F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d Remapped
Extreme Powerhouse

05-25-2018, 08:56 AM   #89
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
Why can't you turn it back to stock? If you go back to the place that mapped it and say put the stock map back on? Besides bmw couldn't care less cos it's going back to the finance company that auction it anyway and regardless of wether it has been remapped and the time they receive it back it would be stock. Not that I have any intention of ever handing it back to them
I think what Scott is trying to say is “don’t remap then put it back to stock and expect your warranty to be valid again”.
What happened with the guy with the M3 is he bought the car from one main dealer and the car had a remap that was not mentioned by the dealer, even though it supposed to have Approved Used checks. The guy had no idea the car was mapped.
Car had an issue so went to his local (different) dealer who must have put the car back to stock, then realised it had a remapped and declared his warranty void. So although the car was back to stock again, he got told he warranty was still void, engine-wise.
Sounds like he managed to reject the car. Not his fault the car was sold (unknowingly to him) with a remap.

As teaston said, BMW can tell you’ve had a remap, I think even with people who put tuning boxes on and take them off. I’m sure I’ve read parameters such as boost pressure are recorded, so if they are logged much higher than stock then there is tell-tale evidence that the car has been tuned.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #90
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:
Why can't you turn it back to stock? If you go back to the place that mapped it and say put the stock map back on? Besides bmw couldn't care less cos it's going back to the finance company that auction it anyway and regardless of wether it has been remapped and the time they receive it back it would be stock. Not that I have any intention of ever handing it back to them
I think what Scott is trying to say is “don’t remap then put it back to stock and expect your warranty to be valid again”.
What happened with the guy with the M3 is he bought the car from one main dealer and the car had a remap that was not mentioned by the dealer, even though it supposed to have Approved Used checks. The guy had no idea the car was mapped.
Car had an issue so went to his local (different) dealer who must have put the car back to stock, then realised it had a remapped and declared his warranty void. So although the car was back to stock again, he got told he warranty was still void, engine-wise.
Sounds like he managed to reject the car. Not his fault the car was sold (unknowingly to him) with a remap.

As teaston said, BMW can tell you’ve had a remap, I think even with people who put tuning boxes on and take them off. I’m sure I’ve read parameters such as boost pressure are recorded, so if they are logged much higher than stock then there is tell-tale evidence that the car has been tuned.
Ohh right sorry yeah I agree with the warranty side of things I've only got a few months left of it but even those remappers who claim to have 'undetectable' maps I'd assume could be traced somehow
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #91
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Quote:
I am thinking about getting a remap with a car on a pcp with BMWfs and having read this thread I rang them up and asked them what their take was. The guy said you can do what you want with the car as long as when/if you decided to hand it back to the finance company (not likely) the car was returned to stock
I'd want that permission in writing rather than just from some agent on the phone....
Yeah good point. I've emailed them and they have confirmed this via email
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #92
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I am thinking about getting a remap with a car on a pcp with BMWfs and having read this thread I rang them up and asked them what their take was. The guy said you can do what you want with the car as long as when/if you decided to hand it back to the finance company (not likely) the car was returned to stock
Of course they did, you do know that BMWFS is BMW, Hi I'd like you to lend me the money to buy one of your cars that you warranty for 3 years then barry the fuck out of the engine and try and cover it up and defraud you if it goes bang....is that OK? Yeah you go right ahead son.
      05-25-2018, 12:45 PM   #93
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
That's not true at all, BMW FS cannot default you unless you miss 3 payments in a row. They can seek to repossess for modifications that do not adhere to their T&C's but highly unlikely.
Whether you think it's true or not isn't the issue, they own the car you signed the contract if you're in breach and they issue a default for breach you're in trouble and it has happened.

For me this tuning of cars you don't actually own and then trying to cover it up and defraud the manufacturer is really piss poor form.

I don't know what you sell but imagine I bought from you after you'd lent me the money I then run it out of spec and try and claim on your warranty? Would you be happy?
      05-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #94
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
That's not true at all, BMW FS cannot default you unless you miss 3 payments in a row. They can seek to repossess for modifications that do not adhere to their T&C's but highly unlikely.
Whether you think it's true or not isn't the issue, they own the car you signed the contract if you're in breach and they issue a default for breach you're in trouble and it has happened.

For me this tuning of cars you don't actually own and then trying to cover it up and defraud the manufacturer is really piss poor form.

I don't know what you sell but imagine I bought from you after you'd lent me the money I then run it out of spec and try and claim on your warranty? Would you be happy?
This thread is going sideways. Whose trying to cover anything up? Ok treat bmw and bmwfs as a single entity. I buy a car from them and get it in writing that I can remap the car (let's ignore warranty issues as it's out of warranty). They advise in writing that there only concern with the car being remapped is if it is ever handed back to them. Thereby they request in writing that the cars engine map is returned to stock before it is handed back. I really don't see the issue at all.

I don't think being upfront and asking them before you go ahead and do it is defrauding the manufacturer. Besides there is no guaranteed involvement from them until/if you handed it back
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #95
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
His maps are good though and the cars reliable for years with them on.
He spent 90 minutes modifying the cars map on his laptop before uploading it, it wasn't just some generic file he'd got saved.
Did he do runs in the car? Prior to remapping?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #96
Willsy33
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quick update for those that may have been interested in the Steinbauer...

Fitted earlier today and I can honestly say even with it set at the default value it’s a hell of a difference. No idea what power it’s now producing, or what torque it’s putting out, and frankly I don’t care as I’m happy with it. I’ll whack it on full after a while and have even bigger grins no doubt.

