F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > 2014 328i Gear shift knob peeling/cracking. Any simple solutions?
Studio RSR

10-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #1
wsphish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

2014 328i Gear shift knob peeling/cracking. Any simple solutions?

Hi everyone,

New to the forums and BMW! 2014 328i Sedan - F30

The gear shift knob is peeling/cracking and cosmetically does not look good. Functionally it is fine. Is there an easy way for me to replace just the part that shows P, R, D, etc? I've attached a picture.

I've found some "stickers" on eBay and Amazon but they are really cheap and I can't imagine they would be a good longterm solution (if they work at all).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsphish View Post
Hi everyone,

The gear shift knob is peeling/cracking and cosmetically does not look good. Functionally it is fine. Is there an easy way for me to replace just the part that shows P, R, D, etc? I've attached a picture.

I've found some "stickers" on eBay and Amazon but they are really cheap and I can't imagine they would be a good longterm solution (if they work at all).

Your options are to get the eBay stickers or to get a new shifter. The OEM piece can't be bought separately from the shifter. That being said the OEM piece is just a sticker too. EBay ones should do fine, though you can see slight font mismatches if you have the OEM side by side. Here's my shifter with an eBay sticker:

I had custom CF work done to my shift cover, and the only way to get the OEM piece was to buy a new shift cover. I spent $5 instead. :P
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Your options are to get the eBay stickers or to get a new shifter. The OEM piece can't be bought separately from the shifter. That being said the OEM piece is just a sticker too. EBay ones should do fine, though you can see slight font mismatches if you have the OEM side by side. Here's my shifter with an eBay sticker:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

I had custom CF work done to my shift cover, and the only way to get the OEM piece was to buy a new shift cover. I spent $5 instead. :P
Share the link of sticker you are using. Looks legit to my eyes...

OP. I have the same OEM shifter available for sale if interested. Perfect condition. Removed from my personal vehicle. Pics available upon request. VERY EASY DIY to swap shifters. Search on here or YouTube. Takes 10 minutes.

Will ship ASAP to you or anyone else interested. $65 shipped ConUS via PayPal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Share the link of sticker you are using. Looks legit to my eyes...

OP. I have the same OEM shifter available for sale if interested. Perfect condition. Removed from my personal vehicle. Pics available upon request. VERY EASY DIY to swap shifters. Search on here or YouTube. Takes 10 minutes.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-ABS-M-Mot...-/173595801784

I have a stock shifter if you need too, but I can't in good conscience tell you to buy it for the sticker cover...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I just got a CPO F30 a couple of weeks ago and just noticed the other day that the film is starting to peel on mine as well. I had already planned on swapping it out for the SAT shifter, so it kinda works out for me.
      10-31-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
wsphish
Registered
Rep

Thanks...very helpful! I'll likely try replacing the sticker and then look at replacing the shifter if needed.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Sticker?

It is a piece of plastic, not a sticker, on all mine.

And the piece of plastic is available on eBay for less than $20. Just need to glue it in properly.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Thanks...very helpful! I'll likely try replacing the sticker and then look at replacing the shifter if needed.
It's not a sticker, it's a piece of plastic that's a goodly millimeter or more thick. That's what the replacements are as well. It attaches to the shifter with double sided tape. To remove it just pry it off. You might want to stop wearing chain mail gloves while driving.
The only sticker that goes there is a piece of clear protective film that should have been removed by the dealer when the car was originally prepped. My first thought was that yours was not removed and that's what's gouged, but I can't be sure of that from the picture.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
wsphish
Registered
Rep

Good to clarify...I used the term "sticker" because that is what a number of sellers list it as in their description, but I was definitely expecting something more substantial (plastic piece with adhesive). I've ordered it and will post a pic once replaced. Unfortunately it may take a month or so to arrive. I wish I was a patient person, ha ha.

To a previous comment, it absolutely looks to me like the initial protective film that would have been on the gear knob, but unfortunately it wasn't that simple...I tried 😃
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #10
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Good to clarify...I used the term "sticker" because that is what a number of sellers list it as in their description, but I was definitely expecting something more substantial (plastic piece with adhesive). I've ordered it and will post a pic once replaced. Unfortunately it may take a month or so to arrive. I wish I was a patient person, ha ha.

To a previous comment, it absolutely looks to me like the initial protective film that would have been on the gear knob, but unfortunately it wasn't that simple...I tried 😃
If you look on realoem.com you can find what they call a shifter refresh kit. It includes the silver trim, the P button, and the clear plastic piece.