F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bmw b48 downpipe choices
Extreme Powerhouse

02-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Didn't see it as an attack, no need to apologize - I appreciate your input.

I guess we're derailing the thread a bit now. I've considered the JB4 back and forth, but for various reasons haven't gone for it yet.

To get back on topic, I've found a local dealer for RM Motors downpipes, and he's promised to inquire with them whether it's likely to get a CEL with their catted downpipes (they have both 100 cell and 200 cell option). He'll also ask them about difference in sound levels between their three options (decat downpipe, silenced downpipe and catted downpipe).

He had installed a couple of the decat downpipes from them, and according to him, fitment and quality was good.

I'll probably end up installing one of those, if I'm able to agree with myself on which option to pick.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #24
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
Didn't see it as an attack, no need to apologize - I appreciate your input.

I guess we're derailing the thread a bit now. I've considered the JB4 back and forth, but for various reasons haven't gone for it yet.

To get back on topic, I've found a local dealer for RM Motors downpipes, and he's promised to inquire with them whether it's likely to get a CEL with their catted downpipes (they have both 100 cell and 200 cell option). He'll also ask them about difference in sound levels between their three options (decat downpipe, silenced downpipe and catted downpipe).

He had installed a couple of the decat downpipes from them, and according to him, fitment and quality was good.

I'll probably end up installing one of those, if I'm able to agree with myself on which option to pick.
At least you have some choices lol. For now, If I want to get a Downpipe I only have 1 choice being the ER one.

For now I did find this video of the Armytrix B48 downpipe that was installed on a 320i (so should be the same engine). Should give you an Idea but seems mean and throaty !

02-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #25
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Sounds promising. Perhaps I have to do a decat downpipe, but then put the mid muffler back again to get the pops and bangs while still keeping the overall sound level down. Not easy to get the perfect sound!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Found a FAQ post from Supersprint (who uses HJS cats) that was pretty informative. https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/wh...its-place.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #27
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
So I've inquired from rm motors about their downpipe, and they've said I'll likely get a CEL even with the catted downpipe, because "you will need to recalibrate the software, because sensor readings will be unreliable, resulting in ECU will not be working properly."¨

So I guess he's basically saying I will need a remap. I've seen Mike (x-ph) say elsewhere that the car will run fine without a tune (think that maybe was in reference to an N20 engine though), but now I'm not sure what to think.

If the ECU is unable to get proper measurements from the O2 sensor it'll end up running too lean or rich probably, which can't be a good thing.

any comments/thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #28
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
So I've inquired from rm motors about their downpipe, and they've said I'll likely get a CEL even with the catted downpipe, because "you will need to recalibrate the software, because sensor readings will be unreliable, resulting in ECU will not be working properly."¨

So I guess he's basically saying I will need a remap. I've seen Mike (x-ph) say elsewhere that the car will run fine without a tune (think that maybe was in reference to an N20 engine though), but now I'm not sure what to think.

If the ECU is unable to get proper measurements from the O2 sensor it'll end up running too lean or rich probably, which can't be a good thing.

any comments/thoughts on this?
Plenty of people are running catted and uncatted downpipes with no problems at all (except a CEL light). A piggyback and/or a reflash is ideal and optimal but not absolutely required.

I also saw some people running Fabspeed catted o2 spacers with good results even on catless DP (but those spacers are pricey.
      02-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #29
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaineBeaver View Post
Plenty of people are running catted and uncatted downpipes with no problems at all (except a CEL light). A piggyback and/or a reflash is ideal and optimal but not absolutely required.

I also saw some people running Fabspeed catted o2 spacers with good results even on catless DP (but those spacers are pricey.
I'm starting to think maybe I misunderstood, and he was only referring to the sensor monitoring emissions, not the one used to control fuel mixture.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #30
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaineBeaver View Post

That was indeed pretty expensive. Any idea if it's the 90 or 45 degree option that is needed for the B48?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #31
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
I have now ordered this https://rm-motors.pl/en/downpipe/699...-catalyst.html (downpipe with 200 cell cat).

The tuning shop that will help me install it also offers reprogramming of the ECU that removes the CEL that the catalyst will likely throw, so I'll do that as well, plus maaaaybe a remap/tune too (currently have a JB+). They only offer a standard remap (not custom to the car), so have to look into it a bit more before deciding.

Will report back on fitment, sound, etc. Will probably re-install my mid muffler at the same time to reduce the risk of drone / higher cabin noise. Will probably be a few weeks before it's delivered and installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #32
e.t.o.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 330e

Garage List
Quote:
I have now ordered this https://rm-motors.pl/en/downpipe/699...-catalyst.html (downpipe with 200 cell cat).
I'm looking at similar upgrades to my 330e so... Please, keep us updated when installed and share your experience.

