F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i Touring Transmission Shudder NO CURE :-(
GetBMWParts

01-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
BungieHD
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

340i Touring Transmission Shudder NO CURE :-(

Having replaced the transmission (re-manufactured NOT new!) BMW (via dealer) tell me I am stuck with the shudder effect (engine judders/shakes) when shifting up from 1st to 2nd. They tell me they reproduced it on another saloon and touring. So I buy a new car and it has a bug they can't fix and it has a re manufactured transmission that did not cure the fault, I could have kept the original. So some one out there will get an almost brand new re-manufactured auto-box from my donor car..........

No one else had this?

DON'T BUY A BMW!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

https://media.rac.co.uk/pressrelease...rchase-1226893

"Up to six months from the original sale date..."
Perhaps if you'd gone this route when the problem first occurred, you might've had some recourse.

Interesting strategy saying "DON'T BUY A BMW!" on a BMW-owners forum. :
IK6SPEED4481.50
      01-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Had a buddy with the same issue, it was the transfer case, not the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Interesting strategy saying "DON'T BUY A BMW!" on a BMW-owners forum.
I've been known to say it :-)

From what the others have said maybe that was not the problem? Maybe your state has lemon laws?

I have a manual transmission and therefore avoid all of the automatic woes
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very unusual outcome. The problem was reproduced on 2 vehicles and BMW UK refuses to further diagnose the problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

I'd have to agree - my transfer case was replaced under goodwill since the broker had a relationship with BMW NA.

The reality is - these cars are best to lease only - period. Not for long term ownership unless you enjoy rolling the dice.

Evidently in Canada most all BMW's are leased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
BungieHD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Very unusual outcome. The problem was reproduced on 2 vehicles and BMW UK refuses to further diagnose the problem?
Yes that is correct!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungieHD View Post
Quote:
Yes that is correct!
In the US, customer can open a PUMA case with BMW NA (North America). Such issues will be investigated.

What's the process in UK?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungieHD View Post
Yes that is correct!
Have they mentioned driving technique? Who tested your car and the other examples? Who said there is no cure?

So what is BMW's reasoning? There must be some plausible explanation. In my experience, BMW field engineers (if one has been involved) are usually pretty good and will communicate their conclusions.

My BMW's have not been perfect, but BMW have responded when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In the US, customer can open a PUMA case with BMW NA (North America). Such issues will be investigated.

Same here. A lot does depend on how proactive a dealer is. Some are much more involved with BMW UK, and Area Technical Managers will get involved when necessary.

I had an usual case where my HVAC system behaved strangely. Dealer tried parts, didn't change anything. BMW got involved, a Field Engineer came up to Scotland and installed a data logger in the car. Data was examined by BMW in Germany and the outside designers of the system were also involved. The Area Technical Manager met with me, at my dealer, to explain the findings.

Couldn't fault the garage or BMW procedures at all. They even sent a new car up from BMW HQ for me to use while they did some tests on the car.

With another BMW I had an engine issue. BMW UK got involved and scanned the whole PUMA database, looking for a similar problem. BMW UK's engine 'guru' by-passed the dealer, (not my usual one), actually phoned me direct, to get my take on what had happened. Most reassuring when a guy with authority confirms my BMW will get a new engine, if it needs one, once procedures are followed.
Appreciate 1
jh_f301306.00
      01-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

@HighlandPete, thanks for sharing the details. The process in UK seems identical to the one in the US.

Once PUMA case is open, the dealer waits for the field engineer to arrive and examine the car.

I think it's worth pursuing.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #12
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

Same here. A lot does depend on how proactive a dealer is. Some are much more involved with BMW UK, and Area Technical Managers will get involved when necessary.

I had an usual case where my HVAC system behaved strangely. Dealer tried parts, didn't change anything. BMW got involved, a Field Engineer came up to Scotland and installed a data logger in the car. Data was examined by BMW in Germany and the outside designers of the system were also involved. The Area Technical Manager met with me, at my dealer, to explain the findings.

Couldn't fault the garage or BMW procedures at all. They even sent a new car up from BMW HQ for me to use while they did some tests on the car.

With another BMW I had an engine issue. BMW UK got involved and scanned the whole PUMA database, looking for a similar problem. BMW UK's engine 'guru' by-passed the dealer, (not my usual one), actually phoned me direct, to get my take on what had happened. Most reassuring when a guy with authority confirms my BMW will get a new engine, if it needs one, once procedures are followed.
Sounds like they really took care of you!
      01-20-2020, 08:00 AM   #13
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

Demand a field engineer inspection with written report. Hire a lawyer and tell dealer he'll be going to court unless they fix the car or agree to take it back.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Sounds like they really took care of you!
Yes, BMW have on the whole, done well. Both with new car and extended warranties.

What helps is a good relationship with a BMW garage and all the staff who get involved. Be reasonable, work with the dealer and BMW, keep them onside. If it stalls, move up the hierarchy in BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #15
BungieHD
Rep

Thanks for the comments. Well the dealer was quite reasonable and told me they were in touch with "BMW Technical" I'm not sure if they are in the UK or Germany. They simply say (service adviser Dick Lovett) there is no cure! I wrote to BMW UK (customer service centre Slough) with a "signed for" letter and no response was ever received. The problem is not prevalent unless I drive quickly and so on congested British roads I don't experience the problem but it remains a very disappointing flaw in a newly purchased car :-(
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #16
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
The reality is - these cars are best to lease only - period. Not for long term ownership unless you enjoy rolling the dice.

Evidently in Canada most all BMW's are leased.
Couldn't you say that about all cars though? And forums like these are always going to skew things somewhat - you won't generally hear from all the happy owners who've had many years of trouble free motoring.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but always felt leasing is a rip off. You pay circa £25k over 4 years for a F30/G20, only to hand the car back with nothing to show for it. Sure you get a shiny new car with the warranty and free servicing (peanuts these days, now that it's every 18 months or so) but personally I'd rather my 2.5 year old 340i for 25k (with a 12 month bmw warranty) that's mine for keeps. At 7k miles when I bought, surely I'd be very unlucky to have a major problem during the next 40-50k miles?

Appreciate your point, in that you get the peace of warranty mind, but damn, you pay for that! I've always patiently saved up and bought outright, and have had ten years in BMWs without major mechanical incident. And if I periodically change for something similar, I trade in/sell privately and have to "only" find 10k every 3-4 years.
Appreciate 0