F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Should I bother with an intercooler upgrade?
proTUNING Freaks

05-29-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Should I bother with an intercooler upgrade?

I've had my 335i GT for 4 years now. It has the MPPK and MPE, but nothing more aggressive (and no such plans).

This is my first turbo-charged car, and it's honestly taken me a few years to really become attuned to the way it performs (or doesn't). That's my excuse for only recently noticing the correlation between temperature and performance ‒ particularly the way that the car seems to "come alive" when the temperature is cooler. Unfortunately I live in Texas, so those cooler days aren't exactly common.

Does an intercooler upgrade make sense in this situation? I'm not tracking the car or even driving all that aggressively; I'd just like it to have that peppy feeling as much as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
JRam24
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Estoril Blue M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipilcher View Post
I've had my 335i GT for 4 years now. It has the MPPK and MPE, but nothing more aggressive (and no such plans).

This is my first turbo-charged car, and it's honestly taken me a few years to really become attuned to the way it performs (or doesn't). That's my excuse for only recently noticing the correlation between temperature and performance ‒ particularly the way that the car seems to "come alive" when the temperature is cooler. Unfortunately I live in Texas, so those cooler days aren't exactly common.

Does an intercooler upgrade make sense in this situation? I'm not tracking the car or even driving all that aggressively; I'd just like it to have that peppy feeling as much as possible.
Do it! Cooler air is always better!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

while some will argue that the stock is fine, especially if you are not tracking, most agree that even the cheapest fmic upgrade will do better than the factory intercooler, pretty much because due to size. it's going to very difficult to notice the benefit from an aftermarket fmic, as it is not adding power but just maintaining the degradation from heatsoak longer than the oem intercooler.

while there are many choices, i assume you don't want to break the bank so, consider an fmic from cts turbo(have it myself) and their n55 charge pipe, which you may as well change while you're at it. high quality while very modestly priced. total price is less than what you'd pay for just an intecooler from a name brand.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...bo+fmic+review

$382.49(fmic)+$186.99(cp)=$569.48
Attached Images

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 05-30-2018 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Many proved that intercooler should be the first mod
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      05-30-2018, 05:16 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Agree do the CP while doing IC. Live in FL so am very familiar with heat. The largest IC out there i believe in the Dinan. Evolution Racewerks (ER) makes a great CP and FMIC so that combo would do nicely.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agree do the CP while doing IC. Live in FL so am very familiar with heat. The largest IC out there i believe in the Dinan. Evolution Racewerks (ER) makes a great CP and FMIC so that combo would do nicely.
Since I haven't increased the boost, what would be the benefit of upgrading the charge pipe?

I'm only considering "drop in" replacements for the stock intercooler, so the Dinan is out. For what I'm doing, it would be overkill. Currently, the Active Autowerke option is looking good.

https://www.x-ph.com/active-autowerk...r-n20-n26-n55/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Busa1
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 and 435i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Since I haven't increased the boost, what would be the benefit of upgrading the charge pipe?

I'm only considering "drop in" replacements for the stock intercooler, so the Dinan is out. For what I'm doing, it would be overkill. Currently, the Active Autowerke option is looking good.

Charge pipes have gone bad on totally stock cars. Stock charge pipes are plastic where as an aftermarket one is metal. Its just a matter of time before the stock one breaks. That should be the first thing you do imho.
      05-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Like ^^^^^ said, CPs seem to eventually blow. While you're in there you may as well change CP. Texas heat doesn't help.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
W1ldC4t
Rep
Drives: ‘15 435i Msport

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.x-ph.com/active-autowerke-bmw-f-chassis-intercooler-n20-n26-n55/
+1 for the AA intercooler. Fitment is perfect with my vrsf chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #10
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Since your not tracking it... this works just fine...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
CTS Turbo
Canada
Rep
Drives: RS3

Quote:

