F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > New to BMW and looking for advice
GetBMWParts

05-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #23
pgy915
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 328i GT

Quick Tip for you :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknydon View Post
I'm mad at myself that I didn't act fast enough on a 2014 328 gt in estoril blue fully loaded including M sport. It was listed at $25800 with 33k miles cpo. I've searched on cars.com and can't find any good deals �� Any suggestions?
Bummer...Check this one out! Would check if its CPO though.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=171961579

Hypothetical situation below.
Regarding the negotiation. Whenever you see a price reduction from ticket, you know the car has been sitting in the lot for too long. General rule for dealerships is that each vehicle usually has a 30, 60, 90, 120 day time frame for them to sell (days dependent on dealer/owner). When you look at the car, I would try to ask how long the "beautiful" car has been sitting under the sun. Most likely they will lie to you, but if you get lucky they will be honest. Anywhere between 60 -120, you will have a great chance at reducing the price. This is because each car that sits there accrues interest and space costs everyday. Eventually, if the car is not getting sold, they are forced to auction, in which they would much rather just give it to you for a great deal (if you negotiate for it).

I would bring a friend and play good cop bad cop. You love the car, your friend hates it. Make sure you let them know your decision is highly dependent on your friend. I.e. If they car is $25k, I would tell them you're on a $20k budget. Sales person will ask his "manager" who will come back and say they best they can do is $24,500. Be honest and tell them that's too high, especially compared to your budget and a car that's not selling. They'll come back with $24,000. Leave and tell them you're just going to try a dealership thats willing to work for you. They will call you the next morning offering $23,500. Tell them you'll down payment $2-3k, which should get you a bit closer to $20k. If they don't they don't and be patient!

Just know dealerships always have A LOT of wiggle room and remind them you're doing them a favor if the car is not selling (lucky for us, a lot of people think GTs are ugly). Three upsells for each vehicle...1) sales person 2) dealership 3) manufacture. Try your best to cut out 1 and 2.

Hope this helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #24
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgy915 View Post

It's a used car dealer, not a BMW dealer, so no CPO. They seem to specialize in German cars, so they might know what they're doing. I'd want at least a 1 year airtight warranty.
There's not a lot of used GTs about, as there aren't a lot of new ones either, and the GT owner is more likely to be older and doesn't change cars that often.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #25
pgy915
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's a used car dealer, not a BMW dealer, so no CPO. They seem to specialize in German cars, so they might know what they're doing. I'd want at least a 1 year airtight warranty.
There's not a lot of used GTs about, as there aren't a lot of new ones either, and the GT owner is more likely to be older and doesn't change cars that often.
Thanks for spotting that!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:

Hypothetical situation below.
Regarding the negotiation. Whenever you see a price reduction from ticket, you know the car has been sitting in the lot for too long. General rule for dealerships is that each vehicle usually has a 30, 60, 90, 120 day time frame for them to sell (days dependent on dealer/owner). When you look at the car, I would try to ask how long the "beautiful" car has been sitting under the sun. Most likely they will lie to you, but if you get lucky they will be honest. Anywhere between 60 -120, you will have a great chance at reducing the price. This is because each car that sits there accrues interest and space costs everyday. Eventually, if the car is not getting sold, they are forced to auction, in which they would much rather just give it to you for a great deal (if you negotiate for it).

I would bring a friend and play good cop bad cop. You love the car, your friend hates it. Make sure you let them know your decision is highly dependent on your friend. I.e. If they car is $25k, I would tell them you're on a $20k budget. Sales person will ask his "manager" who will come back and say they best they can do is $24,500. Be honest and tell them that's too high, especially compared to your budget and a car that's not selling. They'll come back with $24,000. Leave and tell them you're just going to try a dealership thats willing to work for you. They will call you the next morning offering $23,500. Tell them you'll down payment $2-3k, which should get you a bit closer to $20k. If they don't they don't and be patient!

