F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Useless Automatic High Beams
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
johnsimion
Registered
1
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 435i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

iTrader: (0)

Useless Automatic High Beams

I ordered my 435i with the package that combines LED headlamps and automatic high beams. The LED lights are good enough but the automatic high beams are really disappointing. I live within city limits, but it's a semi-rural area with huge lots and no street lights where high beams can almost always be used. The automatic feature for the high beams doesn't come on automatically -- you have to remember to turn it on. That's a stupid design feature, but I can live with that. What really irks me is that the automatic high beams are almost useless even when I do remember to turn them on, due to excessive sensitivity. They almost never let the lights go bright, and when they do, they'll dim for almost anything -- a porch light, a car two miles away, taillights a mile away, someone lighting a cigarette, just about any microscopic source of light is enough to negate the high beams (okay, I exaggerate a little but they will definitely dim for taillights that are a three blocks ahead, which is way more than necessary). I am a polite driver and I always dim my high beams when I'm even remotely close to someone, but these automatic high beams are 100 times more sensitive. At first I thought they weren't working at all -- it's that bad. As they are now, they are essentially a worthless option. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity on these things?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
ah3
Private
12
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 435GC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Don't think you can change sensitivity but you should code for Active High Beam Assist (Anti-Dazzle) and Active Light Distribution. After I code for those features it became very useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
2237
Rep
3,774
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3
Don't think you can change sensitivity but you should code for Active High Beam Assist (Anti-Dazzle) and Active Light Distribution. After I code for those features it became very useful.
+1

If you're not sure what that is, Google it. It's not DOT spec, which is why it's coded out here in the states, but you can code it back in very easily. Essentially the high beams will stay on, but the lamps will lower themselves or turn themselves individually, based on light input.

This link to the video might work:
__________________
2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (incoming)

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
<b>2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS</b>
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
auf Deutsch's Avatar
United_States
1899
Rep
2,209
Posts

Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Philly burbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Glad I didn't opt for this option, albeit a cheap one that would have maybe raised my monthly by around $5. I was always skeptical on how accurate this technology would be in the real world.
__________________
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
2237
Rep
3,774
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche
Glad I didn't opt for this option, albeit a cheap one that would have maybe raised my monthly by around $5. I was always skeptical on how accurate this technology would be in the real world.
The anti-dazzle is great, the auto high beams, not so much.
__________________
2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (incoming)

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
<b>2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS</b>
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
300hp
Brigadier General
284
Rep
3,619
Posts

Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I have this feature on my E70 and it's very well executed on that truck. For example if someone is about to overtake me and the high beams are on, the minute their tail light is by my front tire it switches to dim. It will stay in dim until their tail lights are out of sight. If I am alone on the road and there are distant street lamps the head lights will be on bright and the street lamps will not interfere with the function. Only moving lights will change the setting


In the E70 it's by far one of the best executed features I have seen on any car.

I am surprised this was not executed well in the F3Xs with newer technology
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
124
Rep
2,263
Posts

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
The anti-dazzle is great, the auto high beams, not so much.
Agree. Once coded for Anti Dazzle, it becomes the best $250 you ever spent on the car. Awesome!
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black M-Sport 335i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
TMD29
Don't care
TMD29's Avatar
United_States
105
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3 View Post
Don't think you can change sensitivity but you should code for Active High Beam Assist (Anti-Dazzle) and Active Light Distribution. After I code for those features it became very useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
F32 N55
Colonel
605
Rep
2,279
Posts

Drives: '15 AW F32 N55 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2014
Location: in my garage.

iTrader: (0)

I think the auto high beam works fantastic.

