F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Smoke, Smoke and more smoke
GetBMWParts

07-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #23
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

As I said previously I have every sympathy with the OP's problem and i do hope he sorts it at nominal cost.
However it is this culture of always wanting to sue someone/take them to court/ someone else has to pay/not my fault culture that seems to exist in the UK at the moment that I object to. Not just with cars but in life generally.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #24
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoestring View Post
As I said previously I have every sympathy with the OP's problem and i do hope he sorts it at nominal cost.
However it is this culture of always wanting to sue someone/take them to court/ someone else has to pay/not my fault culture that seems to exist in the UK at the moment that I object to. Not just with cars but in life generally.
No one. is on about taking anyone to court or sueing them.

It's basic consumer rights that protect the average person from dickhead dealers and their employees.

If you buy a new tv 55" 4K Tv and it stops working after 3 months, I assume you just think bugger it may as well just buy a new one.

Or heaven forbid you take your car in for servicing and they damage the car and refuse to pay for the damage, what then, take it on the chin as life's shit and these things happen. Then cough up a couple grand to cover the damage they caused?
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      07-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #25
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Facts as we currently know them:-
The OP bought an expensive 'Secondhand' car with a 3month warranty sometime in the past.(We currently don't know when) but certainly more than 3months ago (it may be under 6months we don't know) and the dealer has told him I believe that the car is now out of warranty.
So now you are suggesting to the OP that regardless of the above facts he should go chasing after the dealer by legal means to sort it because somehow the dealer is at fault because according to you all dealers are dickheads!!

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Each to his own of course but if it were me I would do things differently........

Last edited by shoestring; 07-15-2018 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #26
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
The OP bought an expensive 'Secondhand' car with a 3month warranty sometime in the past.(We currently don't know when) but certainly more than 3months ago (it may be under 6months we don't know) and the dealer has told him I believe that the car is now out of warranty.
So now you are suggesting to the OP that regardless of the above facts he should go chasing after the dealer by legal means to sort it because somehow the dealer is at fault because according to you all dealers are dickheads!!

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Each to his own of course but if it were me I would do things differently........
No I am not, follow the thread.

I said if he is covered (after discussing with Citizens Advice and Trading Standards, if not then it's breakers or pay cash. (Post #17).

From your rant on post #25, I take it you do not believe in consumer rights or protection from negligent work and would never make a claim.

The vast majority are, in so much they will try their hardest not to take the blame for anything and then just go, oh well these things happen.

Name 1 decent dealership and there are at least 3 that are crap, same with car sales, apart from far higher number of shit ones with a very low intelligence rating.

Just take the simple fact that even if a car is in warranty, the owner invariably has to prove 100% there is an issue.

They fail to follow simple instructions of not washing the car.

Yes they are some decent dealerships (various manufacturers) these however are dragged down by the number of poor to diabolical dealers / garages.

Everyone should where possible push for dealers to fund repairs, even if out of warranty and not a common item to fail, this is where goodwill gestures come in to play and separate decent dealships from crap ones.
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      07-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #27
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:

Since most used car salesmen are as dodgy as Arthur Daley and will do everything they can to get out of fixing a car even if it was sold with an existing fault, I don't see anything wrong with using your consumer rights to try and force them to fix an expensive newish car you've recently purchased. We aren't talking about a cheap 10 year old car here either, if I buy a car that's just 3 or so years old for the best part of 20k I don't expect it to throw up big repair bills for faults within the first few months and if it does and consumer rights cover it I will use those rights.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 06:32 AM   #28
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

The OP is short on facts...

The 330D was launched in 2003. So how old is the car and what mileage has it accrued?
He was apparently unaware of what warranty he had. He had to go back and ask and somewhat naively though they should have given him prior notice of it ending.
He almost certainly did not buy it from a BMW dealer as they would not sell a car with 3 months warranty.