What I will say, though, is maybe I should have stayed with the idea of getting a 35d if this is the expectation. I just couldn’t find one in my price range (and spec).
Appreciate 2
Joshd6353.00
Hooded1669.00
      05-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #97
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsy33 View Post
Quick update for those that may have been interested in the Steinbauer...

Fitted earlier today and I can honestly say even with it set at the default value it’s a hell of a difference. No idea what power it’s now producing, or what torque it’s putting out, and frankly I don’t care as I’m happy with it. I’ll whack it on full after a while and have even bigger grins no doubt.

What I will say, though, is maybe I should have stayed with the idea of getting a 35d if this is the expectation. I just couldn’t find one in my price range (and spec).
Honestly the 335d doesn’t feel any quicker, obviously it is quicker but the feel of the single turbo on the 330d kicking in makes up for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #98
KraigF30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
I was quoted anywhere between £350-500 when I enquired. Generally at £500 you would be getting before and after dyno runs, as well as tweaking of the map to your car, as opposed to a generic flash and on your way.

Cheaper now though that everything can be done over OBD I'd guess!
Yeah that’s definitely including before and after runs with dyno time to tweak the map.

I wouldn’t go with a generic mapper who doesn’t use a dyno personally. And whilst you can go to a dyno after wards.. you really want a before and after done on the same day to see the gain.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #99
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
This thread is going sideways. Whose trying to cover anything up? Ok treat bmw and bmwfs as a single entity. I buy a car from them and get it in writing that I can remap the car (let's ignore warranty issues as it's out of warranty). They advise in writing that there only concern with the car being remapped is if it is ever handed back to them. Thereby they request in writing that the cars engine map is returned to stock before it is handed back. I really don't see the issue at all.

I don't think being upfront and asking them before you go ahead and do it is defrauding the manufacturer. Besides there is no guaranteed involvement from them until/if you handed it back
Well you go ahead and get all that in writing, it's a utter nonsense that you think you can.

You're asking them to lend you money to buy a product and then run it out of spec for 3 years but don't worry I'll return to standard after 3 years when I hand it back? You've got to be kidding me...what a joke.
      05-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #100
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well you go ahead and get all that in writing, it's a utter nonsense that you think you can.

You're asking them to lend you money to buy a product and then run it out of spec for 3 years but don't worry I'll return to standard after 3 years when I hand it back? You've got to be kidding me...what a joke.
Hahaha thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #101
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Don't peddle rubbish about it impacting a credit file, it's not fair and not true.

I don't doubt that you would be in breach of the agreement but they certainly won't repossess.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #102
Steve_335d
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M-Sport

Sorry to dig up an old thread, I wasn't sure where else to post...

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a remap done that only effects sports &/or sports+ modes? I have a 2016 335d that my wife uses in the week. I would like the eco and comfort modes to remain stock for her weekly driving and the sports mode to benefit from the remap when I want to take it for a blast on the weekend. Any advice would be much welcomed as I'm looking to get it done once the warranty runs out in a few weeks. Thanks
      02-17-2019, 01:23 PM   #103
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_335d View Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a remap done that only effects sports &/or sports+ modes? I have a 2016 335d that my wife uses in the week. I would like the eco and comfort modes to remain stock for her weekly driving and the sports mode to benefit from the remap when I want to take it for a blast on the weekend. Any advice would be much welcomed as I'm looking to get it done once the warranty runs out in a few weeks. Thanks
Pretty sure Dervtech are one of the outfits offering mapping to individual driving modes. Check their website of Facebook page, but I'm sure there are others as well.
      02-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #104
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:

Remap of your choice and... Get a Racechip XLR with Bluetooth. Put her modes in normal. Keep yours in Race+
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #105
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Quote:

Spoilsport or what.
Get it mapped and let her have some fun. If she doesn't use the power already then she'll not notice if it's mapped. If she's owt like my missus then she'll melt the tyres 'cos mine drives it harder than I do
      02-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #106
Steve_335d
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M-Sport

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't notice the extra power as she doesn't put her foot down... however a change in throttle response would be noticeable. Truth be told, I don't particularly want to tell her it's been remapped Unfortunately it doesn't have the memory seat option so I can't set different driving modes for different drivers (that I'm aware of). I'm Manchester based so will speak to Rick at Unicorn in the week (he's been mentioned a few times in these forums), he remapped my previous C250 Coupe and it never had any issues. Thanks for the advice, any more is welcome
      02-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #107
Sunnyb11
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d xdrive

will stick the tuning box on my 335d after end of warranty check later this month.

wonder if its noticeable increase in torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #108
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Steve335 - you could fit a pedal box after the map.
Turn down the pedal sensitivity for your wife and then turn it up for you. Best of both worlds!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #109
LeedsM4
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2018

Sorry to bring this back up as it was settled that the car would be out of warranty, but interested to hear everyones opinion (Except Wills2, seems to be a little stroppy on this post ) on Tuning box Warranty.

For example having read the Bluefin chip and Racechip tune websites, there is warranty included. Am I correct in thinking that you need to provide a valid warranty certificate from your dealer before the box is installed for the chip box warranty to be valid?

Only catch it seems is Racechip only seem to warranty a value of £6000, although I may be incorrect. Not sure how much a 35d engine is and fitted by your dealer but I'm sure it's over double that value?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #110
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Mulgari automotive in Bracknell offer warranty on their tunes (upto a million or so), costs about £500 I think, I've had it for about 6 months now, very smooth map
Appreciate 0