F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White '13 335i XDrive

Was curious what you guys thought. it seems the guys behind the xHP flasher have an android app called XDelete that will successfully disable Xdrive without impairing any other functions of the vehicle. Currently it only supports E series vehicles the few reviews I see of it show that it works pretty good. They claim the F series cars will be supported some time soon. Is $150 worth it to disable XDrive to you? I can see this being useful for users who have an XDrive vehicle but no AWD dynos near them and the people who want to do the occasional burnout. Even after disabling you still will have the extra weight and XDrive suspension obviously so I dont know how this will help in the driveability department.

Edit: I forgot to mention the creator says that you can switch back and forth when ever you feel like it. Similar to flashing a tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #2
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
I'm definitely getting xDelete once it becomes available for the F3x. Will use it during warmer months, then revert to stock during the winter.

Early reports from E90 owners indicate slightly improved steering feel, reduced understeer, and of course no more torque steer.
Appreciate 4
      01-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #3
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Curious. So you are stuck with all the downsides (weight, drivetrain loss, higher price/maintenance) and none of the upsides of xDrive (added traction/grip)? Why not buy RWD!
Appreciate 10
      01-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did the author of the app explain the science behind disabling xDrive system, which is a permanent AWD system?

One can theoretically remove the front drive shaft but other xDrive components will continue operate as intended.
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791430.50
      01-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #5
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I'd definitely consider this for the summer months -- would be fun to have a RWD car for part of the year. As long as I can switch it back and forth, as often as I'd like, and there's no other disadvantages, it sounds pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #6
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Did the author of the app explain the science behind disabling xDrive system, which is a permanent AWD system?

One can theoretically remove the front drive shaft but other xDrive components will continue operate as intended.
My guess is that it is just not transferring extra power to the front wheels and keeping the 60-40 split all the time. Just a guess and kinda fake RWD if so, thus me wondering.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I still think the creator of the app has a responsibility to disclose the science behind the software to make sure the changes are indeed safe.
Appreciate 4
      01-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I still think the creator of the app has a responsibility to disclose the science behind the software to make sure the changes are indeed safe.
no debate there, unless it is snake oil!

This seems like an improvement @6:48 !

Last edited by zambarossa; 01-21-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Blubaron791430.50
Poochie9099.00
      01-22-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Is this delete simply setting the transfer clutch to open? What else can it be? If so, would anyone with xDrive really want to drive thousands of miles with extra heat building up in the transfer box?

As I see it, it is going to add premature wear to the transfer box, even extra oil changes in the box may not be enough to keep longevity.

the other question; Does it impinge on DSC function in any way?

To me, this is not an engineering solution at all, could well be asking for trouble.
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I bought AWD for a reason - if I wanted RWD only, I would have purchased that way...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 7
Skyhigh1870.50
city1991228.00
Billfitz8169.50
ErkanTR16596.50
zrile91.00
      01-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #12
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

Is this delete simply setting the transfer clutch to open? What else can it be? If so, would anyone with xDrive really want to drive thousands of miles with extra heat building up in the transfer box?

As I see it, it is going to add premature wear to the transfer box, even extra oil changes in the box may not be enough to keep longevity.

the other question; Does it impinge on DSC function in any way?

To me, this is not an engineering solution at all, could well be asking for trouble.
The creator says it keeps DSC enabled and doesnt set any errors off it simply replaces a data set that will keep the transfer case clutch open this sending power to the rear wheels and none to the front. apparantly this is similar to how the M Xdrive works.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

here is a link to their thread on E90 Post on page 2 they have a FAQ pdf link.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557299

Curious how it would affect MPG considering your not driving the front wheels yet have the extra weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
I'd definitely consider this for the summer months -- would be fun to have a RWD car for part of the year. As long as I can switch it back and forth, as often as I'd like, and there's no other disadvantages, it sounds pretty cool.
Creator says it's like flashing a tune to your car. you hook up your phone and you can switch as much as you'd like with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #15
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
Why not buy RWD!
It's a small segment of the market, but US-spec F31s only come with xDrive. If RWD were an option then I'd have been all over it.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Edited post to include the fact that you CAN switch between RWD and AWD with XDelete wherever you feel like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue46 View Post
The creator says it keeps DSC enabled and doesnt set any errors off it simply replaces a data set that will keep the transfer case clutch open this sending power to the rear wheels and none to the front. apparantly this is similar to how the M Xdrive works.
Similar to how the M xDrive works, yes, but without the advanced hardware and controls of the ATC13 transfer case. M5 RWD mode benefits from the 'Efficiency Mode' built into the ATC13 design, with demand based oil controls, to reduce churning loses and wear.

One further point with the M5, transfer box oil changes are scheduled at every 5th oil service, ~50,000 miles intervals.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Curious how it would affect MPG considering your not driving the front wheels yet have the extra weight.
Quote:
Q: Whats that good for?
A:
• Being able to switch between modes, opens up various fun things. BMW and Mercedes understood that as well and made their latest and greatest AMG and M cars also switchable between AWD and RWD.
•You get two cars in one. RWD in Summer, AWD in Winter.
•Get rid of the understeery behaviour the xDrive system generates
•Drift your xDrive properly in dry/wet conditions
•Maybe do a burnout here and there
•Protect the xDrive from too much torque in big power cars
As the xDrive’s transfer components fail here and there and are expensive, you may also just turn it off, instead of repairing.
For me, lost credibility when I got to the highlighted statement.
Appreciate 2
jalx16.50
Poochie9099.00
      01-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Similar to how the M xDrive works, yes, but without the advanced hardware and controls of the ATC13 transfer case. M5 RWD mode benefits from the 'Efficiency Mode' built into the ATC13 design, with demand based oil controls, to reduce churning loses and wear.

One further point with the M5, transfer box oil changes are scheduled at every 5th oil service, ~50,000 miles intervals.
Good info! I dont know the full technical aspects of either transfer case. Just relaying the info I've read. I am curious how running this would affect our transfer case in the long term. The creator does say if you are going to be in a situation. where the front wheels are still and the rear are moving such as on a dyno you should give the transfer case time to cool off after a few runs.

on a side note what is the oil change interval for our transfercases?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #20
SteelBlue46
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Q: Whats that good for?
A:
• Being able to switch between modes, opens up various fun things. BMW and Mercedes understood that as well and made their latest and greatest AMG and M cars also switchable between AWD and RWD.
•You get two cars in one. RWD in Summer, AWD in Winter.
•Get rid of the understeery behaviour the xDrive system generates
•Drift your xDrive properly in dry/wet conditions
•Maybe do a burnout here and there
•Protect the xDrive from too much torque in big power cars
•[COLOR="Red"]As the xDrive’s transfer components fail here and there and are expensive, you may also just turn it off, instead of repairing.[/COLOR]
I could see using it in a pinch if an Xdrive component fails but it is alittle shocking to see them advising to just disable It and drive around with faulty potentially dangerous hardware.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #21
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
It seems like a solid case to me. I don't think they're saying that it causes them to fail. Moreso if yours does fail and you want to keep driving the car, you can just disable the xdrive to keep using it until you can repair/replace.

I think if someone with it posted an xdrive car doing a burnout or something to illustrate how much it really disables xdrive, it would clear things up. It does seem like it just pushes more power to the rear though. If it's like the high power GTRs you see do a rwd burnout and then an awd launch...that would be pretty crazy.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:47 AM   #22
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Can you do this on the fly while driving?
Appreciate 0