would like a detailed explanation from bmw as well and they are not even giving me anything. Only quotes for a motor. They said they can not even tear down and it is not worth it.

No leaks

Oil changed every 5k with liquid moly
-Always torqued to proper spec and never leaking oil. Only the normal within spec consumption once into normal 5k intervals.

Turbo new at 108,000 mile, broken in with oil intervals in the following way with liquid moly kit recommend by FCP Euro.. (not always purchased through fcp just same parts from Napa auto, more money but it was periodic depending on mileage severity. I was always sure to be very precise on the mileage especially when breaking in the new turbo.)

Using "BMW 5W40 Oil Change Kit - 11427953129KT5" every time. Fitment shows: "2014 BMW 435i Engine Oil Change Kit"

(1)500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(2)500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(3)1,000mi- change oil and filter and rings

(4)1,000mi- change oil and filter and rings

(5)1,500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(6) 3,000mi- change oil abs filter and rings

(7)5,000 mi intervals began… and so on with (5k) intervals.

Little oil on the oil pan but never leaked large amounts of oil anywhere and I never even saw drips from where the car was parked.

Motor locks up at 187,000miles on stock borg Warner turbo. BMS cold air intake, VRSF catless down pipe, VRSF intercooler, VRSF charge pipe, MHD Stage 2+ flashed.

Car basically did the same , I was getting on it and drivetrain malfunction flashed onto the screen and I was thrown into neutral and had to coast into a parking lot, where it then put me in park and never started again or went into neutral without manually doing so. Which is a pain.

I'd like a better explanation from BMW as well rather than simply New Engine quotes.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 08:32 AM   #32
Jpaul435
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Coupe RWD 8 spee

N55 engine locked up at 187k miles

QUOTE by austin.draper
QUOTE by Polo08816
QUOTE by austin.draper

QUOTE by austin.draper

QUOTE by austin.draper

QUOTE by austin.draper
QUOTE by Polo08816
QUOTE by austin.draper

QUOTE by austin.draper

QUOTE by austin.draper

Well my 2014 435i with an N55 has locked up at 187,000 miles recently I would like a detailed explanation from bmw as well and they are not even giving me anything. Only quotes for a motor. They said they can not even tear down and it is not worth it.

No leaks

Oil changed every 5k with liquid moly
-Always torqued to proper spec and never leaking oil. Only the normal within spec consumption once into normal 5k intervals.

Turbo new at 108,000 mile, broken in with oil intervals in the following way with liquid moly kit recommend by FCP Euro.. (not always purchased through fcp just same parts from Napa auto, more money but it was periodic depending on mileage severity. I was always sure to be very precise on the mileage especially when breaking in the new turbo.)

Using "BMW 5W40 Oil Change Kit - 11427953129KT5" every time. Fitment shows: "2014 BMW 435i Engine Oil Change Kit"

(1)500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(2)500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(3)1,000mi- change oil and filter and rings

(4)1,000mi- change oil and filter and rings

(5)1,500mi- change oil and filter and rings

(6) 3,000mi- change oil abs filter and rings

(7)5,000 mi intervals began… and so on with (5k) intervals.

Little oil on the oil pan but never leaked large amounts of oil anywhere and I never even saw drips from where the car was parked.

Motor locks up at 187,000miles on stock borg Warner turbo. BMS cold air intake, VRSF catless down pipe, VRSF intercooler, VRSF charge pipe, MHD Stage 2+ flashed.

Car basically did the same , I was getting on it and drivetrain malfunction flashed onto the screen and I was thrown into neutral and had to coast into a parking lot, where it then put me in park and never started again or went into neutral without manually doing so. Which is a pain.

I'd like a better explanation from BMW as well rather than simply New Engine quotes?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 02:02 AM   #33
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Was the OP's vehicle dealer serviced for the oil changes or did he do them? Right now, I don't believe a freaking word from a dealer, indy mechanic, or Carfax report says when it comes to wrenching on a car. Some of the BS a number of us have gone through in the Vegas area with multiple makes and dealerships beggars belief.
Appreciate 0