F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 428i exhaust help
Studio RSR

06-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
MidLifeX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M Sport 428i

428i exhaust help

New to BMW with a 2016 428i M-Sport Package. Looking for an exhaust system. Seems like the only one available is the MPE. Does anyone have this system installed? If so, can you please post up some pics. Did a little bit of research and it seems like Akropovic makes some nice setups, unfortunately they don't make one for the 428i. Any suggestions or recommendations is greatly appreciated. Not looking to Frankenstein a system together. Would like one built specifically for my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeX View Post
New to BMW with a 2016 428i M-Sport Package. Looking for an exhaust system. Seems like the only one available is the MPE. Does anyone have this system installed? If so, can you please post up some pics. Did a little bit of research and it seems like Akropovic makes some nice setups, unfortunately they don't make one for the 428i. Any suggestions or recommendations is greatly appreciated. Not looking to Frankenstein a system together. Would like one built specifically for my vehicle.
axlebacks and most catbacks fit both 328i and 428i. there are numerous vids on youtube of axlebacks and catbacks for the n20. some of them include awe, eisenmann, borla, supersprint, dinan, magnaflow, remus, activeautowerke, innotech performance, ark grip, armytrix and a few others.

akrapovic has one for the 428i however it is in the form of the 3/435i exhaust. many here have installed 3/435i dual outlet exhausts and diffusers and even quad exhausts and diffusers.

i have a dinan myself which is very loud at cold start but sounds really good after it is warm. however it drones at certain rpms under load so i don't recommend it.

although many do not consider it loud or aggressive enough, the MPE is my recommendation because it utilizes the electronic exhaust flap and is the only one with no reports of drone. 2nd choice would be active autowerke

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
although many do not consider it loud or aggressive enough, the MPE is my recommendation because it utilizes the electronic exhaust flap and is the only one with no reports of drone. 2nd choice would be active autowerke
]
what alohasurftoad said.........and

I added an AA axleback to my F31 and love it!
      07-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 S40i

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:

Did you even bother to search? Or look? There is a sticky post on this section all about the MPE... http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790683
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanepa View Post

Did you even bother to search? Or look? There is a sticky post on this section all about the MPE... http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=790683
Thank you for your insightful assistance. As I stated earlier, I did a search which included the link you provided; however, most, if not all, the discussion was dealing with 328i's. Unless you know more than most, I think there might be a slight difference in the applications because some of the manufacturers do not list the 428i GC as being a direct fit. Then again, I am new to this whole thing, which is why I am asking for clarification. Again, thank you for your assistance.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #6
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for your insightful assistance. As I stated earlier, I did a search which included the link you provided; however, most, if not all, the discussion was dealing with 328i's. Unless you know more than most, I think there might be a slight difference in the applications because some of the manufacturers do not list the 428i GC as being a direct fit. Then again, I am new to this whole thing, which is why I am asking for clarification. Again, thank you for your assistance.
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, just wanted to help. You were asking if somebody had the MPE installed so I referred you to that post, which ncludes installation pictures of my 428i Hope you saw them...
I love the MPE, gives my car a lot of character without being too aggressive. If you want to know more about the MPE, how did I get it installed, etc, hit me with a PM. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:54 AM   #7
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, just wanted to help. You were asking if somebody had the MPE installed so I referred you to that post, which ncludes installation pictures of my 428i Hope you saw them...
I love the MPE, gives my car a lot of character without being too aggressive. If you want to know more about the MPE, how did I get it installed, etc, hit me with a PM. Cheers
All good...thanks! BTW aside from your exhaust, what else have you added to your ride?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #8
lamespoon
Rep
Drives: 428i

so the dinan exhaust drones? i never heard of that. can you please explain more Alohasurftoad.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamespoon View Post
so the dinan exhaust drones? i never heard of that. can you please explain more Alohasurftoad.
with 8-speed autotransmission at low rpms under load, usually while cruising on freeway or going up slight grades, low bassy drone occurs at 1300 1700 or 2500 rpm. it's not that loud but is quite annoying to me. cold starts are hideously loud also. i don't recommend it.

awe looks interesting but i am not going to spend $1k experimenting with different exhaust.

i say get MPE or leave it stock and remove the electronic valve plug while the left pipe valve is open.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:48 AM   #10
Project Elite
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30

I have the AWE exhaust and I can vouch for it being droneless at those RPMs. Undoubtedly one of the best exhausts ever made.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Elite View Post
I have the AWE exhaust and I can vouch for it being droneless at those RPMs. Undoubtedly one of the best exhausts ever made.
Great feedback....anxiously trying to figure out a way to get that exhaust system to Hawaii once I figure out how to get shipped here without costing me an arm, leg, and first born for shipping alone. Anyways, do you have any other mods in addition to your exhaust system? Can you give us more detailed info about your vehicle and possibly pictures? Considering adding the AWE intake along with the exhaust....thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:47 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Lots of exhausts for your car ... It really depends on what kind of sound you are trying to get