A full insight into such facts might give a better understanding of how he should proceed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #29
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
The OP is short on facts...

The 330D was launched in 2003. So how old is the car and what mileage has it accrued?
He was apparently unaware of what warranty he had. He had to go back and ask and somewhat naively though they should have given him prior notice of it ending.
He almost certainly did not buy it from a BMW dealer as they would not sell a car with 3 months warranty.

A full insight into such facts might give a better understanding of how he should proceed.
Since he posted on an F30 forum it's safe to assume it's likely no older than 2012, that's when they were launched.

Your right though, we are short on facts and need to know things such as how long he's had the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #30
Check-Mate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Hello All, Thanks for the replies!

To answer your questions car was purchased from a used car dealer. Car is 2014 reg had 93k at the time of purchase which was in September 2017 now its at 103k

The throttle body was replaced and the manifold only spotted after. The manifold i have found at 450 from Germany i would of course need to confirm if its the correct part. Still screwed in regards to this

Basically when the throttle body laid an egg the valve was jammed open causing the damage to the plastic intake manifold...

I have posted the requirements on some part finder websites so hopefully ill get the correct with the correct price tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #31
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the update Check-Mate.
Hope all goes well with sorting it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #32
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check-Mate View Post
Hello All, Thanks for the replies!

To answer your questions car was purchased from a used car dealer. Car is 2014 reg had 93k at the time of purchase which was in September 2017 now its at 103k

The throttle body was replaced and the manifold only spotted after. The manifold i have found at 450 from Germany i would of course need to confirm if its the correct part. Still screwed in regards to this

Basically when the throttle body laid an egg the valve was jammed open causing the damage to the plastic intake manifold...

I have posted the requirements on some part finder websites so hopefully ill get the correct with the correct price tomorrow.
All the part nos you may require should be here: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...MW+330d/ECE/11
      07-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #33
Check-Mate
Private
Rep

Update:

Good evening all, just an update i got my car sorted in the end. Got it back on Friday. Managed to get an intake manifold from a breaker at £304.. Including the throttle body and labour the total stands at £884.. i guess i have learnt my lesson about not having warranty or rather checking i have it in the first place!!

Many thanks to all who pitched in to help in any way shape or form

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #34
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Quote:

There's only one dickhead in this discussion, can you guess who it is?

It's funny, in my little isolated and uniformed world there's a standard joke that if you're on a course and you haven't identified the course cock on the first day (and there is ALWAYS one) then it's invariably you..
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:37 AM   #35
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
There's only one dickhead in this discussion, can you guess who it is?

It's funny, in my little isolated and uniformed world there's a standard joke that if you're on a course and you haven't identified the course cock on the first day (and there is ALWAYS one) then it's invariably you..
To be fair, there was some truth in what he said. Not all dealers are dickheads - my brother was a service manager at a franchise dealer for a number of years and would source and fit secondhand parts for good customers if needs be..

Plus I would also say that a dealer having to prove a fault wasnt present on a car sold up to 6 months ago with maybe 100k on the clock is unreasonable if I wear my business hat...

Not all laws are sensible....
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      07-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #36
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
If you buy a new tv 55" 4K Tv and it stops working after 3 months, I assume you just think bugger it may as well just buy a new one.
Nope, I'd call the manufacturer and sort a repair under the 12 month warranty that comes with the TV as it's new. The car wasn't new, it was used and came with an appropriate warranty.

Unfortunately I don't think the OP would have had much luck pushing for a repair under the Consumer Rights Act, even if it was within the first 6 months. The car was sold with 93K on it so things are likely to go wrong, it's part and parcel with buying a car that's done that kind of mileage.

Don't rely on consumer rights to avoid repair bills, either buy AUC and get a 12-month warranty included, or pay for an extended warranty yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #37
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
To be fair, there was some truth in what he said. Not all dealers are dickheads - my brother was a service manager at a franchise dealer for a number of years and would source and fit secondhand parts for good customers if needs be..

