F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E-Sys Help!
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #67
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Twoclicks View Post
...Concerning the price, as a non-professional coding enthusiast I only code my own and my mum's car maybe once or twice a year. Spending 50-100 bucks for a license, even if it is for charity, is still a large amount for that. I also think that serves as a huge threshold for people wanting to start learning, thereby deminishing the coding community. Open source could be a solution to that..
Spending 50-100 bucks for a license" is a "huge threshold" for someone that can afford to own and operate a BMW?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #68
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Spending 50-100 bucks for a license" is a "huge threshold" for someone that can afford to own and operate a BMW?
It’s not, but I think because it was free for so long it now seems hard for some people to start paying for it.

For me it was worth the $50 just to have my mirrors fold in when I lock the car, let alone the other stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #69
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It’s not, but I think because it was free for so long it now seems hard for some people to start paying for it.

For me it was worth the $50 just to have my mirrors fold in when I lock the car, let alone the other stuff!
...maybe so...as I wrote back in Post #15, for the first 5 years, before Launcher PREMIUM came along, we all paid $50 for a 12 month E-Sys token, year after year, and were happy to do it...so for us "old-timers", maybe paying for it is an easier pill to swallow.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #70
Tony Twoclicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i

Well, yes, actually it is. I have worked very very hard the last couple of years to finally buy my dreamcar. And as a hobby, I'd like to tweak and tune some settings occasionally, but that's about all I do with coding. For that kind of incidental usage I find 50-100 bucks quite a lot.

If you're just getting started, finding your way, interested in the possibilities but unsure of how it all works, then I can certainly imagine that spending that amount of money just to try it out, would be a huge threshold and will withhold people from even beginning.

Cheers, Tony
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #71
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

...maybe so...as I wrote back in Post #15, for the first 5 years, before Launcher PREMIUM came along, we all paid $50 for a 12 month E-Sys token, year after year, and were happy to do it...so for us "old-timers", maybe paying for it is an easier pill to swallow.
I don't remember ever paying for a token, I thought you could just download them for free before they trimmed the cafd's and we then need launcher?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #72
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't remember ever paying for a token, I thought you could just download them for free before they trimmed the cafd's and we then need launcher?
Au contraire mon frère...

The evolution was as follows:

1) E-Sys Patch & Token - 2 native .jar files patched (est-cm-xx.xx.xx.jar and psdz-core.jar) and a .EST Token file with 1-Year validity - Available for $50 USD to seller (most all bought from akiss)

2) Patchless Token Solution - Custom .jar file (tokenMaster-1.jar) and a .EST Token file with 1-Year Validity - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

3) E-Sys Launcher PREMIUM - Token Solution with Integrated CAFD / FAFP Mapping and Cheat Codes with some restrictions - Available for Free from TokenMaster

4) E-Sys Launcher PRO - Token Solution with Integrated CAFD / FAFP Mapping and Cheat Codes without any restrictions and with added features - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

5) Launcher PRO 3.x - Revamped / Streamlined version of E-Sys E-Sys Launcher PRO - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

And if one has trouble wrapping their head around paying $50 for an .EST Token, they will be shocked to know that the first version of E-Sys leaked out (E-SYS_v.3.10.1 if I recall correctly) was sold for $50k USD (10-man group buy at $5k per head). Granted back then it was being purchased by those hoping to commercialize it for great profit and not hobbyists. Ironically a day later, one of the 10 posted it to Usenet (if anyone remembers or knows what that is ) and well, the rest is history as they say...

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #73
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Au contraire mon frère...

The evolution was as follows:

1) E-Sys Patch & Token - 2 native .jar files patched (est-cm-xx.xx.xx.jar and psdz-core.jar) and a .EST Token file with 1-Year validity - Available for $50 USD to seller (most all bought from akiss)

2) Patchless Token Solution - Custom .jar file (tokenMaster-1.jar) and a .EST Token file with 1-Year Validity - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

3) E-Sys Launcher PREMIUM - Token Solution with Integrated CAFD / FAFP Mapping and Cheat Codes with some restrictions - Available for Free from TokenMaster

4) E-Sys Launcher PRO - Token Solution with Integrated CAFD / FAFP Mapping and Cheat Codes without any restrictions and with added features - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

5) Launcher PRO 3.x - Revamped / Streamlined version of E-Sys E-Sys Launcher PRO - Available from TokenMaster after making a $50 USD Donation

And if one has trouble wrapping their head around paying $50 for an .EST Token, they will be shocked to know that the first version of E-Sys leaked out (E-SYS_v.3.10.1 if I recall correctly) was sold for $50k USD (10-man group buy at $5k per head). Granted back then it was being purchased by those hoping to commercialize it for great profit and not hobbyists. Ironically a day later, one of the 10 posted it to Usenet (if anyone remembers or knows what that is ) and well, the rest is history as they say...
Pretty sure I downloaded a token for free from somewhere though, I definitely never paid for it.

So, what are these “cheat codes”?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #74
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I'm getting a bit confused with the licensing in general

Is esys free ?

Are the supporting psdzdata files public domain ?

It seems the issue is the generation of a token - is this effectively a way of using a licensed product (ie esys) in an unlicensed way ?

All the talk so far is just about the launcher rather than esys itself

Can someone clarify please ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #75
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pretty sure I downloaded a token for free from somewhere though, I definitely never paid for it.
You may have. There was nothing preventing someone that bought one from sharing it with others.

Quote:
So, what are these “cheat codes”?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05&postcount=1

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #76
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post

Is esys free ?

