F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Wifi Agent DIY Alternate Method
GetBMWParts

05-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #89
dieselg5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
I think so. It ran through and then rebooted. I've wiped and reflashed the card, and gone through the whole process a few times and can't seem to get anywhere. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all of this. But, typically in situations like this I can get by, by following instructions. But if things don't go well I'm not familiar enough to know why.

I've set it up. Picked a country. Set the wifi to my phones hotspot. (With a keyboard and it plugged into my TV). It connects to my phone (which is named bootmod3). It will run the script. I've tried setting it to auto login. It will connect to my phones hotspot. But the Bootmod3 app doesn't see it. I tried uninstalling the app (on my phone) and reinstalling it. I'm using Android. Idk if that matters. S9+.
It's not you, there was an error in the most recent update to the script. I rewrote it from scratch with menus and a lot more features. I'll update OP soon, but for anyone having issues, follow the steps below:

Copy this line into the terminal without the quotes and press enter:
"wget -q -nc https://www.dropbox.com/s/n57o7xxaerbh605/bm3_installer_v1.0.sh && sudo bash bm3_installer_v1.0.sh"

If you want to repair an installation, choose option 2. If it’s a newly flashed image, use option 1.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by dieselg5; 05-14-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #90
Asmodeus
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselg5 View Post
It's not you, there was an error in the most recent update to the script. I rewrote it from scratch with menus and a lot more features. I'll update OP soon, but for anyone having issues, follow the steps below:

Copy this line into the terminal without the quotes and press enter:
"wget -q -nc https://www.dropbox.com/s/n57o7xxaer...taller_v1.0.sh && sudo bash bm3_installer_v1.0.sh"

If you want to repair an installation, choose option 2. If it’s a newly flashed image, use option 1.

Let me know how it goes.
I'll try it now. This is what I got running the repair. The app still doesn't detect the agent even when it's plugged in to the car. It's obviously further along than it was, as the cron log command wasn't doing anything before. This cable works on my laptop with BM3. It's connected to my hotspot...

So I wiped it all. Fresh install on card. Ran script as new. Set everything back up. Doesn't detect the cable now. When I run the cronlog command it just breezes through it and tells me too make sure it is DHCP profile.

And ran the repair again. Still nada. Went advanced. Tried to update the client, it hit a dead end. Reinstalled something from another option. Nada. Unplugged the enet cable. Uninstalled the app. Plugged it back in. Cable found in log. Agent up. App still doesn't detect the client. Lol!
Attached Images

Last edited by Asmodeus; 05-14-2020 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 05:48 AM   #91
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'll try it now. This is what I got running the repair. The app still doesn't detect the agent even when it's plugged in to the car. It's obviously further along than it was, as the cron log command wasn't doing anything before. This cable works on my laptop with BM3. It's connected to my hotspot...

So I wiped it all. Fresh install on card. Ran script as new. Set everything back up. Doesn't detect the cable now. When I run the cronlog command it just breezes through it and tells me too make sure it is DHCP profile.

And ran the repair again. Still nada. Went advanced. Tried to update the client, it hit a dead end. Reinstalled something from another option. Nada. Unplugged the enet cable. Uninstalled the app. Plugged it back in. Cable found in log. Agent up. App still doesn't detect the client. Lol!
Hmm. It looks like the agent is running on your pi correctly. Can you try using it without the hotspot and see if it works? Connect the raspberry pi and your phone to your home wifi network and see if the app on your phone detects it that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #92
Asmodeus
Rep

Ok that didn't work either. So I went and downloaded the software from Bootmod3. Wiped the card. Installed it like you would for a pi3. Ran raspi-config, set country, ssh, set my PW, and changed wifi to bootmod3. Rebooted it and the app detected it, but it wasn't plugged in. Went and plugged it into the car and it worked. So. It appears the traditional method works.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #93
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ok that didn't work either. So I went and downloaded the software from Bootmod3. Wiped the card. Installed it like you would for a pi3. Ran raspi-config, set country, ssh, set my PW, and changed wifi to bootmod3. Rebooted it and the app detected it, but it wasn't plugged in. Went and plugged it into the car and it worked. So. It appears the traditional method works.
That's good to hear, I'm glad you got it working.