Plus I would also say that a dealer having to prove a fault wasnt present on a car sold up to 6 months ago with maybe 100k on the clock is unreasonable if I wear my business hat...

Not all laws are sensible....
I've no doubt you're right but calling out the OP for describing dealers as dickheads when he did nothing of the sort is just playground mentality.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 12:51 AM   #38
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Think you need to go to SpecSavers and then re-read the thread Pal!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #39
Check-Mate
Private
Rep

Just an update to this

Turns out all this hassle was the EGR cooler doing its damage. I've had my car looked at for the recall and asked about 3 times what work if any was carried out to no avail.

I was then told by a member of family asked if i had been reimbursed for the work i had done to which i said no as i wanted to forget this ordeal as quick as i could. So i set to contact BMW for a breakdown to the work my car had done when looked at for the recall. They replied and said your car was like showroom condition in regards to the parts that were looked at, Naturally i was annoyed and tried to make the point out that if they had recalled a few months before i wouldn't have had to fork out this money to fix this design flaw. The BMW staff then told me to send in an invoice with part numbers for the work i had done by my local garage.

2 days ago i got a call from BMW saying i will get a cheque in the post for the parts and labour i had to pay to get my car fixed!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check-Mate View Post
Just an update to this

Turns out all this hassle was the EGR cooler doing its damage. I've had my car looked at for the recall and asked about 3 times what work if any was carried out to no avail.

I was then told by a member of family asked if i had been reimbursed for the work i had done to which i said no as i wanted to forget this ordeal as quick as i could. So i set to contact BMW for a breakdown to the work my car had done when looked at for the recall. They replied and said your car was like showroom condition in regards to the parts that were looked at, Naturally i was annoyed and tried to make the point out that if they had recalled a few months before i wouldn't have had to fork out this money to fix this design flaw. The BMW staff then told me to send in an invoice with part numbers for the work i had done by my local garage.

2 days ago i got a call from BMW saying i will get a cheque in the post for the parts and labour i had to pay to get my car fixed!

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #41
Check-Mate
Private
Rep

And the story doesn't end there.....

Since having a reconditioned EGR valve and cooler, Car was due for an MOT so i booked it in for yesterday. Went in and the guy was telling me how they have widened the recall parameters and new parts are available and they would need to carry out the check before proceeding to the MOT.

After waiting about an hour the gentleman approached me with a glum face, naturally i had thought the MOT had failed (in hindsight that would make the stealers happy not sad) and proceeded to say they hadn't attempted the MOT due to checking my cars EGR/Cooler and finding it needing the upgrade. As the parts were due in on tuesday/wednesday. I said id happily take the car and come back and the guy was like "this car is no longer safe to drive as it can catch fire at any moment".

As you may imagine i was fuming at this point as i was getting late for an appointment and they had no cars available. long story short they had to get me a car from Enterprise so im now rolling around in a nissan f*cking juke.

The Saga continues...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #42
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

I was really happy to read about the cheque in the post but ffs a Nissan juke.

That would take the shine off a lottery win. I'd ask for like for like. I got an E220d from 6 weeks from enterprise abiet via insurance repairs. I don't see why you are disadvantaged on what has been beyond your control.

Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #43
Check-Mate
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ncl View Post
I was really happy to read about the cheque in the post but ffs a Nissan juke.

That would take the shine off a lottery win. I'd ask for like for like. I got an E220d from 6 weeks from enterprise abiet via insurance repairs. I don't see why you are disadvantaged on what has been beyond your control.

Best of luck
Appreciate the sympathies mate

it is a bit of a shitty situation but oh well life goes on. the funny thing is the 1.6 petrol juke is costing me double the fuel my 3l diesel would #dieselpower
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #44
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I've no doubt you're right but calling out the OP for describing dealers as dickheads when he did nothing of the sort is just playground mentality.

Blimey.