F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 340i Transmission Fluid
Studio RSR

01-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #1
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

340i Transmission Fluid

I figure if I'm only going to do it once every 60 - 80k miles I don't need to buy all of the software to do the diagnostics etc for a proper fluid change.

Will a BMW dealer perform a transmission fluid change? What about on a modified car?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
I figure if I'm only going to do it once every 60 - 80k miles I don't need to buy all of the software to do the diagnostics etc for a proper fluid change.

Will a BMW dealer perform a transmission fluid change? What about on a modified car?
There are a couple threads about this topic already. A quick search and you'll see that a number of people have asked their dealership service depts to do a transmission service and they wouldn't do, citing it's a "lifetime fill".
      01-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
There are a couple threads about this topic already. A quick search and you'll see that a number of people have asked their dealership service depts to do a transmission service and they wouldn't do, citing it's a "lifetime fill".
Thanks for the information and I hate to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Thanks for the information and I hate to hear that.
If a BMW dealer does it the price would be outrageous! Find an independent BMW mechanic. Check BimmerShops website for those in your area. Obviously check out their reviews and find someone that you are comfortable with. Bring them the parts so that they don't go getting dealer parts and passing expense to you.

ZF makes the transmission so get a ZF transmission service kit with the pan and ZF fluid. I researched recently and FCP Euro had the best price.

You are smart not to believe lifetime fill BS, especially when ZF says to replace fluid.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:

Quote:

I asked Irvine BMW and they quoted me $1100. It can be done by the dealership as they have more resources and manuals and etc. than everybody but all they say is that the fluid is lifetime. They charge ridiculous amounts so you will hold off. $500-600 is reasonable given that the parts and the fluid is around $300.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
If a BMW dealer does it the price would be outrageous! Find an independent BMW mechanic. Check BimmerShops website for those in your area. Obviously check out their reviews and find someone that you are comfortable with. Bring them the parts so that they don't go getting dealer parts and passing expense to you.

ZF makes the transmission so get a ZF transmission service kit with the pan and ZF fluid. I researched recently and FCP Euro had the best price.

You are smart not to believe lifetime fill BS, especially when ZF says to replace fluid.

Hope this helps!
Yeah this helps a lot. I've looked at the procedures to do it myself. Any idea what sort of software I need to monitor the car during the replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
I asked Irvine BMW and they quoted me $1100. It can be done by the dealership as they have more resources and manuals and etc. than everybody but all they say is that the fluid is lifetime. They charge ridiculous amounts so you will hold off. $500-600 is reasonable given that the parts and the fluid is around $300.
Ooof, yeah I guess I should look around for some reputable independent mechanics. I'm closing in on 60k miles but thinking of doing it within the next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps!
Yeah this helps a lot. I've looked at the procedures to do it myself. Any idea what sort of software I need to monitor the car during the replacement?
I'm more comfortable having an Indy with experience do it.

Newtis website has procedural information.

FCP Euro video

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 02:44 AM   #9
Roach1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xdrive

Hello guys I need some help. So I have a 2017 BMW 340i xdrive auto and my mechanic put a dexron 3 rated oil in my tranny when he flushed it. I did some research and apparently a dexron 6 rated oil is supposed to go in there. He said it was fine as he's done it before and the dexron 3 also meets the BMW spec. He said it is fine. Is this true ? What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach1 View Post
Hello guys I need some help. So I have a 2017 BMW 340i xdrive auto and my mechanic put a dexron 3 rated oil in my tranny when he flushed it. I did some research and apparently a dexron 6 rated oil is supposed to go in there. He said it was fine as he's done it before and the dexron 3 also meets the BMW spec. He said it is fine. Is this true ? What should I do?
Dex 3 is not compatible with the ZF8HP. GM discontinued Dex 3 in early 2000s or thereabouts so I'm surprised he had it in his shop.

Are you sure it wasn't a generic multi-vehicle ATF like MaxLife?

I would talk to another shop but IIRC Dex 3 was a spec which would shear down to a specific viscosity range whereas current ATFs have thinner starting viscosities but remain stable. Basically a Dex 3 will have a thicker starting viscosity which may cause shift issues.

I would go to BITOG and ask in the Transmission forum.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #11
Roach1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Dex 3 is not compatible with the ZF8HP. GM discontinued Dex 3 in early 2000s or thereabouts so I'm surprised he had it in his shop.

I would talk to another shop but IIRC Dex 3 was a spec which would shear down to a specific viscosity range whereas current ATFs have thinner starting viscosities but remain stable. Basically a Dex 3 will have a thicker starting viscosity which may cause shift issues.

What's bitog? He ordered it from his supplier and yes I'm sure he used Fuchs ATF 6008 which is a ATF 3+ oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

What's bitog? He ordered it from his supplier and yes I'm sure he used Fuchs ATF 6008 which is a ATF 3+ oil.
BobIsTheOilGuy.com

Loojs like a LG8 clone rather than Dex3.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:47 PM   #13
Roach1
Rep

So just to clarify dex 3 is not the same as ATF 3+ ? Or is it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 10:49 PM   #14
Roach1
Rep

Also, I tried making an account with Bob is the oil and my account was rejected because my username is "vermin" . Wth? It was the same username I am using for this forum. So much for helping bob the douchebag
Appreciate 0