F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Wipers and haze
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2016, 03:18 PM   #23
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
THIS is what comes off of BRAND NEW OEM BMW wipers with Goo Gone. I've learned over the years that BMW blades will leave marks if you don't clean them along with the windshield regularly, and the first thing I do when I get new ones is clean them with Goo Gone, followed by water.

I never have any streaking problems and they last a long time.
Ummm, you just removed the intentionally applied coating that protects the rubber from UV/ozone degradation and lubricates the wipers on the glass. If you look closely, it includes a small amount of graphite flakes that sparkle in the sun. It's not dirt or oxidized rubber.
Yeah, well that's fine with me. My wipers are always 100% perfect and last a long time. I'd rather remove it than have it left in a line on my windshield at the end of its travel. I never said what I thought it is, and it might not be dirt or oxidation, but it sure is crap when it's left on your windshield.
      02-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

I clayed the glass and it definitely helped but it's still pretty terrible.

I still need to pick up new blades.
      02-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #25
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
THIS is what comes off of BRAND NEW OEM BMW wipers with Goo Gone. I've learned over the years that BMW blades will leave marks if you don't clean them along with the windshield regularly, and the first thing I do when I get new ones is clean them with Goo Gone, followed by water.

I never have any streaking problems and they last a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
This is a v common problem with cars.
U need auto glass polish and auto glass cleaner. U need to use it kind of once in couple of weeks.
I use rain x product. Follow the instructions and also make sure u Clean wiper blades softly with this. Don't rub hard on blades.

No need to buy new wiper blades
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
I personally wouldn't use RainX. Its a poor consumer grade product that a lot of times can do more harm than good.

I recommend CarPro FlyByForte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Ummm, you just removed the intentionally applied coating that protects the rubber from UV/ozone degradation and lubricates the wipers on the glass. If you look closely, it includes a small amount of graphite flakes that sparkle in the sun. It's not dirt or oxidized rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Harm, how?
Please explain with an example.
I've been using it on my 2 BMWs for years with perfect results, no damages.
The graphite powder dry lubricant and the slicone based sealant (rain-x) when mixed will gunk up and may cause issues such as chattering wipers and uneven coverage.

But, I think Bav was referring to @wrickem, not you @gds52

Last edited by WHL102; 02-12-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #26
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHL102 View Post
The graphite powder dry lubricant and the slicone based sealant (rain-x) when mixed will gunk up and may cause issues such as chattering wipers and uneven coverage.

But, I think Bav was referring to @wrickem, not you @gds52
This is something that I think a lot of folks don't realize. If you're using Rain-X, you really SHOULDN'T use your wipers. It's really an either/or proposition.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #27
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I use RainX on both my ocean boats. No wipers...salt water rolls/beads right of with no salt stain when dry.

I've used RainX with wipers in my MB and BMW with mixed results.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #28
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
If you're using Rain-X, you really SHOULDN'T use your wipers.
Not at speeds high enough to blow the windshield clean. At low speeds you don't have any choice. BTW, Aqua Pel works just as well, and it lasts longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #29
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Not at speeds high enough to blow the windshield clean. At low speeds you don't have any choice. BTW, Aqua Pel works just as well, and it lasts longer.
Drive faster?

Agreed, at lower speeds or when it's just "spray" from wet roads you must use the wipers. But, use them sparingly, not continuously.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
This is something that I think a lot of folks don't realize. If you're using Rain-X, you really SHOULDN'T use your wipers. It's really an either/or proposition.
I agree with you.

I've tried Rain-X, but find that it doesn't last very long.
I much prefer a car polish called "liquid glass".
You don't need much at all for the windows, and I use it on all the windows on my cars. Water beads and sheets off.
Using it on the side and rear window helps keep them clean.
The rear window on the 3 is right at that point where a wiper would be beneficial.

But, with the 'liquid glass' I don't use the wipers while moving.
The water beads and runs off decently at low speed, but it does need above 30-35mph to really work as it needs the air flow to push the water up and away. In very very heavy rain at low speeds sometimes I may just do a manual round of wipers, but not often.