Unfortunately even at stock boost levels the Charge Pipes have been known to fail. It's one of the first "mods" we recommend for these cars, peace of mind is worth the small amount of money and time it takes to swap it out. As for intercoolers, everyone above me has covered it: stock cars won't see a noticeable power gain, but the longevity of that power (say on a long drive, back road rip, or a track-day) is going to be very noticeable, most OE intercoolers are underwhelming. Plus, they look badass tucked behind a bumper.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      05-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #12
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS Turbo View Post
Unfortunately even at stock boost levels the Charge Pipes have been known to fail. It's one of the first "mods" we recommend for these cars, peace of mind is worth the small amount of money and time it takes to swap it out. As for intercoolers, everyone above me has covered it: stock cars won't see a noticeable power gain, but the longevity of that power (say on a long drive, back road rip, or a track-day) is going to be very noticeable, most OE intercoolers are underwhelming. Plus, they look badass tucked behind a bumper.
I can't seem to find your chargepipe for the F30 335 x-drive, I only see RWD. Do you offer one for xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #13
ipilcher
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rush View Post
I can't seem to find your chargepipe for the F30 335 x-drive, I only see RWD. Do you offer one for xdrive?
Indeed.

From my searching, a charge pipe for my xDrive GT is going to cost darn near as much as a mid-range FMIC, so I have a hard time seeing this as a "while you're in there" add-on.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Indeed.

From my searching, a charge pipe for my xDrive GT is going to cost darn near as much as a mid-range FMIC, so I have a hard time seeing this as a "while you're in there" add-on.
Yeah, unfortunately they know people will need it and it's not an easy part to just throw together. They range from $250-$600, if price is an issue, go for the VRSF or FTP. They just don't look as nice and the welds are not as pretty but you can't really see it once installed anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Alright... Ill say it...

GPlus FMIC

Have it. It works!

https://scoutofmind.com/f30-f32-n55-...cooler-review/
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #16
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Rush View Post
Quote:
Indeed.

Ok I just got an answer! They advised me that they're working on the xdrive version and expected release date is in July but they suggested I follow their IG as updates will happen there first.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #17
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Absolutely. An intercooler upgrade is the best thing you can do to your car!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Yes, especially living in Texas you would really benefit from an upgraded FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Get a 5" intercooler and you are set ... Active Autowerke, VRSF Sport or Wagner EVO I are our most popular options

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #20
Big Mexican Women
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Yes, especially living in Texas you would really benefit from an upgraded FMIC.
Anybody would benefit from an intercooler upgrade. The stock intercooler on these cars is shit.

Always a far more effective upgrade VS. an intake
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #21
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

every bigger intercooler has bigger pressure drop vs smaller intercooler. If you're at stock boost levels and weather is not super hot, stock IC is fine for sure, big IC is waste of money. Stock turbo with stock software has plenty of reserve left, so if even if you're on longer pull and IAT will go up a bit, ECU will compensate it with higher boost and you will get same power. Another thing is if you're tuned to the turbo limit, on some 10-15 seconds pull your IAT can grow up to 75 degrees Celcius (167F) with stock IC. Depending on aftermarket IC type and size on the same pull you will have 35-40 degrees C IAT (95-105F), this will allow to have more dense air and better ignition timing, you will sacrifice a bit of boost (because of bigger IC pressure drop) though.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemigo13 View Post
every bigger intercooler has bigger pressure drop vs smaller intercooler. If you're at stock boost levels and weather is not super hot, stock IC is fine for sure, big IC is waste of money. Stock turbo with stock software has plenty of reserve left, so if even if you're on longer pull and IAT will go up a bit, ECU will compensate it with higher boost and you will get same power. Another thing is if you're tuned to the turbo limit, on some 10-15 seconds pull your IAT can grow up to 75 degrees Celcius (167F) with stock IC. Depending on aftermarket IC type and size on the same pull you will have 35-40 degrees C IAT (95-105F), this will allow to have more dense air and better ignition timing, you will sacrifice a bit of boost (because of bigger IC pressure drop) though.
A good point on bringing up pressure drop. Truth be told, a lot of these big FMIC still have less pressure drop then the stock FMIC so that's a good thing!
Appreciate 0