Just know dealerships always have A LOT of wiggle room and remind them you're doing them a favor if the car is not selling (lucky for us, a lot of people think GTs are ugly). Three upsells for each vehicle...1) sales person 2) dealership 3) manufacture. Try your best to cut out 1 and 2.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yeah I was pretty stupid, the car was listed for over a month and price was reduced 3x!! I thought I'd wait a bit longer for an even better price but someone snatched it up right after I emailed the sales manager sigh. Guess I will have to be patient. I'm even entertaining the idea of buying sight unseen as there are more options that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Holy shit that's the GT that got away from me!! It was just sold at BMW of Roxbury in NJ. Wowww. It was originally listed at 30+
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 12:34 AM   #28
pgy915
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Holy shit that's the GT that got away from me!! It was just sold at BMW of Roxbury in NJ. Wowww. It was originally listed at 30+
That's terrible!!! Its okay i'm sure there will be more, but that was definitely a killer deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 07:52 AM   #29
Deli
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
I actually almost bought this car, but I decided early that I've only ever owned 4 cylinders and I want to own an inline 6 before they go the way of the dinosaurs. The deal was pretty amazing though.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
Deli
Rep

Quote:
If you're planning to finance the GT, I would 100% recommend going the CPO route. In my opinion, why buy new when cars are probably the quickest depreciating asset? The advantage of going CPO is that you know its well inspected by BMW, while you can often negotiate for extended warranty (if not already included). Also, if you care about APR, they periodically have killer promotions, making patience your best friend. I acquired my 2014 328i GT ($26k out the door / 17k miles) with $3k down with 1.9% APR 5 yrs. CPO site below.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/financing-and-special-offers/

I honestly do not have one negative comment regarding my purchase. The car has ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport + modes, which cater to your emotions the day you drive the car. Although i'm typically in an office Mon-Fri (finance), the outdoors is what I love. This car provides the class/status I need for showing up to meetings, yet also embody the room for my hiking/mountain biking/snow boarding gear (this can translate to children I guess). Overall, this car is ideal for someone who is still hungry for the occasional adrenaline rush, but also needs the additional space for gear or in your case, children. :]

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions on negotiating with dealerships. A buddy of mine led a merger for two car manufactures. Gave me a lot of "insider scoop" on when to buy and when dealerships are most desperate to sell (they accrue space and interest expenditures everyday the car sits on the lot).
Thank you for all the insight. In truth I was always looking at used since I've gotten bitten before with the depreciation of a new car. I was just deciding if a CPO was worth the extra $2-3k over a regular used car that was inspected, and it looks like most people agree the peace of mind is worth it.

I've found the car I want which is a fully loaded CPO 2014 estoril blue 335 with 34k miles, but the issue is it's 4 hours away so I've been only negotiating through email. Original price was $38k and I've already got them down to $35k by playing the waiting game. My hope is to get them down a bit more, but I think they are getting impatient with me. It has to be worth it to me to make that drive since I'm alright waiting. My biggest worry is they are going to rob me on my trade in knowing that once I'm there, I won't leave without the new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #31
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
I've found the car I want which is a fully loaded CPO 2014 estoril blue 335 with 34k miles, but the issue is it's 4 hours away so I've been only negotiating through email. Original price was $38k and I've already got them down to $35k by playing the waiting game.
Mine wasn't MSport or loaded, only Nav and rearview cam/PDC as options, but that's all I wanted, and it kept the price to $45k delivered. I wouldn't rule out new.
Quote:
My biggest worry is they are going to rob me on my trade in knowing that once I'm there, I won't leave without the new car.
Selling it yourself for better $$ is a snap with the various on-line options. You can usually negotiate a better price if the dealer knows there's no trade, as that's something most would rather not deal with anyway, especially if it's not a brand they sell new.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #32
pgy915
United_States
Rep

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
Thank you for all the insight. In truth I was always looking at used since I've gotten bitten before with the depreciation of a new car. I was just deciding if a CPO was worth the extra $2-3k over a regular used car that was inspected, and it looks like most people agree the peace of mind is worth it.

