F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > what upgrades to give type R levels of handling?
ARMA SPEED

09-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #45
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
I've used a combination of Megan and Godspeed because I couldn't find any other options a couple years ago when I did them. I know a lot of people will say they're cheap or not well made. They don't seem premium, are sealed and robust enough. And I'm not sure the mileage I've put on them. Probably somewhere north of 20k, and they've made it through winter and track use. They make a good bang for the buck mod. I'd use them again.
I also used Megan and Godspeed for the same reason, they've been fine for about 2 years now. Yellow PowerFlex rear subframe bushing inserts as well as rear Swaybar when i installed my coilovers. Handles so much better, much flatter around corners now.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #46
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
so what bushings do i need?
im' going to plunge into ISTA to understanding how many and where located.

EDIT: useful diagram below from powerflex. Looks like the ones i should change when replacing the sway bars (that make sense to change at the same time, excluding the sway bar ones as they come with the kit), are just 19 + 20 = the rear subframe front + rear bushes.

The rest i can do on my own if i feel the need to, without having to do anything complicated like lowering subframes. Right?

browsing around the forums, looks like i should look into
- rear subframe bushings - Solid delrin https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...shing-Set.html

or https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ame-mount-kit/

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...-f22-2-series/ alternative?

A number of forum posts i've come across suggest that these bushes are not suitable for street, because of the additional bumps etc.. not found on a track. And therefore could deform and give me a headache.
I need to find out if these rear subframe bushings will be useable for daily road use and not cause damage....... the car will be doing anywhere up to 10000 miles annually.

- rear differential bushing (going to ignore for now)
- front control arm bushings. (VAC monoball)

furthmore, reading around, it sounds like Monoball might be my best bet due to excess wear reported on control arm poly bushes? according to a post by Watsey

if you're tracking the car, you should consider KMAC caster and camber adjustable bushings...I have their camber adjustable bushing and so far its doing the job.

Ive never used the monoballs so can't speak to them. the monoballs are a low maintenance solution so if you don't want adjustment, this is a good option for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:56 AM   #47
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Remember the rules.
Bigger front bar adds understeer, bigger rear bar adds oversteer..
Bigger rear tire adds understeer, bigger front adds understeer.

That’s why you see people upgrading only the rear bar and saying it is fine. They added more understeer with staggered wheel sizes and larger rear tires, and the bigger rear bar dials that back out and some extra to get rid of the “safety margin” of extra understeer cars have factory.
That and some people who grew up in the analog days are simply more comfortable with neutral to super mild oversteer.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0