F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Noise while turning.
Extreme Powerhouse

03-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Noise while turning.

Hello!

I have a 2016 428XI with 65k on the clock, and this one has stumped me so far...

I am having an issue that has been quite difficult for me to pin down so far. While at speed (approx 50-60mph) if I make a long left turn (putting pressure on the drivers side) I have a cyclical humming, which I figured I had nailed down to a wheel bearing, or inner CV joint. It sounds like it is coming from right under me, so I am assuming it is in the front end. The noise is sort of present driving straight, and completely goes away turning left. I have replaced the drivers side wheel bearing hub, and the entire CV axle assembly, but it persists. Anybody have a thought on what this could be? It has been driving me nuts, and has persisted through my summer and winter tires, so I am doubting the tires are the culprit.

I did look at the control arms, and steering knuckle but it all seems tight, and no play. Doesnt mean it isnt it, but I expected to find something obvious at this point!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

A long left turn, puts the load on the rt. side of car. Not sure your parts are returnable now, but in any case, it's not a bad idea to replace things like this in pairs.

Hope that's it for you. Good luck.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
A long left turn, puts the load on the rt. side of car. Not sure your parts are returnable now, but in any case, it's not a bad idea to replace things like this in pairs.

Hope that's it for you. Good luck.
I misspoke on that lol, meant to say long right turn and when turning left it goes away mostly. And it may be that I should have done both sides, was just trying to limit the damage to the pocketbook all at once.

Thanks for your response
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

If you haven't checked your brake shield, I know they can get bent when removing wheels and can also result in a rotational click. Spin wheel slowly and see if you can pick up a hit/sound.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you haven't checked your brake shield, I know they can get bent when removing wheels and can also result in a rotational click. Spin wheel slowly and see if you can pick up a hit/sound.
Thanks for the response! I will check that out, I also have my local Indy remounting my summer tires and taking a peak while under there. I've been a maintenance technician for 15 years, so it's driving me crazy that I haven't been able to narrow it down yet! Granted I work on machinery and not cars, but the curiosity is still there!

I'll update if anything is found.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:37 AM   #6
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Not sure what sounds the steering system makes in this car when it's got issues, but it'd be under strain handling a high-speed turn. Also, cyclic humming makes me wonder if your brakes might be involved? Could a pad be touching a rotor 'only' in a turn? Have you tightened all your wheel bolts? (nothing personal!)

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what sounds the steering system makes in this car when it's got issues, but it'd be under strain handling a high-speed turn. Also, cyclic humming makes me wonder if your brakes might be involved? Could a pad be touching a rotor 'only' in a turn? Have you tightened all your wheel bolts? (nothing personal!)
No offense taken!

I just got my tires swapped (winters taken off for the summer tires) and the noise is still there but much quieter, which I kind of expected. The back of the drivers side rotor has a slight groove in it, so I am going to order the parts and change the rotors and pads, which I had expected to do soon anyways.

I am thinking though, possibly a worn mount or bushing somewhere, the noise is quieter with the non run flat non winter tires but still present even in the turns. So it's almost like there is a noise transmission still occurring through something.

Will update as this progresses!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #8
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
Quote:
No offense taken!

I just got my tires swapped (winters taken off for the summer tires) and the noise is still there but much quieter, which I kind of expected. The back of the drivers side rotor has a slight groove in it, so I am going to order the parts and change the rotors and pads, which I had expected to do soon anyways.

I am thinking though, possibly a worn mount or bushing somewhere, the noise is quieter with the non run flat non winter tires but still present even in the turns. So it's almost like there is a noise transmission still occurring through something.

Will update as this progresses!

Thanks!
So I have all new rotors and pads now, shields checked and not rubbing. The noise it like a humming that pulses quicker as I turn right (only long right turns, I don't hear it turning at an intersection per say). So to recap, have new drivers side front cv axle, new drivers side wheel bearing hub, all new front and rear pads and rotors. I am going to do motor mounts in a week or so, but I am not sure that is it. Could it possibly be the rear and I'm just hearing it up front? Any other car I've owned I was able to figure this out easy, but I'm not seeing any obvious wear or slop. Only major thing I'm thinking is possibly differential in the front, but I'm not sure if that would change pitch and frequency of sound during a turn like this.

Any further suggestions, it's hard to hear on a phone video, but I can tell, and now that I've heard it, I can't not hear it lol.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Do you have aftermarket wheels or tires?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #10
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Do you have aftermarket wheels or tires?
Running stock 19" wheels and General Gmax AS05 tires, non run flat. It also did it with my winters (pirelli sotozero 3) the noise nearly goes away turning to the left, and louder with changing frequency based on speed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #11
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

I wonder if you're really just hearing the sounds the car makes. I know I'm hearing a front diff when I never had one before.