I've found the car I want which is a fully loaded CPO 2014 estoril blue 335 with 34k miles, but the issue is it's 4 hours away so I've been only negotiating through email. Original price was $38k and I've already got them down to $35k by playing the waiting game. My hope is to get them down a bit more, but I think they are getting impatient with me. It has to be worth it to me to make that drive since I'm alright waiting. My biggest worry is they are going to rob me on my trade in knowing that once I'm there, I won't leave without the new car.
Never think they're getting impatient, they are just beginning to worry about another price reduction for you. What I would do is wait for them to call you again, or call them back if you're hungry. Let them know you're looking at a comparable vehicle (BMW/Mercedes). Some points:

1. You love the GT, but your wife loves the "other vehicle".
2. It has lower or similar miles to the GT in discussion. Well maintained.
3. The other dealership is willing to go $30k.
4. The other dealership is closer and way more convenient for you. However, because the final decision is yours, give the GT dealer one more chance. Tell them you're willing to drive 4 hours and take the car home "TODAY", but only if they can meet you at $30k (or your preferred price). You're doing them a BIG favor by taking it off the lot so they can replace the GT with another car that will sell quicker and immediately make their money back if they sold the GT to you at a loss.
5. Go get your GT (if things play out well and someone doesn't acquire before you).

Some things to keep in mind:
1. If you're financing, just remember the dealership sets the APR as they have their own credit agency. This means after you get the price you want, its time to negotiate the APR. If its too high, offer to put some money down - dealership will put up a HUGE fight, but will work with you.
2. If dealership sells to you at a loss, they will make the money back the moment they sell another car to someone who doesn't care much about the best price.
3. When dealership tells you they can NOT go any lower...you probably still have three more price reduction rounds to go. When dealership tells you i'm sorry, but I just cant go any lower and i'm going to have to just wait for someone else to buy the GT - its time for you to buy the GT if the price is right.

Good luck man!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #33
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm mad at myself that I didn't act fast enough on a 2014 328 gt in estoril blue fully loaded including M sport. It was listed at $25800 with 33k miles cpo. I've searched on cars.com and can't find any good deals 😔 Any suggestions?
Don't bother with the 328GT, get a more reliable engine 335GT
Go on PenFed.org (Credit Union) or Carmax website

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #34
selva19
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 328D

Please ,consider the cost of maintenance, if it is not CPO then better buy a BMW Extended Warranty. I was doing lot of research and calling all BMW dealers in Texas but I was very happy to find Brian Smith,Finance Manager @ BMW of Wilmington who was very straight forward and the lowest price quoted for 7 (4+3)ears and for 100k miles and I highly recommend him to do buy extended factory warranty. hope it helps ,and I have beautiful 2014 328d fully loaded BMW and I am proud owner of that beast.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #35
Deli
Rep

So if everything checks out on the PPI, I may be picking up a new to me car tonight. It's not a CPO'ed as it's coming from another dealer, but they are coming in at a price $4,000 less than anyone else I've negotiated with and the car has literally every package on it. Even though people have scared me a bit on BMW maintenance and the issues that can happen, the $4k was just too enticing. It still has 8 months left of original warranty, so I figure I can take that savings and put it in a side account for any issues that come up or just purchase the extended warranty which is even longer than the CPO warranty. Anyways, thanks for all the recommendations and help and looking forward to being more active on this forum once I get my 335 GT.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #36
Lux_GT
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW Touareg TDI

Thank you Deli and all for the wonderful discussion on this thread.

For the past several weeks I have also been considering the purchase of a slightly used 3 GT.

There are very few mid-size sport sedans on the market which can accommodate a 6' 4'' height driver and two convertible rear facing child seats.

On Friday, I took delivery of a 2014 335xi GT, Luxury in Midnight Blue on Tan, which is loaded with every options including the Adaptive M Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #37
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
+1, you the rear seats on sedan have enough room, but test drive if you have not already. Also get the 335, if you get the 4 cylinder, you will regret it very quickly on a 4,000-pound car.
Interesting. I came from a 1m coupe and thought the 2017 GT was really slow. 0-60 5.9. Then I looked up my former cars. It's 0-60 was close to my 1997 M3 5.7 which I thought was fast. MY 2001 Z3 3.0 was 5.8.

