F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding Euro High Beam Assist but no LHM or TMS ECU Modules
proTUNING Freaks

07-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Coding Euro High Beam Assist but no LHM or TMS ECU Modules

So using the attached document, I'm trying to code the Euro High Beams (with the proper anti-dazzle shutters) and was able to remove the 5AP and 8S4 from my FA pretty easily. I verified the new the FA by recalculating it, and saved it. No errors with this.

Then went into Expert Mode, loaded the newly saved FA, and recalculated the FP again. Then went into the "VCM Master" tab and did the "Write FA FP" to write the new FA to the car. It looks like the 5AP and 8S4 elements were correctly removed as I don't see them in the SALAPA elements now.

So now I need to add all the shutter values in to get the no-dazzle feature working correctly, but I can't find the LHM ECU modules or the TMS modules. I have a KAFAS2 module (but not a KAFAS) there already.

Am I just missing something or did I do something wrong?

My car is a May build, 2017 340i with the lighting package so I have the necessary hardware.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me with this. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Euro LED Headlights How To.pdf (264.7 KB, 1039 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I see why this can't be done. The LCI F30s don't have the masking shutters on their LED headlights to make this work properly. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Well, I see why this can't be done. The LCI F30s don't have the masking shutters on their LED headlights to make this work properly. Oh well.
Correct; NA LCI F30's lack necessary hardware. Instead of LHM/TMS, you have FLE.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

So do the 340 LCI Euro models with the different part numbers for headlights have FLE or TMS/LHM?

That document was for pre-lci, no one has updated it for the new modules.
      08-01-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
So do the 340 LCI Euro models with the different part numbers for headlights have FLE or TMS/LHM?

That document was for pre-lci, no one has updated it for the new modules.
F3x's LCI's as well as '18 F8x (M3/M4) have FLE (CAFD_000024C3).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So get the OP to try the coding for FLE and tell us if it works with F30 headlights. (I know you say no micro shutters), but NA F80/F82 have different part numbers than the Euro conterparts for headlights as well, and still the F80/F82 can be code for NGHB
      08-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So get the OP to try the coding for FLE and tell us if it works with F30 headlights. (I know you say no micro shutters), but NA F80/F82 have different part numbers than the Euro conterparts for headlights as well, and still the F80/F82 can be code for NGHB
Many have tried and it does not work on LCI F3x's.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No shutters = not going to try

Quote:
Not going to bother since my car lacks the shutters required to get the No-Glare working properly. I don't want to be glaring other drivers all the time. I'll just deal with the base auto high-beams.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
We all know it blinds other drivers with no shutter as has been detailed in many threads.

Suggesting he do that is an asshole move.

Love to see how you react with driver behind you using high beams...or in opposite lane with brights blaring in your eyes.

Quote:
Not going to bother since my car lacks the shutters required to get the No-Glare working properly. I don't want to be glaring other drivers all the time. I'll just deal with the base auto high-beams.
Smart move.

In the OP you stated you had the proper EU shutters. What leas you to believe that?

They are available, but will cost you.

Last edited by GCinFLA; 08-01-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #11
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Smart move.

In the OP you stated you had the proper EU shutters. What leas you to believe that?

They are available, but will cost you.

I thought I had the proper hardware, but did not realize that starting with MY 2016 there was a change in the actual headlight units that removed the active shutters. I finally figured it out when I didn't see the appropriate sections to control the shutters in my coding session. Then I did more research and figured it out. Still annoyed at yet another cost-cutting move on BMWs part, but since they are illegal in the US anyway, I guess you can't blame them for saving money where they can.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
They use different methods to produce the Passing Beams. F8x Pre-LCI use Sail Beam (No Digital Optic Shutters). F3x 3er LCI Adaptive use Multibeam Dynamic Shadow in approved markets (Digital Shutters). US Cars have a different outer LED Array that cannot produce a Sail Beam or a Dynamic Shadow Beam.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
GCinFLA290.50
Almaretto2383.00
      08-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
We all know it blinds other drivers with no shutter as has been detailed in many threads.

Suggesting he do that is an asshole move.

Love to see how you react with driver behind you using high beams...or in opposite lane with brights blaring in your eyes.
How do you know? There have been no threads where someone has worked out the coding difference between the Euro F30 LCI LED lights and the NA F30. and it didn't work. All the threads that exist relate to the pre-lci headlights. Please show us some of these other threads that you refer to, or are you just being a blowhard...

No one is suggesting that he leave it to glare other drivers if it doesn't work. I said 'try'.
      08-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #14
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you know? There have been no threads where someone has worked out the coding difference between the Euro F30 LCI LED lights and the NA F30. and it didn't work. All the threads that exist relate to the pre-lci headlights. Please show us some of these other threads that you refer to, or are you just being a blowhard...

No one is suggesting that he leave it to glare other drivers if it doesn't work. I said 'try'.
Clueless. There are various threads on the subject.

:

The LEDs don't have shutters.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #15
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought I had the proper hardware, but did not realize that starting with MY 2016 there was a change in the actual headlight units that removed the active shutters. I finally figured it out when I didn't see the appropriate sections to control the shutters in my coding session. Then I did more research and figured it out. Still annoyed at yet another cost-cutting move on BMWs part, but since they are illegal in the US anyway, I guess you can't blame them for saving money where they can.