It seems the issue is the generation of a token - is this effectively a way of using a licensed product (ie esys) in an unlicensed way ?

E-Sys is developed by ESG for private use by BMW. It is not supposed to be in Public Domain as it is.

PSdZdata is ripped from BMW ISTA/P software, and also is not suppose to be in Public Domain as it is.

.EST Token has nothing to do with licensing. .EST token is used by E-Sys as a means to authorize FDL Coding Changes being written to ECU.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #77
julienjj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Quote:

Is esys free ?

E-Sys is a BMW AG engineering tool for internal use. Dealers don't even have direct access to it.

It's definitively not "Free" but with this tool being important for repairs, one could argue that with the various "right to repair bills" the information and feature of this software should be available to the car owners and mechanics we contract with for our repairs.

The PSDzdata is basically monthly patches that contain firmwares and configurations for all the computers in all BMWs that BMW Ag provide to anyone with the workshop software (ISTA/Rheingold), that even independants shops can get access to if they pay the 2K a year license. This data was simply extracted from the repository of the software.

From my understanding of e-sys, the token themselves allow for coding the car. They are a BMW attemps at preventing 3rd party from injecting data in the modules for security reasons (think public/private key safety)

There are other ways to code the modules, as I have an AutoHex II which can code pretty much any module and do operations the BMW software would not allow, such as changing the VIN# or making new keys.

Edit : looks like we have been explaining this at the same time LOL.
Gone : 135i 2008 | Gone : 2008 535i Touring|
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #78
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

So it seems we're all using pirated software or at least not complying with the licence.

I'm not sure if BMW make any attempts to stop people using their software but either way charging for a launcher that enables the (technically illegal) use of licenced software is perhaps something some people are not comfortable with.

I guess Carly and similar products are all fully legal in this respect as they don't use BMW code.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #79
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
...I'm not sure if BMW make any attempts to stop people using their software but either way charging for a launcher that enables the (technically illegal) use of licenced software is perhaps something some people are not comfortable with.

I guess Carly and similar products are all fully legal in this respect as they don't use BMW code.
I have no idea where you are going with this...but I leave that with you.

As for TM, he is not charging for anything. His solution is free to anyone who makes a charitable donation to a legitimate charity. He can't be accused of profiting from BMW's protected works.

Any application, including BimmerCode and Carly, that is writing FDL Changes to an ECU, at a minimum is violating some aspect of BMW AG's copyrights and patents by using their cryptographic key.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #80
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

Interesting.
I'm not trying to "go anywhere" with this, just discussing the licencing implications.
As someone who works for a software developer the issue of piracy is of interest to me.
I guess if Carly and the like use BMW proprietary code and or keys, i wonder why they tolerate it
The fact that they do is of course good for us
I'm fairly sure being able to do what we take for granted is not possible with mercedes with freely available software
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #81
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Interesting.
I'm not trying to "go anywhere" with this, just discussing the licencing implications.
As someone who works for a software developer the issue of piracy is of interest to me.
I guess if Carly and the like use BMW proprietary code and or keys, i wonder why they tolerate it
The fact that they do is of course good for us
I'm fairly sure being able to do what we take for granted is not possible with mercedes with freely available software
I think BMW probably cannot be bothered because carly and bimmercode are so small time. If they got big then no doubt BMW would be after them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #82
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

im still waiting for a reply from tokenmaster for a license.
emailed last month and had nothing back
is there any other ways of getting the license?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #83
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobbo View Post
im still waiting for a reply from tokenmaster for a license.
emailed last month and had nothing back
is there any other ways of getting the license?
PM me your email address that you send TM email from.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #84
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

Quote:
PM me your email address that you send TM email from.
sent shawn
thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #85
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

For now I'm happy with BimmerCode, mainly for simplicity since I had loads of issues trying to get multiple computers to work with ESys.

I just don't understand the resistance to pay a few quid to unlock your car's features since most pay much more on a set of mats or key holder.

That said, looking back in my email, I paid Eli $70 for a 3 year 'license' back in 2014. The tokens became free not so long after that so I was ripped off!
      01-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #86
Kandyland
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Activehybrid 3

Looking for a link to download esys -- or through PM thx --
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:38 AM   #87
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyland View Post
Looking for a link to download esys -- or through PM thx --
Tokenmaster includes all the download links when you purchase a token from him.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #88
Fixx
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienjj View Post
All this prove we need an open source solution for the tokens.
For now these cars are fairly new, so no engine swap or hardcore mods or expensive dealer fixes alternatives have been done.

For the average joe a phone app is good enough (enable windows with remote etc).

But we will need a working e-sys in the future; If tokenmaster get hit by a bus crossing the street it's done; we take a 3-4 years setback.

As far as I understand, he don't want people to re-sell his software and rip-off people(which is good), but E-sys launcher was distributed in such a misterious/non-existant way that many just gave off and paid 20$ to get it on a DVD from ebay.

If he were to setup a Github so it can be downloaded easily it and have others look and improve the code it could :
1) Reduce the troubleshooting burden on him
2) Stop wasting his time replying to activation/license emails.
3)The BMW community would gain durable code that would be lasting for as long as e-sys will be used for the BMW products it works for (if we take on how long DIS/INPA was used at bmw.... e-sys will likely be around for 15 years easily)
4) If Tokenmaster gets bored of doing or has other thing come up in his life we don't end up with only pay to play solutions (various coding app or paid tokens as it used to be)
+1
Appreciate 0