Of Course compared to my 2011 1m 4.1 it is slow but it has other charms and the amount of low end torque in Sport mode is pleasing.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #38
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
First used car since 1978

Quote:
If you're planning to finance the GT, I would 100% recommend going the CPO route. In my opinion, why buy new when cars are probably the quickest depreciating asset? The advantage of going CPO is that you know its well inspected by BMW, while you can often negotiate for extended warranty (if not already included). Also, if you care about APR, they periodically have killer promotions, making patience your best friend. I acquired my 2014 328i GT ($26k out the door / 17k miles) with $3k down with 1.9% APR 5 yrs. CPO site below.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/financing-and-special-offers/

I honestly do not have one negative comment regarding my purchase. The car has ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Sport + modes, which cater to your emotions the day you drive the car. Although i'm typically in an office Mon-Fri (finance), the outdoors is what I love. This car provides the class/status I need for showing up to meetings, yet also embody the room for my hiking/mountain biking/snow boarding gear (this can translate to children I guess). Overall, this car is ideal for someone who is still hungry for the occasional adrenaline rush, but also needs the additional space for gear or in your case, children. :]

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions on negotiating with dealerships. A buddy of mine led a merger for two car manufactures. Gave me a lot of "insider scoop" on when to buy and when dealerships are most desperate to sell (they accrue space and interest expenditures everyday the car sits on the lot).

This is my first used car CPO and a lease. I leased because I didn't know whether I wanted such a large car and DID know I did not want a crossover or SUV. If I decidse to keep the car I am covered till 2021. My car had only 4000 miles on it and by all intents it is new. I was looking at new cars and just couldn't pass this up.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:36 PM   #39
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
+1, you the rear seats on sedan have enough room, but test drive if you have not already. Also get the 335, if you get the 4 cylinder, you will regret it very quickly on a 4,000-pound car.
Interesting. I came from a 1m coupe and thought the 2017 GT was really slow. 0-60 5.9. Then I looked up my former cars. It's 0-60 was close to my 1997 M3 5.7 which I thought was fast. MY 2001 Z3 3.0 was 5.8.

Of Course compared to my 2011 1m 4.1 it is slow but it has other charms and the amount of low end torque in Sport mode is pleasing.
Not sure where you're getting that 5.9 time from but my car is much closer to 5 flat when it was stock. Now that I have all the upgrades, I'm curious to see what times it has. Are you referring to a 4cyl vs 6?

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #40
NewToBMWGT
Rep
Drives: Astra

Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Also, how's the trunk for buggies + luggage etc.

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:33 AM   #41
Markoff Chaney
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToBMWGT View Post
Hi everyone

Keen to buy our first GT but how is the GT for getting the kids in / out of their booster seats?

Do you think the seats sit high enough not to break your back? I'm about 6.1 so if it's anything like the normal 3 series that would be certainly a pain the ... back. We're both actually pretty tall.

I love the GT looks and pretty much everything about it. The height is my only worry and thus I'm in between the GT or a Rav4.

Also, how's the trunk for buggies + luggage etc.

Thanks all!!
The Rav4 is going to obviously be easier to get the kids in and out of because it is an SUV... ish. The GT sits a bit higher, at least an inch I think? than the usual 3 series sedan, and the back seats have way more legroom.

The thing is a family transporting machine, mine was used @50k miles and had the dad marks to show with scratches from strollers loading in and out of the very very large trunk space.

Get the GT, it is fun to drive and has all the stuff plus better safety by handling and braking.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #42
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My daughter had a RAV4, one ride in it was enough to convince me that I'd never want to own one. As for the kid seats, accessing them is as much a matter of rear seat legroom as vehicle height. The rear seat legroom of the F34 is more than a Highlander.
Appreciate 0