F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
Studio RSR

01-26-2020, 05:06 AM   #595
Uhmmm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Well after all that, it was a complete waste of time (and money) for me, as the NBT unit is too big and stops you getting the usb trim into place (even with the usb removed it won't fit).
Just so sad.. If it were for a left hand car I would have bought it from u
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 05:34 AM   #596
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmmm View Post
Just so sad.. If it were for a left hand car I would have bought it from u
It would cost about the same price to send it to the USA as it did to buy it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #597
constantind
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvward View Post
If you are using an iPhone swipe up from the bottom and in music box press the small icon at the top right and select carplay as your source. Try that.
Tried that and tried everything else - the aux is definitely working when plugging a 3.5mm cable. Also tried Android Auto is doing the same then tried to connect the BT only and stream to - no sound. (edit) Also, realised, when I plug an usb stick to play music from, still same - no sound at all.(edit)

I wonder if is the unit itself is not working or I've done something wrong and trying to find out if someone else experienced the same problem.

Thanks

Last edited by constantind; 01-26-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #598
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantind View Post
Tried that and tried everything else - the aux is definitely working when plugging a 3.5mm cable. Also tried Android Auto is doing the same the tried to connect the BT only and stream to - no sound. Also, realised, when I plug an usb stick to play music from, just says is no USB attached. but I've just updated the software using the USB and it charges the phone when plugged in.

I wonder if is the unit itself is not working or I've done something wrong and trying to find out if someone else experienced the same problem.

Thanks
Check out this video in case you have missed a step somewhere:

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #599
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvward View Post
If you are using an iPhone swipe up from the bottom and in music box press the small icon at the top right and select carplay as your source. Try that.
Tried that and tried everything else - the aux is definitely working when plugging a 3.5mm cable. Also tried Android Auto is doing the same then tried to connect the BT only and stream to - no sound. (edit) Also, realised, when I plug an usb stick to play music from, still same - no sound at all.(edit)

Thanks
Do you have optical cables on original connector? If so, did you move them to the carplay harness?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 09:03 PM   #600
Gumdrop
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Anyone have an issue with Apple CarPlay not automatically switching to night mode? Have to manually change.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #601
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumdrop View Post
Anyone have an issue with Apple CarPlay not automatically switching to night mode? Have to manually change.
I think this is a known issue (probably not fixable). Also, Apple Maps never seems to go to night mode. But Waze does using sunrise and sundown times.

I run in night mode all the time in CarPlay, as I don't like the bright background anyway. Just wish the Apple Maps would work.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #602
sass24
Rep
Drives: BMW 535

New system firmware v2.0.2.7.gpe.b https://mega.nz/#!f8chgYaI!sLT1Ncahf...5rqBJEQSevWBeA

Changelog (Google translate from chinese):

1. Optimize the connection speed of wireless carplay
2.NBT BMW adds switch headlight carplay will automatically change to dark and white mode
3.NBT supports test code (fourth digit)
4.NBT BMW acc off will disconnect the carplay connection
5.Solve NBT large screen BMW upgrade or restart will appear no single
6. Added NBT BMW P gear to D gear into the front view (lead time is set)

1. Optimize carplay to play music freeze
2.Settings- Audio Added Open Echo Debugging Function
3. Added channel selection in the settings, the default Chinese version is 149 channels, the default English is 36 channels, the channel does not change with the language (2.4GWiFi channel is 6 channels)
4.Fixed the reversing interface with Chinese when setting English or other languages
5. Added menu and back keys to long press the function switch button switch in the settings (need to cooperate with the latest mcu19.12.12)
Appreciate 4
muniz_ri447.50
cossie1624.50
      01-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #603
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass24 View Post
New system firmware v2.0.2.7.gpe.b https://mega.nz/#!f8chgYaI!sLT1Ncahf...5rqBJEQSevWBeA

Changelog (Google translate from chinese):

1. Optimize the connection speed of wireless carplay
2.NBT BMW adds switch headlight carplay will automatically change to dark and white mode
3.NBT supports test code (fourth digit)
4.NBT BMW acc off will disconnect the carplay connection
5.Solve NBT large screen BMW upgrade or restart will appear no single
6. Added NBT BMW P gear to D gear into the front view (lead time is set)

1. Optimize carplay to play music freeze
2.Settings- Audio Added Open Echo Debugging Function
3. Added channel selection in the settings, the default Chinese version is 149 channels, the default English is 36 channels, the channel does not change with the language (2.4GWiFi channel is 6 channels)
4.Fixed the reversing interface with Chinese when setting English or other languages
5. Added menu and back keys to long press the function switch button switch in the settings (need to cooperate with the latest mcu19.12.12)
Where did this update come from ?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #604
sass24
Rep
Drives: BMW 535

From Android car stereo Store. I claimed, that phone calls are by default routed via Carplay's Bluetooth, not via car's BT. After installing i 50 times made calls, disconnected and reconnected Carplay on the phone, after this seems memorise, that phone call must make by default via car-s BT.