Only thing I can think of that would explain the timing of your sound is a bad wheel bearing, but my experience is that you'd hear a rhythmic 'cluck' sound...maybe if you'd heard that earlier, it could have turned into a hum?

...and sounds often seem like they're from someplace but fool you.

...and a bump!

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if you're really just hearing the sounds the car makes. I know I'm hearing a front diff when I never had one before.

Only thing I can think of that would explain the timing of your sound is a bad wheel bearing, but my experience is that you'd hear a rhythmic 'cluck' sound...maybe if you'd heard that earlier, it could have turned into a hum?

...and sounds often seem like they're from someplace but fool you.

...and a bump!
I'm starting to think it could be somewhere else but projecting from the front end. It sounds like the front driver wheel bearing! But after changing it, nothing changed.

I love this car, but man it is way easier to track these noises down on a Honda or Chevy lol

Thanks for all the input guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #13
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Have you tried lifting your car up and looking for noises at the corners? You can check for play in bushings and listen for sounds when you turn either wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #14
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Late reply!

I have lifted it up, nothing seems to be loose or making any different noises side to side. I can also now feel a bit of what id consider to be a grinding noise when braking, pads and rotors are in excellent shape. Also, if this makes a difference, the noise while turning is definitely more pronounced if I have several people with me. It nearly goes away when I am turning left, and gets louder and faster when turning right.

I have also swapped the tires around to see if it follows, but it did it with my winters as well, so I didnt figure that would change anything. I just want it to stick its tongue out and say HERE I AM! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Have you tried jacking it up and just spinning the wheel? My 2016 had an issue in the right front what an indy called "rail bearing". When they place a car on the train, if the wheel bearing is resting on a needle, you can get arcing from ESD which ends up scoring the bearing. You get a rough "rumbling" feel when you spin the wheel.

My car had a very pronounced hum at higher speeds. Dealer swapped it under warranty and it's been quiet for the past 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #16
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Have you tried jacking it up and just spinning the wheel? My 2016 had an issue in the right front what an indy called "rail bearing". When they place a car on the train, if the wheel bearing is resting on a needle, you can get arcing from ESD which ends up scoring the bearing. You get a rough "rumbling" feel when you spin the wheel.

My car had a very pronounced hum at higher speeds. Dealer swapped it under warranty and it's been quiet for the past 3 years.
I will look into that! It's harder with Xdrive to spin the wheel because the diff turns the other one as well, but I'll give it another look, thanks for the reply!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:39 AM   #17
Twodawgs
Rep
Drives: 2015 328D

If your hearing the noise on a long right hand turn and it goes away somewhat on the left turn, I would think you have a bad right wheel bearing. It is usually when the bad bearing is on the inside of the turn that it makes the noise in my experience. If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope, put a handle of a screw driver to your ear and blade of the screw driver to the hub as the wheel is spinning. Compare both front.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:21 PM   #18
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodawgs View Post
If your hearing the noise on a long right hand turn and it goes away somewhat on the left turn, I would think you have a bad right wheel bearing. It is usually when the bad bearing is on the inside of the turn that it makes the noise in my experience. If you don't have a mechanics stethoscope, put a handle of a screw driver to your ear and blade of the screw driver to the hub as the wheel is spinning. Compare both front.
Thanks for your response,

I will check this, I have a mechanics stethoscope at work.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 11:23 PM   #19
dablues
Rep
Drives: ‘17 BMW 330i X-Drive

Exact same thing I hear on my ‘17 330i XDrive with 31k miles! Had my local very good Indy shop look at it and they couldn’t find anything. They said that it could just be hearing the diff at work. Hey, if they say it’s nice and tight, I’ll stop worrying I guess!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #20
Faoctubre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328I F30

Hi Hollovoid. Have you been able to fix the rumbling noise on your car? I’ve had the same issue for some time and I can’t pinpoint what it is. Changed the driver wheel bearing hub. Some change but not complete. Noise seems to be directional. Very low while straight or left but Noisier to the other side. Also seems like wheel bearing with some feeling of road on the steering wheel if you understand what I m trying to say. I’d appreciate your help on this
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2023, 08:10 PM   #21
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Hi sorry for not getting back.

My issue ended up being drivers side cv shaft. Though, one bit of advice if that ends up being your issue…

Go oem, I tried a cheaper one and it was terrible immediately. They are foolish expensive, but the oem one was perfectly quiet and vibration free right away.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0