Here is a list of the exhaust brands we offer for your car
BMW Performance Exhaust
Active Autowerke
ARK
AWE Tuning
Borla
Frequency Intelligent
GTHaus
Magnaflow
REMUS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #13
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Lots of exhausts for your car ... It really depends on what kind of sound you are trying to get

Here is a list of the exhaust brands we offer for your car
BMW Performance Exhaust
Active Autowerke
ARK
AWE Tuning
Borla
Frequency Intelligent
GTHaus
Magnaflow
REMUS
Thanks....trying to work out a schedule for a trip to Vegas so I can order the AWE Exhaust and midpipe from you
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks....trying to work out a schedule for a trip to Vegas so I can order the AWE Exhaust and midpipe from you

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #15
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

OK....now that I know which exhaust system I gonna go with; here's another question:
Would adding a downpipe something I should consider? I think I am leaning towards possibly adding an intake and Dinan Stage 1 or JB4.

Caveat: I am not a racer....just an old man going through a midlife crisis; therefore, I would like to mod my vehicle without going overboard like I have with my other vehicles. Want to keep it as classy as possible with enough cajones if I decided to have some fun on a clear stretch of road
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK....now that I know which exhaust system I gonna go with; here's another question:
Would adding a downpipe something I should consider? I think I am leaning towards possibly adding an intake and Dinan Stage 1 or JB4.

Caveat: I am not a racer....just an old man going through a midlife crisis; therefore, I would like to mod my vehicle without going overboard like I have with my other vehicles. Want to keep it as classy as possible with enough cajones if I decided to have some fun on a clear stretch of road
Adding downpipe on this car is a great option because of the extra sound and power, that being said car will be emission illegal so you will probably have to switch downpipes before every inspection.

If you get downpipes, get a Jb4
If not, get the Jb stage 1

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Adding downpipe on this car is a great option because of the extra sound and power, that being said car will be emission illegal so you will probably have to switch downpipes before every inspection.

If you get downpipes, get a Jb4
If not, get the Jb stage 1
Thanks! Hawaii doesn't have emission inspections therefore this might be an great option. Any issues with having a DP with throwing out a CEL? What's the difference with a DP having or without a CAT?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! Hawaii doesn't have emission inspections therefore this might be an great option. Any issues with having a DP with throwing out a CEL? What's the difference with a DP having or without a CAT?
Without cats will be louder, give you more power, cheaper and will have a fuel smell on idle outside of the car

Catted will give you a more refined sound, about 75% of the gains you get with catless and no fuel smell

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Without cats will be louder, give you more power, cheaper and will have a fuel smell on idle outside of the car

Catted will give you a more refined sound, about 75% of the gains you get with catless and no fuel smell
Well I guess that answer that questin.....Catted is my only option if I decide to add this on.

One more question....will adding the Catted DP cause CEL to come on? Additionally, will the vehicle still have enough back pressure so that it does lose any bottom end torque?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I guess that answer that questin.....Catted is my only option if I decide to add this on.

One more question....will adding the Catted DP cause CEL to come on? Additionally, will the vehicle still have enough back pressure so that it does lose any bottom end torque?
If you get a high quality downpipe (Wagner, Fabspeed, Evolution Racewerks) you have a very good chance of not getting a CEL.

That being said, no company will give you a 100% guarantee, meaning they will not refund your money and return the product if you get a CEL.

a JB4 will hide the CEL anyways

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 01:20 AM   #21
scanepa
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Quote:
All good...thanks! BTW aside from your exhaust, what else have you added to your ride?
Just wheels. Vorsteiners vff103. Maybe i dinan sport tune and lower it just a tad.. I'd be all set...
How about you? What are you planning to do to your?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
MidLifeX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just wheels. Vorsteiners vff103. Maybe i dinan sport tune and lower it just a tad.. I'd be all set...
How about you? What are you planning to do to your?
AWE Exhaust first.....just gotta plan a trip to the mainland and pick it up cuz the shipping to Hawaii is crazy! Looking for minor mods like front lip, rear spoiler and possibly a diffuser (depending on how the AWE Exhaust installs) Researching possibilities of lowering it but if I do, it will have to include wheels and big brakes (this is gonna be the long term project because I told myself I was not gonna do any mods on this vehicle)

BTW: How do you like your wheel and tire combo? Vorsteiners looks like they make some nice wheels.
Appreciate 0