F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Useless Automatic High Beams

01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
johnsimion
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Useless Automatic High Beams

I ordered my 435i with the package that combines LED headlamps and automatic high beams. The LED lights are good enough but the automatic high beams are really disappointing. I live within city limits, but it's a semi-rural area with huge lots and no street lights where high beams can almost always be used. The automatic feature for the high beams doesn't come on automatically -- you have to remember to turn it on. That's a stupid design feature, but I can live with that. What really irks me is that the automatic high beams are almost useless even when I do remember to turn them on, due to excessive sensitivity. They almost never let the lights go bright, and when they do, they'll dim for almost anything -- a porch light, a car two miles away, taillights a mile away, someone lighting a cigarette, just about any microscopic source of light is enough to negate the high beams (okay, I exaggerate a little but they will definitely dim for taillights that are a three blocks ahead, which is way more than necessary). I am a polite driver and I always dim my high beams when I'm even remotely close to someone, but these automatic high beams are 100 times more sensitive. At first I thought they weren't working at all -- it's that bad. As they are now, they are essentially a worthless option. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity on these things?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
ah3
Private
Rep
Drives: 435GC

Don't think you can change sensitivity but you should code for Active High Beam Assist (Anti-Dazzle) and Active Light Distribution. After I code for those features it became very useful.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3
Don't think you can change sensitivity but you should code for Active High Beam Assist (Anti-Dazzle) and Active Light Distribution. After I code for those features it became very useful.
+1

If you're not sure what that is, Google it. It's not DOT spec, which is why it's coded out here in the states, but you can code it back in very easily. Essentially the high beams will stay on, but the lamps will lower themselves or turn themselves individually, based on light input.

This link to the video might work:

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
<b>2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS</b>
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Glad I didn't opt for this option, albeit a cheap one that would have maybe raised my monthly by around $5. I was always skeptical on how accurate this technology would be in the real world.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche
Glad I didn't opt for this option, albeit a cheap one that would have maybe raised my monthly by around $5. I was always skeptical on how accurate this technology would be in the real world.
The anti-dazzle is great, the auto high beams, not so much.

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

I have this feature on my E70 and it's very well executed on that truck. For example if someone is about to overtake me and the high beams are on, the minute their tail light is by my front tire it switches to dim. It will stay in dim until their tail lights are out of sight. If I am alone on the road and there are distant street lamps the head lights will be on bright and the street lamps will not interfere with the function. Only moving lights will change the setting

In the E70 it's by far one of the best executed features I have seen on any car.

I am surprised this was not executed well in the F3Xs with newer technology

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
The anti-dazzle is great, the auto high beams, not so much.
Agree. Once coded for Anti Dazzle, it becomes the best $250 you ever spent on the car. Awesome!
      01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah3 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
F32 N55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW F32 N55 M-Sport

I think the auto high beam works fantastic.

It's great for bombing back roads, it's one less thing i have to worry about. Set it and forget it.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

It sounds like you're attempting to use it in a situation where the average person wouldn't be using high beams. It's likely intended for dark, rural roads, not an urban or even "semi-rural?" setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #11
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

I find the A on the signal stock with the Xenons works fine, and I do rural, suburb and city stuff all the time. Might be a different problem with the lobotomized LED setup for North America. All that happens with the Xenon's is the shutters move up or down, which happens nearly instantaneously. Zero Warm up between modes, so perhaps it can take more chances going to High beam without agonizing over that street light or whatever... .

me happy with the setup.
      01-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 & 2016 X5 35i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
I ordered my 435i with the package that combines LED headlamps and automatic high beams. The LED lights are good enough but the automatic high beams are really disappointing. I live within city limits, but it's a semi-rural area with huge lots and no street lights where high beams can almost always be used. The automatic feature for the high beams doesn't come on automatically -- you have to remember to turn it on. That's a stupid design feature, but I can live with that. What really irks me is that the automatic high beams are almost useless even when I do remember to turn them on, due to excessive sensitivity. They almost never let the lights go bright, and when they do, they'll dim for almost anything -- a porch light, a car two miles away, taillights a mile away, someone lighting a cigarette, just about any microscopic source of light is enough to negate the high beams (okay, I exaggerate a little but they will definitely dim for taillights that are a three blocks ahead, which is way more than necessary). I am a polite driver and I always dim my high beams when I'm even remotely close to someone, but these automatic high beams are 100 times more sensitive. At first I thought they weren't working at all -- it's that bad. As they are now, they are essentially a worthless option. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity on these things?

Mine work fine for the xenon. One of my most favorite features of the F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #13
johnsimion
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
It sounds like you're attempting to use it in a situation where the average person wouldn't be using high beams. It's likely intended for dark, rural roads, not an urban or even "semi-rural?" setting.
In my situation, there are no street lights. These are narrow uncurbed streets and the houses themselves are generally on acre lots. They may have porch lights but the houses are set back fairly far from the road. The only time I wouldn't use brights under my own control would be oncoming traffic or another car less than 500 feet ahead of me. I hear what you're saying about dark, rural roads, but these streets are daaarrrkkk. It would be very rare to encounter any street or highway much darker anywhere I've lived in America, which encompasses several states. The auto-dimming feature will dim the brights based on the reflection of a stop sign or often just a porch light is enough to trigger it. Maybe they are useful out in the middle of Kansas on a night with no moon, but I don't think the average driver encounters such conditions very often -- which makes this feature nearly useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #14
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
I think the auto high beam works fantastic.

It's great for bombing back roads, it's one less thing i have to worry about. Set it and forget it.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #15
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
In my situation, there are no street lights. These are narrow uncurbed streets and the houses themselves are generally on acre lots. They may have porch lights but the houses are set back fairly far from the road. The only time I wouldn't use brights under my own control would be oncoming traffic or another car less than 500 feet ahead of me. I hear what you're saying about dark, rural roads, but these streets are daaarrrkkk. It would be very rare to encounter any street or highway much darker anywhere I've lived in America, which encompasses several states. The auto-dimming feature will dim the brights based on the reflection of a stop sign or often just a porch light is enough to trigger it. Maybe they are useful out in the middle of Kansas on a night with no moon, but I don't think the average driver encounters such conditions very often -- which makes this feature nearly useless.
Anti-dazzle coding will fix the problem. I know exactly what you mean, and you're right. Auto high beams are essentially worthless in that circumstance. I got the option solely so that I could get anti-dazzle coded, which is infinitely more useful.

<b>2018 Macan GTS</b>
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0