F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Flat Tire Scenario With Dealership
Extreme Powerhouse

12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
lordg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Flat Tire Scenario With Dealership

I'm thinking of replacing my run flat tires with regular non-run flat tires, and I'll probably buy them from an independent tire shop.

Now let's say one of my non-run flat tire blows out from driving over a pot hole and my car gets tolled to the dealership. Will the dealer try to install the original run-flat tire onto my car?

Since I have non-run flats on, I want to replace the flat tire with another non-run flat, preferably with the exact same brand. Will the dealership be able to do that? Can they order non-run flats and install them for me?

I'm assuming the dealer will only install the sames tires that originally came with the car.

Last edited by lordg; 12-10-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

With the age of your car I'm assuming you have no wheel and tire protection package. There really is no reason to use the dealer for consumable maintenance once you're out of warranty, just have it towed to an independent tire shop. Even if it were at a dealer, they need your consent to perform any repairs. If they do not intend or are not willing to replace the tire with another of the same, pretty much any other shop will.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Doubtful your car will get towed to a dealership. You’ll tell the tow company where to take your car and you will tell the place what tire you want.
I’m running non rft winter tires now. I keep a plug kit and air compressor in the trunk. For simple punctures that should be enough. For anything worse I will get towed. With xDrive I will either replace in pairs or have the replacement tire shaved to match.

Once my factory rfts wear out on my summer tires, I will replace them with goflats as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
lordg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

The problem is I'm not sure if I'm allowed to toll my car to the tire shop and leave my car parked there over night, where as I know this is allowed for the dealership. You can park your car at the dealership over night and drop your keys off and write a note telling what needs to be done. The dealer will call me back the next morning and confirm what's need to be fixed on the car.

I've experienced this before, where my run flat tires got cracked driving over a pot hole and the car was no longer driveable since the tire was completely flat and cannot hold any air. This happened at night when all the shops were closed. I had no choice but to call CAA and toll my car. I told them to drop it at the dealership, since the dealership has this overnight service.

So that's why I'm worried, if this happens again with my non-run flat tires, I wouldn't know where to toll my car to. If it's just a simple puncture, I can just inflate it with a air compressor and continue driving it, but if it's a complete blow out, it's no longer driveable, I gotta toll the car somewhere to get it fixed.

What other options do I have?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
BMWF30PGH
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xDrive

I moved to go-flats about a year ago. I also have a repair kit in my trunk. You could purchase a spare, keep it in your garage, and if the time comes have someone bring you the spare. Then you take towing and the dealer out of the mix...just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #6
JimmyDee
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordg View Post
The problem is I'm not sure if I'm allowed to toll my car to the tire shop and leave my car parked there over night, where as I know this is allowed for the dealership. You can park your car at the dealership over night and drop your keys off and write a note telling what needs to be done. The dealer will call me back the next morning and confirm what's need to be fixed on the car.

I've experienced this before, where my run flat tires got cracked driving over a pot hole and the car was no longer driveable since the tire was completely flat and cannot hold any air. This happened at night when all the shops were closed. I had no choice but to call CAA and toll my car. I told them to drop it at the dealership, since the dealership has this overnight service.

So that's why I'm worried, if this happens again with my non-run flat tires, I wouldn't know where to toll my car to. If it's just a simple puncture, I can just inflate it with a air compressor and continue driving it, but if it's a complete blow out, it's no longer driveable, I gotta toll the car somewhere to get it fixed.

What other options do I have?
Tolling your car is very different from towing your car.

TOLL:
1. a charge payable for permission to use a particular bridge or road.
2. the number of deaths, casualties, or injuries arising from particular circumstances, such as a natural disaster, conflict, or accident.

TOW:
1. pull (another vehicle or boat) along with a rope, chain, or tow bar.
2. an act of towing a vehicle or boat.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 11:46 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordg View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my run flat tires with regular non-run flat tires, and I'll probably buy them from an independent tire shop.

Now let's say one of my non-run flat tire blows out from driving over a pot hole and my car gets tolled to the dealership. Will the dealer try to install the original run-flat tire onto my car?

Since I have non-run flats on, I want to replace the flat tire with another non-run flat, preferably with the exact same brand. Will the dealership be able to do that? Can they order non-run flats and install them for me?

I'm assuming the dealer will only install the sames tires that originally came with the car.
Tow it to the Independent Shop you purchased tires from.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If you can share, what's the motivation to replace run flat tires with regular tires? More comfortable ride? Something else?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
For me it was more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
wharthog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Wagon, 2018 R NineT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
If you can share, what's the motivation to replace run flat tires with regular tires? More comfortable ride? Something else?
Better and quieter ride, better performance (the one many people leave out), massive cost savings $$$.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

i recommend buying your tires from tirerack.com because they come with free two year tire road hazard protection.

i had two punctures in a span of a month and they were all replaced for free.

o keep a spare in my garage so i would tow the car home and install the wheel myself
      02-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #12
NoobCola
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N20

If you plan to run non run flats I'd recommend getting a spare or if you want to save the trunk space get a fix a flat kit. It's a lot cheaper than paying for a tow if you don't have roadside assistance.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #13
DThr33
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

idk if it's any different in the US (probably is) but when I got a flat last week, I called BMW's roadside assistance (bundled in with my extended warranty) and simply asked them to recover the car to my home.

Dealt with getting a new tyre & getting it fitted myself at my own pace instead of paying whatever overpriced figure the nearest tyre shop would want to charge
Appreciate 0