They given me instruction for update:

bmw carplay Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!f8chgYaI!sLT1Ncahf...5rqBJEQSevWBeA
Operation steps:
1. Unzip 'bmwe客户版v2.0.2.7.gpe.b.rar', then copy the upgrade file "ISPBOOOT.BIN" into the root directory of the USB flash drive
2. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port
3. Power on the CarPlay system to enter the main menu,
click 'Setting'-- 'User Upgrade' -- 'System update'
4. The following menu appears and click “√”, the system will be upgraded

5. Wait for about 1 minute, the upgrade process will occur during the process, and the power cannot be cut off during the process.
6. After the upgrade is completed, it will switch back to the original car interface

Last edited by sass24; 01-27-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
cossie1624.50
muniz_ri447.50
      01-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #605
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Thanks for sharing!

I extracted it and compared both squashfs partitions.
Good news first: They seem to be working on different screen resolutions.

The folder structure is now:

Code:
/etc/accessory/
/etc/accessory_0/
/etc/accessory_3/
/etc/accessory_7/
/etc/accessory_m/
/etc/androidauto/
/etc/androidauto_0/
/etc/androidauto_3/
/etc/androidauto_7/
/etc/androidauto_m/
/etc/aoa_feature/
And the boot script 'sdk_go.sh' contains:

Code:
if [ -z "$(grep cartype=5 /proc/cmdline)" ]; then
grep bdtype=1 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_m /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=1 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_m /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
else
grep bdtype=0 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_0 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=0 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_0 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
grep bdtype=3 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_3 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=3 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_3 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
grep bdtype=7 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_7 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=7 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_7 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
fi

The bad news is that the files are almost identical, so it doesn't matter which one is loaded.
But at least they are working on it.

Other interesting finding:

Name:  gplink_unichip.png
Views: 1778
Size:  25.2 KB

Unichip seems to have bought the SoC as well

The automatic day/night mode feature seems to be the same as in the latest Bimmertech update (not very surprising, the software comes from Sunplus).
Also number 6 with the P to D switch.

I wonder what that test code from number 3 is.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #606
cristisb15
Rep
Drives: F34 320xD

Hello,

Has anyone installed it on a F34 with NBT nav ? Is there any space under the unit or do i have to install it in the glovebox ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #607
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Thanks for sharing!

I extracted it and compared both squashfs partitions.
Good news first: They seem to be working on different screen resolutions.

The folder structure is now:

Code:
/etc/accessory/
/etc/accessory_0/
/etc/accessory_3/
/etc/accessory_7/
/etc/accessory_m/
/etc/androidauto/
/etc/androidauto_0/
/etc/androidauto_3/
/etc/androidauto_7/
/etc/androidauto_m/
/etc/aoa_feature/
And the boot script 'sdk_go.sh' contains:

Code:
if [ -z "$(grep cartype=5 /proc/cmdline)" ]; then
grep bdtype=1 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_m /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=1 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_m /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
else
grep bdtype=0 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_0 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=0 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_0 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
grep bdtype=3 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_3 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=3 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_3 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
grep bdtype=7 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory_7 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/accessory
grep bdtype=7 /proc/cmdline > /dev/null && mount /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto_7 /tmp/sp/usr/local/etc/androidauto
fi

The bad news is that the files are almost identical, so it doesn't matter which one is loaded.
But at least they are working on it.

Other interesting finding:

Attachment 2227563

Unichip seems to have bought the SoC as well

The automatic day/night mode feature seems to be the same as in the latest Bimmertech update (not very surprising, the software comes from Sunplus).
Also number 6 with the P to D switch.

I wonder what that test code from number 3 is.
I was just comparing with the Bimmertech update and the only real changes between the 2 that I spotted (other than the odd icon), is Bimmertech rename GPLink as MMI. Also under telephoney, mute is set to false with bimmertech and true with andream.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #608
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Just for info (incase anyone else didn't notice it), I just found a setting in the menu (after the mcu update from December), you can set it to use the back button to switch to and from i-drive, instead of using the menu button.

Press and hold Back for 2 seconds to switch, for me this is much better than pressing and holding menu.

