F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Request: Picture of left exhaust valve controller
ARMA SPEED

09-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Request: Picture of left exhaust valve controller

So my fixing bow, part 18307620323, rusted and broke off. Just bought a replacement from the dealer but not sure how it's supposed to go on. Can't find any info on how it's supposed to go on the exhaust valve controller.

The fixing bow goes in between the electronic valve controller and the actual valve flap.

Would be very appreciative if one of you guys can snap a quick picture and either email or post here.

it's #8 in the diagram.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:17 PM   #2
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
So my fixing bow, part 18307620323, rusted and broke off. Just bought a replacement from the dealer but not sure how it's supposed to go on. Can't find any info on how it's supposed to go on the exhaust valve controller.

The fixing bow goes in between the electronic valve controller and the actual valve flap.

Would be very appreciative if one of you guys can snap a quick picture and either email or post here.

it's #8 in the diagram.

Thanks!!
Hi teapain,

There is a clear picture of this part in our VS-1 installation guide, on page 8. Here is the link:

http://cgprecision.com/cms/images/st...User_Guide.pdf

In this image you are looking from the muffler towards the tip or rear of the car. This image is on our VS-1 exhaust system so the bracket is a little different than the factory one, however the fitment of the fixing bow and actuator is identical. A few tips:

1. Make sure you check the exhaust flapper while you are down there and check that it rotates freely and isn't bound.

2. If you have started the car with the fixing bow broken, the valve will have overturned past where the fixing bow will properly align. It is designed this way to put positive spring pressure on the flap and keep it from rattling, but it will make putting the spring back in a pain. You will want to operate the actuator only slightly, so it becomes positioned in between open and closed. Then, you can align the fixing bow easily. To do this, you need to turn the power on but not start the engine. This will put the actuator in the open position. Unplug the actuator and start the engine. Briefly (<1 second) plug in the actuator within the first 30 seconds of starting the engine. The car will try to close the actuator. The key is to remove the actuator plug before it fully moves to the closed position. It may take a few tries to be quick enough at this. If you have a valve controller it is much easier, but not necessary. Once you have the actuator in an in-between position, install as shown in our manual and when you restart the car it will automatically reset the spring pressure correctly.

If you have any questions feel free to reply or PM. Regards,

CG
Appreciate 2
bmwdiy1.50
      09-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
teapain
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i XDrive

Awesome! Just what i needed! Thanks!
      09-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Glad to help
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #5
TheBlackTruth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 x-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Precision View Post
Hi teapain,

There is a clear picture of this part in our VS-1 installation guide, on page 8. Here is the link:

In this image you are looking from the muffler towards the tip or rear of the car. This image is on our VS-1 exhaust system so the bracket is a little different than the factory one, however the fitment of the fixing bow and actuator is identical. A few tips:

1. Make sure you check the exhaust flapper while you are down there and check that it rotates freely and isn't bound.

2. If you have started the car with the fixing bow broken, the valve will have overturned past where the fixing bow will properly align. It is designed this way to put positive spring pressure on the flap and keep it from rattling, but it will make putting the spring back in a pain. You will want to operate the actuator only slightly, so it becomes positioned in between open and closed. Then, you can align the fixing bow easily. To do this, you need to turn the power on but not start the engine. This will put the actuator in the open position. Unplug the actuator and start the engine. Briefly (<1 second) plug in the actuator within the first 30 seconds of starting the engine. The car will try to close the actuator. The key is to remove the actuator plug before it fully moves to the closed position. It may take a few tries to be quick enough at this. If you have a valve controller it is much easier, but not necessary. Once you have the actuator in an in-between position, install as shown in our manual and when you restart the car it will automatically reset the spring pressure correctly.

CG
Can you please, PLEASE repost this PDF?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #6
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post

it's #8 in the diagram.

Thanks!!
Hi teapain,

CG
Is there a working link for this? I'm trying to put my fixing bow back in correctly. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #7
bmwdiy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Thank YOU!!

Quote:
Hi teapain,

CG
This is the only accurate info on the internet on how to install the fixing bow. Thank you CG!

A of tip from a newbie: It was much easier to unbolt the actuator (3 10mm nuts) and then try to get it into an in-between open & close position otherwise you have to lay under the car all the time trying to plug the connector for a micro-second . By the way it took me atleast 10 tries to get the actuator in an in-between position. The actuator will be hanging when you turn on the ignition and weight of the actuator would be on the connector wire, which I think is fine for short duration.

Last edited by bmwdiy; 05-22-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:15 AM   #8
viktorhanacek
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Hi teapain,

CG
Hello CG Precision, it looks like you understand the valves logic very well. Can I ask you for help? Did you ever see that the valve is not fully closing after “initial check” when engine start? I have F86, custom exhaust, electronic actuators, and only left valve is doing this. Not always, but very often. I also switched actuators side by side and no change. When this occur, the left actuator (and valve) is loose, and when I simply open and close the valve via M1 button, then everything is ok.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorhanacek View Post
Quote:
Hi teapain,

http://cgprecision.com/cms/images/stories/docs/VS-1_User_Guide.pdf

CG
Hello CG Precision, it looks like you understand the valves logic very well. Can I ask you for help? Did you ever see that the valve is not fully closing after “initial check” when engine start? I have F86, custom exhaust, electronic actuators, and only left valve is doing this. Not always, but very often. I also switched actuators side by side and no change. When this occur, the left actuator (and valve) is loose, and when I simply open and close the valve via M1 button, then everything is ok.
that guy hasn't been here in 4 years. not many of us know the setup on the M cars buddy. you should ask in those forums.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0