To really help the liquid glass last even longer I use RainX windshield washer fluid, it's really great stuff. However, I couldn't find the winter formula earlier this season when I looked so I just used the regular old blue generic fluid. Then I found a summer RainX fluid in my garage, it's green.
So, I thought why not mix it with the blue.
NOT a good idea. The green summer formula is designed to help clean bugs and things off the windows in WARM weather.
So, what happened when I mixed the warm weather RainX with some generic blue?
The fluid FROZE when the temps got under 25F degrees.
One day it was like 15F out side and I needed to clean a bit of salt spray and NO fluid. I thought my washer pump went out, except I could hear it running. Then I realized that I had STUOOOOOOPIDLY put in the warm weather RainX!
DOH!

Anyway, liquid glass is an Awesome car clear coat polish, and makes for a fantastic window treatment to keep the rain beading and running away for no wipers needed while driving in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I use RainX windshield washer fluid, it's really great stuff.
Don't do that, it doesn't get along well with the fluid level sensing and you'll get a constant warning that it's low even though it's not.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #32
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Quote:
Aquapel is far ahead of Rain X. Rain X is crap, plus is seems to ruin the wipers.

A good application of Aquapel lasts over 6 months. Wipe it in real good and there's no haze or chopping.

Use the glass cleaner they make also; really good stuff.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Wipers are included in the maintenance plan so if you are still in your maintenance window you get free wipers from the dealer

And yes please explain what the problem with rain-x is I love the stuff have used it on all my cars with no sign of damage whatsoever that I can see
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #34
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Quote:
Aquapel is far ahead of Rain X. Rain X is crap, plus is seems to ruin the wipers.

A good application of Aquapel lasts over 6 months. Wipe it in real good and there's no haze or chopping.

Your post appeared as I wrote mine... I will have to give that a try, rain-x only lasts a month if that generally for me
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #35
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber
Wipers are included in the maintenance plan so if you are still in your maintenance window you get free wipers from the dealer

And yes please explain what the problem with rain-x is I love the stuff have used it on all my cars with no sign of damage whatsoever that I can see
Wipers are not included in maintenance plan in Canada.
      02-18-2016, 10:40 PM   #36
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Oem wiper on f32 is 24/18. I find it doesn't wiper the windshield clean. A damn triangle left after wiping. I tried 24/19, still triangle is there but smaller. There is no 25 size wiper so i go for a 26/18. Bang! Perfect wiping!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 05:54 AM   #37
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Quote:

Your post appeared as I wrote mine... I will have to give that a try, rain-x only lasts a month if that generally for me
To your earlier post, I used Rain X in the past for years; works for the most part. Issue was that it seemed to have an effect on the rubber of the wipers. This isn't a scientific analysis by any means, but just seems the Rain X was the constant.

I hope you do try Aquapel, if you do, let us know what you think. I order it from Amazon or Autogeek.net. The cleaner is good also, but Stoner is also great. Someone recently said Auto Glym was the best they'd seen; I've not tried it, but am sure it's a solid product.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #38
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
To your earlier post, I used Rain X in the past for years; works for the most part. Issue was that it seemed to have an effect on the rubber of the wipers. This isn't a scientific analysis by any means, but just seems the Rain X was the constant.

I hope you do try Aquapel, if you do, let us know what you think. I order it from Amazon or Autogeek.net. The cleaner is good also, but Stoner is also great. Someone recently said Auto Glym was the best they'd seen; I've not tried it, but am sure it's a solid product.
If you want a new windshield coating try FlyByForte from CarPro.

It was easy to apply and the water starts flying off at very low speeds, like 35-ish mph.
      02-19-2016, 11:08 AM   #39
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuber View Post
The fluid is incompatible with the electrical fluid level sensor unit that BMW starting using I believe with the F series. Eventually the sensor will stop working.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #40
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

I used to get streaks from my blades whenever it rained lightly. What I now do is periodically clean windshield & rear window and then spray on RainX. AFter I wipe them off, I use the same rag to clean the wiper blade edges and put a little RainX on them. Really seems to help!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #41
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Don't do that, it doesn't get along well with the fluid level sensing and you'll get a constant warning that it's low even though it's not.
I've not had any odd level sensing issues in any of the cars I've used RainX washer fluid in, that would be 4 BMW's, 1 Audi, and I Mitsubishi.
Is there anything in the 340i manual stating to not use RainX or other products of it's kind in the fluid reservoir?
And, where did you get your information?
I'd like to read it too.
Thanks!

RainX washer fluid is a fluid just like any other washer fluid.
Just remember to use fluid designed for the temperature range you are using it in.

Last edited by RPM90; 02-22-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0