Also just curious but which is the correct side for the menu bar at the side with the genuine BMW version of Carplay in the uk, is it on the left or the right (google doesn't seem to help with this as there are pictures with both, but from 3rd party coders, rather than official bmw).
I also just noticed a setting that changes the i-drive controller left/right toggle to up/down. My i-drive controller only moves left/right so this setting allows me to access pop-up notifications for incoming calls and text messages.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #609
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass24 View Post
From Android car stereo Store. I claimed, that phone calls are by default routed via Carplay's Bluetooth, not via car's BT. After installing i 50 times made calls, disconnected and reconnected Carplay on the phone, after this seems memorise, that phone call must make by default via car-s BT.

They given me instruction for update:

bmw carplay Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!f8chgYaI!sLT1Ncahf...5rqBJEQSevWBeA
Operation steps:
1. Unzip 'bmwe客户版v2.0.2.7.gpe.b.rar', then copy the upgrade file "ISPBOOOT.BIN" into the root directory of the USB flash drive
2. Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port
3. Power on the CarPlay system to enter the main menu,
click 'Setting'-- 'User Upgrade' -- 'System update'
4. The following menu appears and click “√”, the system will be upgraded

5. Wait for about 1 minute, the upgrade process will occur during the process, and the power cannot be cut off during the process.
6. After the upgrade is completed, it will switch back to the original car interface
Thank you for sharing this update.

But on Android when I disable the mmi's BT call permission it automatically turns itself back on. However it still seems that calls are routed via the BMW BT connection. And the only drawback I have noticed of having both BT connections at the same time is a double beep and cancellation of the google assistant when using the voice button on the steering wheel. The double beep doesn't happen when long-pressing the i-drive controller to trigger the google assistant.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #610
Caught
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisb15 View Post
Hello,
Has anyone installed it on a F34 with NBT nav ? Is there any space under the unit or do i have to install it in the glovebox ?
Thanks
In fact I did my F34 last weekend and there was plenty of space
You can check it very easy if you remove the cover panel below the radio.

I need also to say a big thanks to all the people and topic starter who share their experience.

Last edited by Caught; 01-27-2020 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      01-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #611
De1ta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Thanks for everyone who has participated in this thread and especially OP!

I'm so glad I found this before pulling the trigger on the Bimmertech for almost 3x as much...

I do have a couple questions...I've read every page and hopefully not retreading...

1. I read a few posts about issues with the parking sensors? What exactly is the issue/is it still an issue?

2. I haven't seen anyone comment about the CarPlay texting? Is this seamless? (Siri will guide you through voice-to-text responses to texts you receive)

3. If you have BT for calls on ID, and audio on CarPlay, what happens to texts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #612
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by De1ta View Post
Thanks for everyone who has participated in this thread and especially OP!

I'm so glad I found this before pulling the trigger on the Bimmertech for almost 3x as much...

I do have a couple questions...I've read every page and hopefully not retreading...

Thanks!
1. Early firmwares were causing issues with rear view camera and parking sensors. It has been working well since I updated to the latest firmware a month ago.

2. I am always able to use the mic without issues to play contents and send SMS and Whatsapp messages.

3. Since I installed the MMI, phone calls using CarPlay (and sometime the MMI Bluetooth for some reason), have been crystal clear!

I didn't need to use ID Bluetooth to live with the complex setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:41 AM   #613
De1ta
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I didn't need to use ID Bluetooth to live with the complex setup.
Thanks for the responses, good to hear!

What is "the complex setup"?

I'm a little confused about the connections...you can connect your phone via bluetooth to ID, via bluetooth to andream, or/and via wifi to andream?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #614
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by De1ta View Post
Thanks for the responses, good to hear!

What is "the complex setup"?

I'm a little confused about the connections...you can connect your phone via bluetooth to ID, via bluetooth to andream, or/and via wifi to andream?

The moment iPhone registers with the head unit, it configures Bluetooth and WiFi together.

Here is a quote about how it works from https://connectedcarlife.com/tech/ho...carplay-work/:

Quote:
Wireless CarPlay has three requirements, a Bluetooth connection, a Wi-Fi access point, and location data. Here’s is a simplified breakdown of the entire process:
  1. To initialize the connection the phone uses Bluetooth to send a signal to the head unit requesting to connect.
  2. Once the Bluetooth connection is made the phone will request wireless credentials to the Wi-Fi access point.
  3. Upon confirmation the head unit will send the wireless credentials to the iPhone, which will cause the phone to search and join the Wi-Fi access point.
  4. After the Wi-Fi connection has been established, the Bluetooth signal will disconnect and all audio and video will be transferred over Wi-Fi.
  5. And now you’re set, you now can use CarPlay wirelessly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #615
constantind
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrchee View Post
Do you have optical cables on original connector? If so, did you move them to the carplay harness?
I have moved them.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:46 PM   #616
mastrchee
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrchee View Post
I have moved them.
Thanks
I assume the sound is working now?
Appreciate 0