Side note: I think i figured out the issue and I updated OP in case anyone is wondering.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #94
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Cool on the update. My Pi4 been working with old script since day one. Very convenient to do a quick log or changing settings compare to having a notebook in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #95
Asmodeus
Rep

Quote:
That's good to hear, I'm glad you got it working.

Side note: I think i figured out the issue and I updated OP in case anyone is wondering.
It's all good. I appreciate you trying to help, and going through all the trouble for everyone that builds their own.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #96
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Any USB power issues with users running with RPi 4? Looking to give this a go but having a hard time buying RPi 3 when that are the same price. TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #97
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I just saw this update from PTF Facebook website site

UPDATE:

Short version:
OBD Agent software major new update in closed testing. Compared to current its significantly faster, smaller, and runs inside the mobile apps for iOS and Android. Direct ENET cable connection with the mobile app works and will now be the 4th way to connect and use bm3 with your vehicle 🥳

Long version:
Geeky details here but if you enjoy some of the details here they are. Over the past while we did a major rewrite on our OBD Agent software to enable some new upcoming features but also take some of the existing to the next level.

The new OBD Agent like the current runs everywhere but its significantly faster to start and detect a vehicle. Example: on an average macbook pro the old agent takes about 1.5-2 seconds to start up. Not many care about this as on a laptop its negligible. However, on a small device such as the hardware wifi agent it takes 30x longer roughly from the time its powered over a USB connection (around 40-45seconds for it to come up). The new agent software has improved startup/detection dramatically, on the same laptop where it took 1.5-2 seconds it now takes 0.0003 secs 🙂 you can imagine how much quicker it’ll run on the hardware agent with this huge boost.

What we also managed to, and confirmed working, is embed the new OBD Agent inside the mobile apps for iOS and Android. ENET cable hooked directly to the phone or tablet now works as well for those that would like to connect and use it that way. While this is a really nice convenience option which removes the need to buy or build your own OBD hardware agent, with the hardware OBD Agent’s flashing process you’re never worried about a call coming in mid flash and you don’t need to do “Airplane mode” etc which is typical with other flasher apps out there that rely on their flasher implementation being only inside their app itself. If a call comes in, phone battery dies or they close the app the flash gets interrupted 😒😞😂

Given new OBD Agent’s speed and very small memory footprint we’ll be testing it with the tiny but very badass, low power consumption version of the Pi, the Raspberry Pi Zero W. Tiny bm3 dongle coming? Certainly a possibility now 🙂

Along with the new advanced tuning editor for the desktop, new obd agent, some new web UI features, custom dme code to enable new features, sensor integration, we’re excited to see how it all ends up out there in the wild 💪💪 #bootmod3 #bm3

What you guys think.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:12 PM   #98
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
Any USB power issues with users running with RPi 4? Looking to give this a go but having a hard time buying RPi 3 when that are the same price. TIA
I would recommend a car lighter adapter that can provide at least 3A.
Appreciate 1
Yessir371.50
      05-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #99
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post

UPDATE:

Short version:
OBD Agent software major new update in closed testing. Compared to current its significantly faster, smaller, and runs inside the mobile apps for iOS and Android. Direct ENET cable connection with the mobile app works and will now be the 4th way to connect and use bm3 with your vehicle 🥳

Long version:
Geeky details here but if you enjoy some of the details here they are. Over the past while we did a major rewrite on our OBD Agent software to enable some new upcoming features but also take some of the existing to the next level.

The new OBD Agent like the current runs everywhere but its significantly faster to start and detect a vehicle. Example: on an average macbook pro the old agent takes about 1.5-2 seconds to start up. Not many care about this as on a laptop its negligible. However, on a small device such as the hardware wifi agent it takes 30x longer roughly from the time its powered over a USB connection (around 40-45seconds for it to come up). The new agent software has improved startup/detection dramatically, on the same laptop where it took 1.5-2 seconds it now takes 0.0003 secs 🙂 you can imagine how much quicker it’ll run on the hardware agent with this huge boost.