It's great for bombing back roads, it's one less thing i have to worry about. Set it and forget it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
648
Rep
3,070
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

It sounds like you're attempting to use it in a situation where the average person wouldn't be using high beams. It's likely intended for dark, rural roads, not an urban or even "semi-rural?" setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
Lost Horizon
Captain
Lost Horizon's Avatar
Canada
24
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Victoria BC

iTrader: (0)

I find the A on the signal stock with the Xenons works fine, and I do rural, suburb and city stuff all the time. Might be a different problem with the lobotomized LED setup for North America. All that happens with the Xenon's is the shutters move up or down, which happens nearly instantaneously. Zero Warm up between modes, so perhaps it can take more chances going to High beam without agonizing over that street light or whatever... .

me happy with the setup.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
423
Rep
3,019
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 & 2016 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
I ordered my 435i with the package that combines LED headlamps and automatic high beams. The LED lights are good enough but the automatic high beams are really disappointing. I live within city limits, but it's a semi-rural area with huge lots and no street lights where high beams can almost always be used. The automatic feature for the high beams doesn't come on automatically -- you have to remember to turn it on. That's a stupid design feature, but I can live with that. What really irks me is that the automatic high beams are almost useless even when I do remember to turn them on, due to excessive sensitivity. They almost never let the lights go bright, and when they do, they'll dim for almost anything -- a porch light, a car two miles away, taillights a mile away, someone lighting a cigarette, just about any microscopic source of light is enough to negate the high beams (okay, I exaggerate a little but they will definitely dim for taillights that are a three blocks ahead, which is way more than necessary). I am a polite driver and I always dim my high beams when I'm even remotely close to someone, but these automatic high beams are 100 times more sensitive. At first I thought they weren't working at all -- it's that bad. As they are now, they are essentially a worthless option. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity on these things?

Mine work fine for the xenon. One of my most favorite features of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #13
johnsimion
Registered
1
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 435i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It sounds like you're attempting to use it in a situation where the average person wouldn't be using high beams. It's likely intended for dark, rural roads, not an urban or even "semi-rural?" setting.
In my situation, there are no street lights. These are narrow uncurbed streets and the houses themselves are generally on acre lots. They may have porch lights but the houses are set back fairly far from the road. The only time I wouldn't use brights under my own control would be oncoming traffic or another car less than 500 feet ahead of me. I hear what you're saying about dark, rural roads, but these streets are daaarrrkkk. It would be very rare to encounter any street or highway much darker anywhere I've lived in America, which encompasses several states. The auto-dimming feature will dim the brights based on the reflection of a stop sign or often just a porch light is enough to trigger it. Maybe they are useful out in the middle of Kansas on a night with no moon, but I don't think the average driver encounters such conditions very often -- which makes this feature nearly useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Ali Shiralian's Avatar
Canada
797
Rep
1,991
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Owen sound, Ontario, canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
I think the auto high beam works fantastic.

It's great for bombing back roads, it's one less thing i have to worry about. Set it and forget it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #15
spuntyb
Brigadier General
spuntyb's Avatar
United_States
2237
Rep
3,774
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It sounds like you're attempting to use it in a situation where the average person wouldn't be using high beams. It's likely intended for dark, rural roads, not an urban or even "semi-rural?" setting.
In my situation, there are no street lights. These are narrow uncurbed streets and the houses themselves are generally on acre lots. They may have porch lights but the houses are set back fairly far from the road. The only time I wouldn't use brights under my own control would be oncoming traffic or another car less than 500 feet ahead of me. I hear what you're saying about dark, rural roads, but these streets are daaarrrkkk. It would be very rare to encounter any street or highway much darker anywhere I've lived in America, which encompasses several states. The auto-dimming feature will dim the brights based on the reflection of a stop sign or often just a porch light is enough to trigger it. Maybe they are useful out in the middle of Kansas on a night with no moon, but I don't think the average driver encounters such conditions very often -- which makes this feature nearly useless.
Anti-dazzle coding will fix the problem. I know exactly what you mean, and you're right. Auto high beams are essentially worthless in that circumstance. I got the option solely so that I could get anti-dazzle coded, which is infinitely more useful.
__________________
2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (incoming)

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
<b>2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS</b>
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST