F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED bulb in Depo F30 projector headlights
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #67
bananowy1999
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post
I had to use the adapters you provided in the link(thanks!). At first I installed the LED cap with the adapter but it wouldn't sit right because I was trying to install it in the same orientation as halogen headlights. You can see in the pics below how the adapter slides more into place in the DEPOs when placed upside down.

Regarding high beams, I left them as is. They aren't used enough to go out anytime soon.

I have an adapter, it looks the same as in this photo. When I put the bulb in it, the whole thing moves and it will surely fall out in the first hole. Was it different for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #68
Kashimash
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Touring

Hi guys I did my depo installation myself yesterday and all went well - took about 3hrs start to finish. I used the Novsight N52 in both the low and high beam - I've used novsights in the past and they seem good quality, give good light output and from my experience the correct beam pattern. I had a pair of the N52 H7's in my stock halogens that worked well and had just recently passed the MOT so beam pattern must be ok! It is annoying that the low and high beams use different fitting methods - the high beams wasn't a problem, but needed to buy some retainer adapters off amazon for the low beams.

Everything is working ok except for the vertical levelling - it starts off fine, when you start the car you can see the headlight beam raise up and level into its correct position. Then when you rotate the manual adjustment wheel it works, you can see the beam moving up or down albeit more jerky than the stock BMW headlights I previously had. But if you fiddle with the wheel too much, i.e. like an MOT tester the adjustment stops and I get a yellow warning triangle on the dash saying the vertical headlight adjustment has a failure. This clears when you turn off the ignition btw.

Have any of you guys had the same problem? Has anybody managed to figure out what it is? I'm wondering if it's something inside the headlight obstructing the movement as the movement does seem a bit jerky. The other theory i had was should I have installed the headlights with the manual wheel inside the car set at 0? Not sure if i did.

Just worried that when i take it for an MOT it will fail for not having the manual vertical adjustment working correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #69
navid0308
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jcrane View Post
I was able to install the Moses H7 LED bulbs today. Was pretty easy to install, I had to remove my wheels for better access. I didn't need the adapter. See pictures here:

Remove metal sleeve from Moses bulb, install / secure that in back of headlights first. Once secure, gently push LED bulb into its sleeve, and it should be a tight fit. I'll update with night time pictures later.
I would highly suggest putting a 2 sided LED instead of a 360 LED in a reflector housing! As far as I've seen, 360 LEDs in reflector housing never focuses. It scatters light; you won't see the road properly and also be glaring everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #70
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananowy1999 View Post
I have an adapter, it looks the same as in this photo. When I put the bulb in it, the whole thing moves and it will surely fall out in the first hole. Was it different for you?
The adapter always felt flimsy. I just tried to get both ends of the adapter behind the screws that hold it and prayed it didn't fall apart haha.

You could try bending the adapters just slightly so that there is a bit more friction between the edges that go behind the screw but honestly, flimsy is as good as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 05:47 PM   #71
rnabidur
Rep
Drives: F30:: 318D - Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashimash View Post
Hi guys I did my depo installation myself yesterday and all went well - took about 3hrs start to finish. I used the Novsight N52 in both the low and high beam - I've used novsights in the past and they seem good quality, give good light output and from my experience the correct beam pattern. I had a pair of the N52 H7's in my stock halogens that worked well and had just recently passed the MOT so beam pattern must be ok! It is annoying that the low and high beams use different fitting methods - the high beams wasn't a problem, but needed to buy some retainer adapters off amazon for the low beams.

Everything is working ok except for the vertical levelling - it starts off fine, when you start the car you can see the headlight beam raise up and level into its correct position. Then when you rotate the manual adjustment wheel it works, you can see the beam moving up or down albeit more jerky than the stock BMW headlights I previously had. But if you fiddle with the wheel too much, i.e. like an MOT tester the adjustment stops and I get a yellow warning triangle on the dash saying the vertical headlight adjustment has a failure. This clears when you turn off the ignition btw.

Have any of you guys had the same problem? Has anybody managed to figure out what it is? I'm wondering if it's something inside the headlight obstructing the movement as the movement does seem a bit jerky. The other theory i had was should I have installed the headlights with the manual wheel inside the car set at 0? Not sure if i did.

Just worried that when i take it for an MOT it will fail for not having the manual vertical adjustment working correctly.

I have the same problem. I did installed mine 2 weeks earlier and I saw the same issue with vertical adjuster. I am worried with the MOT too. I asked the seller (Ultimate Styling) and seems like they are just a "Drop Shipper", no help at all for the product.
I am also having issue with the LED bulb (using Novo Sight 80W) but not having enough output through the lens, worse than my halogen. Really frastating situation here mate.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #72
akhafeez
Rep
Drives: 320i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnabidur View Post
I have the same problem. I did installed mine 2 weeks earlier and I saw the same issue with vertical adjuster. I am worried with the MOT too. I asked the seller (Ultimate Styling) and seems like they are just a "Drop Shipper", no help at all for the product.
I am also having issue with the LED bulb (using Novo Sight 80W) but not having enough output through the lens, worse than my halogen. Really frastating situation here mate.
I just installed mine too and put my LEDs from my old halogen head lights which were pretty bright into these- almost no visibility, basically used my LED fogs to drive home. Unsure why the output is so low when switching. I have amazon primed new ones that are mentioned above to see how they are.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:30 PM   #73
AZ_Oilburner
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d

Thanks to all who have posted here I was able to do this install last week. Everything went smoothly, got the Light Moses H7's and the adapters from Amazon. I was hoping to use the angel eyes as DRL's but I noticed that mine only turn on with the lights. I have messed with the coding in Bimmercode and turned DRL on or off in i-drive but no luck. Has anyone with this headlight conversion enabled the angel eyes as DRL's?
      05-30-2022, 12:41 PM   #74
antoninoprobe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

If you tried to visit the specialized sites and search them for the required model? I'm sure that at sites like lightingandsupplies you will be able to find the proper model for a low price and various delivery options. If you decide to order with them, let me know. I have some coupons for free delivery, so I will be glad to share them with you since I have a lot of them. Feel free to reach me via private messages or answer me directly on this topic, have a great day!

Last edited by antoninoprobe; 06-08-2022 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #75
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Oilburner View Post
Thanks to all who have posted here I was able to do this install last week. Everything went smoothly, got the Light Moses H7's and the adapters from Amazon. I was hoping to use the angel eyes as DRL's but I noticed that mine only turn on with the lights. I have messed with the coding in Bimmercode and turned DRL on or off in i-drive but no luck. Has anyone with this headlight conversion enabled the angel eyes as DRL's?
Are your drls enabled in idrive? Should be somewhere like settings > lighting > drl
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 12:54 PM   #76
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

For those who are still having troubles finding and installing an LED bulb into those aftermarket DEPO bulbs, Philips released these adapter rings for their LED series in the European market ( https://www.amazon.fr/Philips-automo.../dp/B09L54RWH8 ), allowing for much much more easier installs as shown in the figure below. You basically just place the adapter on the bulb itself, insert it into the headlight and twist to lock it in place like the regular halogen bulb without fiddling around with the adapter ring inside the lockplace.

Be aware those are not street legal, but still provide a much securer install and with the Philips I feel a much more focused and refined beam pattern over anything else that's been yet presented here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 03:39 AM   #77
bozniak
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly30 View Post
For those who are still having troubles finding and installing an LED bulb into those aftermarket DEPO bulbs, Philips released these adapter rings for their LED series in the European market ( https://www.amazon.fr/Philips-automo.../dp/B09L54RWH8 ), allowing for much much more easier installs as shown in the figure below. You basically just place the adapter on the bulb itself, insert it into the headlight and twist to lock it in place like the regular halogen bulb without fiddling around with the adapter ring inside the lockplace.

Be aware those are not street legal, but still provide a much securer install and with the Philips I feel a much more focused and refined beam pattern over anything else that's been yet presented here.
Do you have any pictures of beam output you have? Looking to buy some as well, so I was wondering if extra money for those is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 02:03 AM   #78
Davo_Aus
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport

Hi everyone,

I'm contemplating buying a pair of DEPO F30 Projector/Reflector RHD levelling headlights and trying to find information to compare these to F30 Eagle Eyes levelling headlights, which have 2x projectors (Although I've heard mixed information if both projectors work - or if there's a shutter in the low beam to also allow it to operate as a high beam !?!)

My 2012 F30 came with 2 x 2 Halogens which are terrible.

I've read the projector housing in both is pretty average and beam spread and intensity is often an issue.

My question is, what LED or HID is recommended for both a strong white (~6000K) light, provides a good spread & cut-off, fits the DEPO without any hacking and doesn't overheat (which will cause the headlight to degrade faster over time). Std H7 halogens are 50W, so I guess LED or HID should at up to 50W should be be fine.
I believe CANBUS adapters will be needed to stop LED flicker, but coding won't be needed if the lamps are 50W!?

And I guess I may need clips as previously discussed..!?

Can you let me know what HID / LED H7 lamps (ideally with links) you recommend?

Once the bumper is off I may also replace the fog lights to LED, I think these are 35W H8 halogens ?

Many thanks,
Dave.
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #79
telecastermds
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Seems an O-ring helps hold the bulb more securely
Appreciate 0