The shutters have NEVER been in the USA Xenon Headlights.

They were NOT removed in 2016 USA Models.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Clueless. There are various threads on the subject.

:

The LEDs don't have shutters.

I have read all the threads on all the forums, some of them mention microshutters. I have also posted in many of them relating to the LCI F3X.

I wouldn't expect any different answer from you though, aka, I can't actually quote any of the threads I just referenced....

Here is one I posted in a while back clearly showing the tunnelling on the US LCI 340i working. Suggest you read it
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=871966&page=3

Last edited by blue dragon; 08-01-2017 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
NavS23.50
      08-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #17
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have read all the threads on all the forums, some of them mention microshutters. I have also posted in many of them relating to the LCI F3X.

I wouldn't expect any different answer from you though, aka, I can't actually quote any of the threads I just referenced....

Here is one I posted in a while back clearly showing the tunnelling on the US LCI 340i working. Suggest you read it
I have working ant-dazzle Xenons as I followed the steps on the threads you've read (lol) and purchased parts from Europe.

Even posted on multiple threads about LEDs where the know it all like yourself think LEDs in USA work without all the correct parts.

I'll enjoy mine. You just keep on wishing and guessing.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #18
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have working ant-dazzle Xenons as I followed the steps on the threads you've read (lol) and purchased parts from Europe.

Even posted on multiple threads about LEDs where the know it all like yourself think LEDs in USA work without all the correct parts.

I'll enjoy mine. You just keep on wishing and guessing.
If I knew it all, I wouldn't be asking questions. My main question was whether the FLE coding had been figured out if you had the Euro LED lamps, and the answer was no. I have no problems purchasing the Euro lamps if the coding has been worked out.

Kabrich had the xenons figured out a long time ago, but since you know it all, you'll tell us about LED equipped cars I am sure
      08-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #19
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
And from the same tester who made those videos...

"I VO coded both FLEs while I was out driving as I soon realized I was high beaming everyone from behind. Think we need to go back to the drawing board a bit before anyone applies this to their car."

The "tunnel" was portions of the low beams cutting out, the long range high beams were coming on when the shouldn't, and there are errors galore because the ECE and US lights don't run on the same voltage.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post

"I VO coded both FLEs while I was out driving as I soon realized I was high beaming everyone from behind. Think we need to go back to the drawing board a bit before anyone applies this to their car."

The "tunnel" was portions of the low beams cutting out, the long range high beams were coming on when the shouldn't, and there are errors galore because the ECE and US lights don't run on the same voltage.
If you read further, he resolved that problem.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=98

Still hasn't sorted out the tunneling fully, but there were no updates.

In case anyone is looking, this is the cheapest I have found the Euro LED adaptive headligths

https://betaautoparts.com/product/f3...8-oe-original/

https://betaautoparts.com/product/f3...7-oe-original/

Last edited by blue dragon; 08-02-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:19 AM   #21
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:

That was my thread and I did a significant amount of work with forum members outside of what was in that thread. That coding in the videos was definitely not good.

As I have stated a few times in a few threads, the coding solution we ended up with is 90% of what the ECE cars do. I am still running it on my car today but since we realized we could not 100% enable due to hardware limitations it hasn't been distributed to my knowledge.

The shutters are not responsible for the tunnel but from what I can tell are used in scenarios where we have oncoming traffic and the opposite high beam is to be enabled. Since the hardware is missing and hence it won't take the coding the opposite high beam doesn't enable in this situation so really no harm in running this...just not as good as it could be.

FWIW there is no mystery to what the ECE coding is; the coding is all there in the firmware files and can be extrapolated with ESys. The key is you can't run that coding on a US car due to improper hardware. You have to pick the settings you can enable.

Lots of misinformation floating around on this; I hope this clears it up a bit. Officially, coding doesn't work to enable. Unofficially, you can get most of it enabled.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:59 PM   #22
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
That was my thread and I did a significant amount of work with forum members outside of what was in that thread. That coding in the videos was definitely not good.

As I have stated a few times in a few threads, the coding solution we ended up with is 90% of what the ECE cars do. I am still running it on my car today but since we realized we could not 100% enable due to hardware limitations it hasn't been distributed to my knowledge.

The shutters are not responsible for the tunnel but from what I can tell are used in scenarios where we have oncoming traffic and the opposite high beam is to be enabled. Since the hardware is missing and hence it won't take the coding the opposite high beam doesn't enable in this situation so really no harm in running this...just not as good as it could be.

FWIW there is no mystery to what the ECE coding is; the coding is all there in the firmware files and can be extrapolated with ESys. The key is you can't run that coding on a US car due to improper hardware. You have to pick the settings you can enable.

Lots of misinformation floating around on this; I hope this clears it up a bit. Officially, coding doesn't work to enable. Unofficially, you can get most of it enabled.
Exactly. And if you compare the "hardware" parts numbers between the USA and ECE cars, one can figure out exactly what needs to be changed out...and can then determine if it's worth it to you.
Appreciate 0