Can you also share what piggyback box you've used prior to switching (back) to JB?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #33
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.t.o. View Post
I'm looking at similar upgrades to my 330e so... Please, keep us updated when installed and share your experience.

Can you also share what piggyback box you've used prior to switching (back) to JB?
Will do. I had the Ventura tuning. If I were to buy a piggyback again I would probably go for the Mosselman. What I will do is either stay with JB+ or go for a remap of the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:20 AM   #34
Janske21
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

go to follow this, verry intresting topic ;p
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #35
e.t.o.
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 330e

Garage List
Quote:
Will do. I had the Ventura tuning. If I were to buy a piggyback again I would probably go for the Mosselman. What I will do is either stay with JB+ or go for a remap of the ECU.
Mosselman controller is also on my short-list. They've recently tuned a 330e to 340+ hp. Check their Facebook page for the post of March 14th: https://www.facebook.com/MosselmanTurboSystems/
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #36
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.t.o. View Post
Mosselman controller is also on my short-list. They've recently tuned a 330e to 340+ hp. Check their Facebook page for the post of March 14th: https://www.facebook.com/MosselmanTurboSystems/
The tune/car you are referring to is not done with the Mosselman itronic piggyback, but by a ECU remap (read the text in the post). With the piggyback they typically get 310-320hp and around 500nm.

Interesting post nonetheless, since they've tuned it to over 600nm. I'm surprised they think that is a safe level, and also the torque limiter is at 550nm on this car, so I wonder if they have done some kind of remap of the gearbox to increase that as well.

Anyway, since I posted the last time, I've settled on the Bootmod3 flash tune (that will be out for B48 any day now), so I will order that as soon as it's released.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #37
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

I will be going with Bootmod3 also when it will be release this week (since they said before end of month).
I also went and did a resonator delete on my car to improve sound a little bit over the Dinan axleback by itself. Exhaust (without any tune currently) seem happier and more willing to burble and pop without going overboard.
      03-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #38
Yodah77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Evolution Racewerks:
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/catalog/299

Price difference is catless vs catted. You will get CEL if catless. I'm not sure if ER makes any guarantees about CEL with their catted system.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:44 PM   #39
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Just install a spark plug defouler. Its not hard....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 02:04 PM   #40
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46 View Post
Just install a spark plug defouler. Its not hard....
From what I understand that's not guaranteed to work either. But I will do that when I install a downpipe (high flow catted) soon, so we'll see how it works out for me at least I'll add bootmod3 as well, but I won't enable the "remove decat cel"-option before I have to, just to see whether the o2 spacer works.

So catless with spacer = may still get CEL.

High flow catted downpipe (with or without spacer) = may also still get CEL
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #41
CandyRedRC46
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I guess it's not a guaranteed fix, but I am Full exhaust/ Full catless, not tuned yet and the spacer/spark plug defouler has for for me for about half a year now....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #42
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
RM Motors catted (200cel) downpipe installed yesterday.

First impressions:

Fitment: Okay. The guy who installed it said "Not great, but not bad either", no big issues during the install.

Sound during cold start: Almost twice as loud, will definitely do a cold start delete when I get bootmod3.
Sound at idle: Slightly deeper note and about 20-30% louder.
Sound during cruising: Almost the same, no additional drone, but slightly louder when going uphill.
Sound during acceleration: Maybe 20% louder, and a slightly harder, more race-like sound.

With regards to the sound changes reported above: Please notice that I already had a custom exhaust (mid muffler delete and replaced main muffler with an open, high flow design), sound change may be different if you're on a stock exhaust.

Performance: Basically only driven home from the garage (around 30km), so not sure. Turbo seems to spool up faster, otherwise not noticed much difference performance wise, but that wasn't expected either. Main reason for buying was to open up to allow for running Bootmod3 stage 2, plus have burbles without frying the original cat.

CEL: No CEL so far after the first 30km, but that might change. But will disable that warning when I get bootmod3 anyway.

Overall am happy so far, will report after a while.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #43
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Still no CEL after around 400km. Might still pop up, but at least that means that flashing to stock for a service will be perfectly fine without worrying about CEL.

Also an adjustment on my report on noise: Cold start is probably more like 50% louder than twice as loud.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
GoodGuyAvi
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Still no CEL after around 400km. Might still pop up, but at least that means that flashing to stock for a service will be perfectly fine without worrying about CEL.

Also an adjustment on my report on noise: Cold start is probably more like 50% louder than twice as loud.
Thank you very much for a review and your time. Thinking to get same thing now. Just kind of worry about CEL.
Keep posting please. Maybe video !? 😉☺️
Appreciate 0