What we also managed to, and confirmed working, is embed the new OBD Agent inside the mobile apps for iOS and Android. ENET cable hooked directly to the phone or tablet now works as well for those that would like to connect and use it that way. While this is a really nice convenience option which removes the need to buy or build your own OBD hardware agent, with the hardware OBD Agent’s flashing process you’re never worried about a call coming in mid flash and you don’t need to do “Airplane mode” etc which is typical with other flasher apps out there that rely on their flasher implementation being only inside their app itself. If a call comes in, phone battery dies or they close the app the flash gets interrupted 😒😞😂

Given new OBD Agent’s speed and very small memory footprint we’ll be testing it with the tiny but very badass, low power consumption version of the Pi, the Raspberry Pi Zero W. Tiny bm3 dongle coming? Certainly a possibility now 🙂

Along with the new advanced tuning editor for the desktop, new obd agent, some new web UI features, custom dme code to enable new features, sensor integration, we’re excited to see how it all ends up out there in the wild 💪💪 #bootmod3 #bm3

What you guys think.
Interesting stuff. I'm glad they'll finally be able to run the agent on the phone itself. Seems silly that they haven't been able to do that already.

Quote:
Given new OBD Agent’s speed and very small memory footprint we’ll be testing it with the tiny but very badass, low power consumption version of the Pi, the Raspberry Pi Zero W
I already have it running on a Raspberry Pi zero W
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #100
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would recommend a car lighter adapter that can provide at least 3A.
Thanks, now an update coming? Want to tinker but feel I should just wait it out now.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #101
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, now an update coming? Want to tinker but feel I should just wait it out now.
There's no reason not to try it out now. The independent BM3 WiFi agent works now and will continue to work in the future. And it takes only minutes to setup.

The only reason would be if you don't want to buy a Raspberry Pi.
Appreciate 1
Yessir371.50
      05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #102
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

If you already have one then continue trying to fix it... but if you one of people making one from scratch then wait a little bit you might not need it at all when the new version comes out.
Appreciate 1
Yessir371.50
      05-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #103
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's no reason not to try it out now. The independent BM3 WiFi agent works now and will continue to work in the future. And it takes only minutes to setup.

The only reason would be if you don't want to buy a Raspberry Pi.
Quote:
If you already have one then continue trying to fix it... but if you one of people making one from scratch then wait a little bit you might not need it at all when the new version comes out.
This is precisely the issue. Was going to build from scratch and have to buy Raspberry Pi. I have some spare SD cards and wires laying around and found this thread with so much useful info, I felt intrigued to tinker. I'm a Raspberry Pi newb and had no idea the broad applications for this device. Might try and tinker with something else, like Pi-hole for my home network and wait to see what PTF has coming up. Thanks for the encouragement 😊
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #104
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Quote:

UPDATE:

Short version:

Long version:

What you guys think.
Interesting stuff. I'm glad they'll finally be able to run the agent on the phone itself. Seems silly that they haven't been able to do that already.

Quote:
Given new OBD Agent’s speed and very small memory footprint we’ll be testing it with the tiny but very badass, low power consumption version of the Pi, the Raspberry Pi Zero W
I already have it running on a Raspberry Pi zero W
I have it on a pi zero too. That tiny dongle might be a good improvement though.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #105
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:
Nope. My USB power adapter is rated at 5V 2.5A. Just do not overclock and plug any USB devices to to RPi.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #106
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Same here, i have the Pi3 but i'm always having to update my SD card with the new agent SW off my Mac..I really hope u can do the Enet to Iphone as i bought the Ethernet dongle adaptor off Ebay already...
      05-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #107
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Same here, i have the Pi3 but i'm always having to update my SD card with the new agent SW off my Mac..I really hope u can do the Enet to Iphone as i bought the Ethernet dongle adaptor off Ebay already...
Why not update the agent through the app?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:33 AM   #108
Btdubs1
Rep
Drives: 328i

b
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #109
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Why not update the agent through the app?
As far as i know, unless PTF has updated with that option, using the Pi3 model B can only be updated on the SD card. The app gets updated when you reinsert the card and hook up your phone, at least that was when i was using it about 10 days ago or so..

Last edited by DadzBmer_N2o; 05-20-2020 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #110
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
As far as i know, unless PTF has updated with that option, using the Pi can only be updated on the SD card. The app gets updated when you reinsert the card and hook up your phone, at least that was when i was using it about 10 days ago or so..
I don't understand what you mean. You can update the app on the phone and the agent running on the Pi from your phone. You only need to setup/flash the SD card on your Pi once.
Appreciate 0